Homestudio amplification / speakers recommendation

In my small office / homestudio I got:

Elektron Analog Keys
Elektron Analog Rytm
Elektron Octatrack

I rund it throu a Mixer Behringer XR X-Air 16 to a Electro Voice ZLX-12P.
I quite like the sound. But the ZLX is bulky and the X-Air has “too many” channels.

Do you guys have an idea for a great sound for a small room?
Should I go for the Bose L1 with Tonematch so I can merge Mix/Amp/Speakers?
Or simply replace hte ZLX-12P with two Neumann KH-120?

I don’t have to transport my system and also don’t place concerts. It’s just me in a room.
I don’t mind spending $2000 but I want to spend it ONCE and then be happy to end of days :slight_smile:

You might be planning to spend more, but I really like the KRK Rockit series. Compact. Sounds pleasant. Works well in smaller rooms.

I had the “KRK Rokit 5 G3” but they sounded so much less, than the ZLX-12P. So I sold them.

All Event … dont need sub

If you are ready to spend 2k$ for speakers, you should at least consider to test speakers at the shop and later in your studio before you buy.

You might know that even high quality speakers do not sound the same in any studio environment. You should also answer the question, are those speakers more for enjoying music or more for mixing/mastering.

IMO Neumann KH-120A and similar near field systems (Genelec, Focal, Adam, Dynaudio etc.) are supposed to be transparent and are excellent for mixing.

1 Like

If you looking power over neutrality monitoring. (wich is very important to me to get a good monitoring pairs i blown away with my CMS Sub + CMS 50 from Focal)

Then Power speakers for more feeling the sound… i would say i have the EV too and it’s always need SUB so add 2 sub under each ZLX-12P : EV EKX-18SP

Or watch to LD System because it’s fine and less expansive than BOSE L1 but these is MONO as well as the MAUI so you need Two set of MAUI or BOSE L1 to get a normal stereo :

A good Monitoring combining Power, Definition and Neutrality in Monitoring is that one but it’s start to be expensive… http://www.eventelectronics.com/opal
https://www.thomann.de/fr/event_opal_b_stock.htm?ref=search_rslt_Event+Opal_285649_0

If i have money i would buy this one as Monitoring Power to be near my Focal CMS and CMS Sub

The “LD Systems Maui 28 G2” would be my favorite but in the reviews and the manual, they say that you need about 3m of space to the speaker system to hear the sound properly. My room isn’t big enough for that.

If you have a small room (please define small) forget about monitors that provide deep basses (>5") and go for serious bass trapping treatment.

Also Seriously consider acoustic treatment to avoid the first main reflections of audio signal. If you don’t you will perceive an aggressive and percusive sound (“peaky”) because the reflections kind of merge with the initial audio peeks instead of producing natural reverb to your ears, as the walls are too close.

No need to buy high spec monitors without that, you would be disappointed anyway… .

1 Like

4m by 5m - for European Standards it’s quite big, for American Standard it’s small.
The room is an office with computer, screen, book shelf, pictures. My vintage Logitech Z-2300 THX with sub sounds quite pleasant on the computer :slight_smile:

I would really like a line array but I really fear that it won’t do any good.

It s small. Room is really important If you consider mixing or “neutral” audio experience (hi-fi).
If budget is ok I would ask a professional to set up monitors in this room according to your budget.
If not possible just pick up a 500$
5" nearfield active monitor pair with a separated EQ rack so that you can fine tune it to your personal taste!

Event, Dynaudio, and Adam all make amazing monitors. Where do you live?

Switzerland. We can’t try out or return, all sales are final.

But I think I might go for Neumann KH 120A or Adam A7X and keep the Behringer Mixer and hide it somewhere.

Somehow I also like the https://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_stagepas_400i.htm as there is a mixer and enough power, on the other I don’t know if this will sound good in my small room.

Don’t spend 2k on monitors in an untreated room. Its like buying the body of a sports car and putting a lawn mower engine in it, or something. Personally I see no reason to fool around with passive speakers, unless you are a total audio nerd and just want more lights/gadgets etc.

That being said. I really love Equator Audio. I have their D5 speakers and the price is amazing for the quality. In a small room I wouldn’t go over a 5" or 6" monitor, especially untreated.

1 Like