How an Elektron song mode would enable us as musicians

…it is…in fact, my first real song arrangements i did in the songmode of my old mpc 2000… :wink:

Well yes but you can use pencil and paper to score a song on any instrument.

When I composed a tune on the DN I would write the pattern sequence down, albeit using MS Word as opposed to pencil and paper.

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

For me, in order for Song Mode to really work, I need a Camp Fire Mode to base it on.

I change my mind. After further review and playing last night, my Digitakt and Digitone Keys are fine just the way they are.

2 Likes

I don’t get how including some kind of song mode to the digis would make them less performance ready. Let’s say you want to make an 8 bar pattern, and the usual tricks doesn’t work in your case. It’d be so simple to say “Treat pattern 1 and 2 as a single pattern”, and voilà, you have your 8 bar pattern, without giving up resolution. This can be used in a compositional way, but also in a performative way.

I understand that a complex song mode could be difficult to implement, or could complicate the use of the device, but come on, why on earth couldn’t we save a simple pattern chain even on a new, recently released device, like the Syntakt?

5 Likes

Rinse and repeat! As many people ask for song mode, others tell them they don’t need it.

Yep! As said before, they did themselves no favors by allowing pattern chains. It was inevitable users would ask for saving at least the last chain created upon power off.

4 Likes

Well, it seems very reasonable as a feature request.

6 Likes

Yes. I’ll say it again, I’m confident they’re looking at options. But being Elektron, they know that if they give us a finger, we’ll want the hand.

So they’re likely very careful to what they introduce in regards to tools for more coherent songs, since it’ll be like opening Pandora’s Box.

A bit like the mono sampling on the Digitakt. You gave us stereo inputs. Yet, it samples in mono. And plays back mono samples only.

I totally get why. But again, rather than giving us a killer mono sampler, some would always choose to look at it as a crippled stereo sampler.

I would imagine features for song writing can have the same effect. “We got only mute groups? No CC track? No clip launching? Really, Elektron?”

Which is why I think we won’t be seeing any of this until they’re good and ready to introduce it.

2 Likes

I don’t see anyone saying that.

Keep the clamor going guys

Eventually the dull cacophony of a thousand angry Elektron users’ furious typing will reach the ears of Elektron HQ

It seemed to work a bit for external sequencing on the analog boxes.
Plus the OT got a massive update when everyone seemed to think updates were done.

Is Pattern Chaining not enough?
Why don’t you try using a DAW. It is definitely one of the strong points of linear sequencers.

1 Like

No sound locking via MIDI.

1 Like

The main why for me is because I’m not putting a computer in the mix.

song mode or chain save would be a killer feature addition once sales die down, to get more people to pick up the devices. Then they can add digitakt sample start/end feature and 2nd lfo to Rytm so Syntakt doesnt surpass Rytm too much.

1 Like

I read most of this. I’d be happy with some of these fancy ideas but also for the love of glob just let us save pattern chains. The OT arranger seems solid too.

I might not get it but Ableton doesn’t work the way CG is talking about BB. Kinda but when you launch a new scenes it restarts all the clips (or tracks in elektron language). You can start individual tracks without that happening but if you want to play 2+ new ones at the same time without restarting the others thats kind of difficult. Although actually hmm there’s a way to change that I’m pretty sure. You can remove the clip (track) stop button from each track in new pattern (called scene in ableton)

2 Likes

Ah, ok. Interesting. That part makes all the difference in the blackbox clip and song mode, so it’s interesting that it’s not default behaviour for Ableton.

FTFY.

I dunno, maybe there’s no song mode being added to these devices because there’s a DigiCon (Digital Conductor) in the works that will be a global master arranger for all the elektron boxes, allowing pattern chaining, perfectly timed program changes, global transposition of key and tempo across all connected devices?

I doubt it even more!

I mean obviously it will also be an overbridge hub, performance mixer with 7 crossfaders, fx processor and stereo master bus compressor.

1 Like