How are people liking the Model: Samples?

I managed to buy a second hand one from someone on Ebay. I was toying with the idea of jumping straight into the Analogue Rytm 2 but decided otherwise because of the deep menu diving. The ms is a great introduction to Elektron gear.

First thoughts are that I love the fact that it is pretty straightforward to get it running after a brief overview of the manual. I had my manual printed into a ring binded book so I could reference easily.

Too early to point out all of the positive points.

The negatives for me so far are that accessing samples is fiddly. I saw that others have commented on this too. Hopefully that could be improved with an update.

Will be great when the battery option is available to make it portable.

The biggest issue for me so far is that I find that the headphone volume is not loud enough. I have turned it up to 100% in the settings. I have also increased the volume of each sample in the 6 tracks but that can only be turned up to about 60% before the distortion begins. Luckily I have an MP3 player amplifier that I can plug in to boost it. But for portability this makes it a bit of a pain.

I would like to use it as a portable device to transfer my sound designed samples so that I can sketch out ideas before recording into Ableton.

I am trying to cut down the amount of time spent in the studio sat in front of the computer.

I think that the fun really begins when you have your own sample library inside ms. That takes time.

But so far I think that it was definitely worth buying.

Agreed on the sample selection. Coming from the DT, it sure needs some getting used to.

Now that I have played around with it a bit more and added my own samples, it is starting to feel easier.

Update: I have just realised that the issue is not with the ms, it is the plug adapter. I am having to use a reducer to plug my earbuds in and after I loaded my own samples, I noticed that they were louder than the factory samples. So I thought that I would see what it sounded like with the earbuds plugged directly in. I was hearing this mass reverb effect from all of the six tracks. I twiddled around with the earbuds jack and hey presto, decent volume.

Really starting to have fun with this device. I can see it is superb for sketching out ideas.

1 Like

Had some bonus time with it today, and it’s absolutely lovely, totally in line with my minimalist / immediate set-up envy. I can imagine a mini set up with my circuit and my m:s plus a mini mixer (a volca mix for instance)… put that in a backpack and I’m ready for a live set!

Now, the downsides:

• doing most of the navigation with the data encoder is a bit annoying, I’d rather have arrows / yes / no buttons.
  • can’t send the delay into the reverb, noooooo.
  • no attack setting obviously.
2 Likes

This 100%.
I posted in the Model Samples Only Music thread, and each one of the patterns I’ve made has usually been about a 30-60 minute affair.

It isn’t difficult to get around at all, and you get used to the quirks quickly. The muscle memory you get from the knobby interface is developed quickly.

Now that it’s been a few weeks, I’d like to address the things that I thought would take some getting used to.

I’ve recorded a few phrases at higher pitches in my DAW, pitching them down to -12 or-24 has given me that graininess back. Not something I can automate, but where there’s a will, there’s a way.

This took no time. The more I use it, the faster I am with it. Also, I LFO the filter a lot with the start phase tweaked to overcome lack of attack parameter (plus altering the start point)

I just use the LFO on pan if the LFO is otherwise unused. Helps with hats.

I bought an EHX platform for the stage, and it’s great.
In the studio I usually use the USB digital output on the M:S and use Ableton’s glue compressor. Not a big deal, and the vol/dist compresses somewhat.

I have my pattern save + project save routine down well. Totally used to the encoder now.

Otherwise, yea, this is probably my favorite Elektron. Reminds me of my old (20 years ago) MPC2000XL days of just working with wavs from single shots or recorded phrases, and doing what I can with the tools it has.

CTRL-ALL and Chance are huge for performance, I typically work out of a single pattern. I don’t feel limited in a bad way by the 6 tracks. But rather limited in a good way that makes me focus on the core elements of the tune. I don’t use sound locks much, just use OH Samples and being the decay down to make CH and OH on the same track.

The immediacy and portability fits my lifestyle. I can knock out a beat quickly and get some satisfaction, all I need is my M:S and my Beyer open back headphones.

Above all I’m glad this thing has me making techno again.

10 Likes

Made this one on my dining table last night.
I love this little box so much.

Using the delay at very short timings, (1, or 2) has been my jam lately for that phased sound.

8 Likes

I’ve had a Rytm since they first came out but recently swapped it for a Model:Samples and couldn’t be happier. While the Rytm is capable of way more than the M:S if you’re into sitting down and programming it, I felt like I endlessly tweaked things simply because I could (and should because it is capable of so much). The M:S imposes useful limitations and mostly eliminates menus. It’s simple, it’s fun, and I’m knocking out ideas quickly.

For me, the price point comes into play too. With the Rytm I always felt like I had to maximize on the investment because it costs a lot. I felt like if I was just using it as a “dumb” drum machine, I wasn’t fully utilizing it, and in a way throwing away the investment. M:S, on the other hand, is relatively inexpensive, and I feel like anything I can creatively work out within the confines of its limitations instantly makes me forget about its cost. Odd maybe, but a reality for me.

6 Likes

I feel the same when I use too expensive / too complex hardware.

1 Like

Cool! I’ve been thinking of a companion down the line for my recently bought Digitakt. Maybe a small synth but the MS looks neat too, having the drums there and all 8 tracks for melodic/whatever samples on the DT. Hmm!

Could you elaborate on why it makes you so much more productive compared to a digitakt or other machines for example ? Or is it something not that tangible and it just works for you ?

