How are people liking the Model: Samples?

I’ve only had mine for a short time but I agree. Also, for me, the pads really have to be hit hard to get a sound from them - and that’s including after tweaking them in the menu. It’s a bit annoying because I miss notes here and there when they don’t respond because I didn’t hit them hard enough.

I think I would like this more at a lower price. At $400, it seems a little limited for the price. But I do like it overall for what it does.

1 Like

Superb bit of kit. Had small issue with upgrading the software, but that was more likely an issue with my MacBook. Finally got that done and have loaded some of my own samples on there. The included presets are also great to work with. I only wish there was a little more onboard storage so I could store more samples from my own personal library. Overall though, a great device with endless possibilities.

I wonder how well its selling worldwide?
I’d take a punt it’s doing quite well in the states. I have no data to back up this assumption but :slight_smile:

Anyone else still not 100% on how they feel about their MODEL SAMPLE?

I like it.

I just don’t know what I really needs versus want to do with it.

I am contemplating making it a high hat and bass only type unit.

I love the knobs and feel and it is nice on the live front.

I just find the kicks sometimes don’t get there for girth and density. For your kicks on the MODEL, do you compress kicks prior?

I also find some inconsistencies with the knobs and FX as well as filter. I feel like the turns don’t always yield the same results.

I love it and find live I can do a lot quick.

But the strongest sounds I get from it are hats/303/other one shot bass.

I haven’t explored a lot of single cycle stuff yet on it.

What say you?

I got it pretty early, but I am hard pressed to really have a defined space for its use.

Appreciate hearing your use and patterns?

It’s a Sample Player. It can play whatever you want. Try some pre-compressed material. Maybe add distortion too?

1 Like

Right, aware.

I just find that same samples in other devices like Circuit, Digitakt, and Octatrack…Model gives me less robust kick audio dynamics as opposed to others. It was just an observation I had observed with samples in my catalog when used same way.

I don’t know how the internal algorithms handle the kicks, but I feel like it might be able to be improved.

But, may be wrong.

1 Like

…the ugly model from sweden…is a very cool instrument…for starters…
for everybody else, especially for people who already got some elektron gear, it’s a pretty nice add on…

so ur approach, to let it just do dedicated missions, like bass and hihats is a good idea…
the overall chance changes in realtime are pretty unique…even closest bro, the takt, does’nt offer this yet…

volume/drive options become very cool, once u handle it in proper overall gainstaging…
takes a moment…

sound matches only in values, so same knob positions don’t do the trick in first place sometimes…

single cycles collection on board is extremely versatile…get it going…

with a heat behind it, it leaves no place for any further concerns about grittyness…of course.
but also without, the drive can do magic if carefully choosen, which sound it’s exposing and which not…proper gainstaging is the secret here…again…

3 Likes

I’ve only had it 24 hours or so and haven’t played with it much (spent most of the night loading samples on to it) but I’m into it so far. I like how the octave range is wider than on the OT, and that the pitch control and the chromatic key pitching are different, so you can transpose just by turning the pitch knob. I was going to just use it as a drum machine, but with a battery pack it seems like a nice OP-Z replacement.

I have to say though that the rubbery buttons are a little strange, and I’m already wondering if I could somehow pull them out and replace them with little mechanical switches, haha :smiley: maybe not but would be an interesting project.

Maybe it’s the internal summing/gain staging? How does it sound if you turn everything else down instead of trying to boost the kick?

The knobs have a kind of acceleration to them so I think this is the intended effect.

Ugly? I think it’s super cute!

4 Likes

…as ugly as cute…i just call it this way, because of it’s name…she’s a model and she’s looking good…refering to the kraftwerk evergreen combined with the fact that swedish models are usually top notch looking…while it’s white finish and different form factor were not everybodies darling in first place…

1 Like

Let me look at your points.

Thanks I appreciate your feedback.

Let me actually ask someone who would know…(how selling)

I feel like the pads either I got used to or they softened up.

I think the price for what it is…well…it is a real brand so it is at the top of its RSP

I played an incredibly impromptu set today using the model samples. One hour’s notice, no patterns prepared, 5 minutes before the set to load some samples.

Fkn nailed it. It was super frantic and not quite what it would have been if I’d actually planned something, but I had a lot of fun, and it was a surprisingly dynamic set. Using the control all feature to transpose everything at once was very effective. And the pads are great for tapping in rhythms on the spot.

13 Likes

The Black Friday deals were too good to pass up so I ordered a Model:Samples at a great price. Already own a Digitakt, but am interested in seeing how Model:Samples improves the workflow. I don’t really use Overbridge and tend to load samples in via the computer, so it doesn’t bother me that M:S lacks these things.

Does anyone here own both devices? Which do you prefer? Does the knob-per-function layout really make that big of a difference?

edit: Just noticed I had originally posted this in the wrong thread somehow. Sorry, mods. :drunk:

1 Like

Yeah, the black friday deals made the Model Samples a third of the price of the Digitakt, which actually prices it correctly and makes it waaay more attractive.

I do have both, the workflow is pretty dope. you can cook up a beat variation or some control-all frenzyness from one of the two devices and stay on your feet structure-wise with the other.
It is a pretty dope setup and very interesting live :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve had the Digitakt for a little over a year and while I love it, there seems to be a lot of it that I’m not using (I gravitate to the DN a lot more and its the brain of my setup). The deal this week has me contemplating checking out the MS and seeing if it replaces the DT, especially after reading through some of the thoughts here.

1 Like

This is a FRANTIC box…great word!

Gets wild and fun and out of control quick!

I am actually getting rid of the Circuit because the Model is doing the job…gonna replace Circuit synth sounds with a Mother and stick with the 6 samples of the Model in lieu of the Circuit.

Anyone else find the pads not sensitive? I had to whack mine pretty hard to get a sound out of them even after adjusting the setting. I ended up returning it because of that. Did I just get a bad unit?

You had a normal unit,
it is not a finger drummer’s dream like maschine or akai lastest mpd’s pads, but if you adjust the settings and drive the sound louder it gets the job done…

1 Like

yeah, Circuit is great if you dig the synth engine, but overall it isnt all that versatile.
Flipped a Circuit and a Sp404sx for a MC101 and a Circuit Monostation and I am loving the sonic sound variety I get out of it…with drums and sample mangling from the M:S it gets very very raunchy in a minute :wink:

1 Like