I tried a model:samples recently and returned it because it made me miss my digitakt more than anything, that’s why I’m asking.

1 Like

Lots of things. But here are the top 3 overall:

#1 the knobby, less menu’d interface.
This lets me get around fast and also puts all (most) of the parameters of a track on one page. I can tweak decay and start point and filter at the same time.
I can be inspired to go after a section of the sample voice because it is staring at me, not because I have to think about it.
It’s more than just “immediacy”. It’s instant access and keeping those parameters’ possibilities in your mind all the time.
Changing LFO speed in real-time to make my filter modulation give the hook a different vibe… that’s nothing I would have done nearly as much before on A4 or Rytm, etc.

#2 limitations,
“Your mission, should you choose to accept it: make a track in 30 minutes with 6 samples, filters, delay, reverb, and not much else”
This is the job, this is the tool. Having these details already set in stone means I have to focus on core things to make a good track:
Composition (sequencing), sample selection, sample manipulation.
I am not distracted with anything else.

Ready? Set? Go!
There is no attack, there will be no attack parameter available. How will you overcome it?
Use the lfo as an envelope, p-lock start point, lfo the filter and adjust start phase. Lots of ways to overcome this limitation and these “alleys” I have to traverse to reach my destination of simple “slow attack” become new spaces to be creative inside.

Often times I will get it done with 5 tracks and can use the 6th track as a variation of the main hook.
I do whole tunes in one pattern due to (lack of) kit implementation. I am okay with this, because it just forces me to create within that limitation as well. Make that one pattern as complex as possible and cleverly constructed with mutes, fills, parameter tweaks, conditionals, etc.

#3 feature implementation.
One knob HPF/LPF. Not a multi mode, not a band pass, not a base-width. The only Elektron with this filter scheme at the moment. Simple. Powerful.

Simple Reverb parameters. Reverb tone on one knob, something else/new to be creative with during breakdowns.

576 sample slots per project! No more managing the slot list, less use of chains as a means to an end (having lots of samples to work with)
Again, an Elektron first.

12 Likes

I must say, if I didn’t try it that would have sold it to me.

Personnally going from the digitakt to the M:S was a bad experience because everything is so familiar that’s it’s hard not to compare the two. It’s a solid machine that I would definitely recommend but I much prefer the digitakt workflow.

On the digitakt everything is at the same level interface wise (which can be seen as a drawback for some), while the M:S you have the hands-on knobs, and other functionnality are hard(er) to reach. Like LFO destinations off the top-of-my-head. None of this was a dealbreaker though but what convinced me to return it was the lack of sample slot lfo modulation (which makes sense for the machine but it was my number 1 trick on the DT).

I agree on the sample slot argument though, that was one of the most stressful thing about the digitakt having to choose your sample pool without even being set on what you want to do is a hassle (even if I never filled my sample slots it’s still a damocles sword hanging over your head).

Anyway, glad you find your match in this machine, hope that something resonates with me as much. On the plus side I have now M:S money alredy saved in case the announced box is a must have.

2 Likes

Hold LFO button, turn a parameter knob.
There, you just set the destination to that parameter. Turn it more and you are adjusting the depth.

Sample chains could overcome your slot modulation desires, but it does take some prep.

I get it though, it’s not for every single one of us, and probably less ideal for lovers of the Digitakt.
I loved the Rytm but disliked the Digitakt. We’ve all got our own preferences.

10 Likes

I just got a MS and I really like it. I love the Digitakt but found with my current rig it was a bit of overkill and My flow was working better without it… but I couldn’t get over the sound control and fun of I was missing . The MS fits perfectly in my rig now instead of the Digitakt.

It has the most important features; the sound the P lock the effects the trig conditions the sample lock. And everything is just right there an immediate it’s so fun to use.

I think it’s not a fair comparison that people keep forcing the MS vs Digitakt. If it’s the MS verse anything non Elektron, it’s so much more powerful sounds better and just fun to use compared to almost anything anyone else is making.

If you just want a drum machine the MS is all the best of the Digitakt without all the extras that I found I wasn’t even really using, but in a more immediate jam focuses work flow.

I got tired of ever piece of gear being so deep and not immediate so for me it’s been a blast to use the MS.

3 Likes

Well, that is stupidly simple, I stand corrected on this ! :laughing:

About sample chain I’m aware of that workaround but I’m also pretty lazy in that regard though.

With time, my taste in machines is getting more and more narrow as I know exactly what I’m looking for, which is in turn, good for my wallet. At some point I’m hoping to design my own machine so that people can complain about my own design choices, haha

2 Likes

Loved this! A perfect rebuttal to the “toy” epithet that some lazily throw at the M:S.

2 Likes

I was a big fan of the samples since the day it was announced. I’ve owned all their boxes, and I love this as much as any of them. It’s so immediate and fast to work with. What’s not to like?

I had no idea Karenn used one! Salz is one of my favorite tracks. Grapefruit Regret is a great album!

1 Like

Mind. Blown - This is a handy shortcut! Thanks for sharing (and I really should RTFM).

Another shortcut, (well, behavior, really). This one a bit more odd…
Just HOLD the track pads down to mute as a momentary mute. Instead of FUNC+Track
It stops the note off command and fakes a mute.
Timing’s gotta be good though :wink: , as you’ll see.

1 Like