Hiphop made with the Analog Rytm

Bro I’m Dutch as well!!! Would you recommend running the SP alongside a DT/RYTM for advanced slicing / chopping? Never considered that.

Dope! Waar kom je vandaan?

The sp is perfect alongside the DT and AR: endless slices (by ear), long samples and awesome fx. I often slice on the sp, play this with the AR in chromatic mode, and then resample this into the AR.

With the dt you can trigger all the slices from the midi channels, the AR can only trigger the first 12 or so through midi, which is enough.

1 Like

Nice! Utrecht. I’ve gotten a DT and DN and know that the DT will stay… But I’ve always wanted an MPC since I dislike slicing in Ableton or using the pc that early in the stage of making a beat.
Now Im considering selling the DN since I also have a minilogue… And I do like to work with samples a lot.
I’ll look into the sp404 instead of an MPC one!

Thanks man

The DT is my favorite do it all machine ever! It is also quite good at slicing samples using a workaround:

I often use a ‘dummy’ pattern (often the 2nd, unused pattern in my project) where I copy a single sound to all 8 tracks and use the samplestartpoint to make 8 slices and play them to find a cool sequence. You can then resample this as a single sample to use in your real pattern, so you can use the other 7 tracks for drums/synths.

The mpc is really good at sample slicing but feels more like working in a daw instead of using an instrument. The sp is very very limited, but feels really intuitive.

2 Likes

Such a straight forward solution that I haven’t thought about! Dank…

1 Like

Mushroom jazz vibes here. Wouldn’t be out of place in a Mark Farina mix!

Thanks man!

I did an entire downtempo/hip hop album a few years ago almost entirely (very minor additions here and there) with an Analog Rytm. Really works well for this style imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcpCA_fVkq4https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcpCA_fVkq4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnowicAQ2hs&t=0s

3 Likes

This is great! Very inspiring to hear. Can you tell us something about your workflow on the AR? Is it mostly samples? Do you resample internal sounds as well?

1 Like

I hear what you’re saying about the MPC. I might get one from Bax to try. The MPC one that is. Never will sell my DT.

2 Likes

Hey, thanks! This was on an mk1 so no resampling. I do use quite a bit of melodic samples but nothing other than one-shots, both to save on RAM and so that the patterns are able to be played at slightly (usually) different tempos. Within a particular sampled chord I make sure to use a chain so as to get both a major and minor chord quality to be more complete with chord arrangements. Otherwise lots of mutes, fills, performance pads. I’ll generally use a scene to switch samples, sounds, etc., to varying degrees within a single musical idea too, though i try not to be too predictable with this, or anything really. Here’s a short set with some different material where you can see the process more. Whereas I might be a little more reserved while playing w the AR for a recording as compared to a longer line set, it’s basically the same process. Loving what I’m hearing from you as well, you’re working that thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2caKYMxWiw&t=0s&ab_channel=GloPhase

*I seem to be getting “error code of 429” when trying to embed video, anyone have ideas?

2 Likes

I’m a fan! Your stuff on the AR is dope as hell. So you transfer chord sounds (maj/min) and then pitch it to create chord progressions?

Are the drums on this live set mainly samples or the analog machines?

1 Like

https://youtu.be/1bsPvE8EXLk

New one I just did… a little on the happy side for my taste, but I liked the sample.

3 Likes

Glad to hear! Yes, that’s my approach to the chord arrangements. By having both M/m I’m not trying to write diatonically necessarily, more just for options. I’m also reusing lots of samples throughout a project/set, whether it’s through scenes or just using them in another pattern so it’s good to have both for uniformity amongst chord samples. Sometimes I’ll even do a chain with four samples (minor, minor inversion, major, major inversion). Or I’ll just mess with alternate voicing so that I have more options.

Drum voices are def a bit of both. It sounds like the kicks are more often samples. Otherwise there’s generally a bit of layering. I also usually have a scene in which the drum voices are completely flipped (all melodic elements are untouched). In that instance I might switch between the kick circuit and a kick sample. I will say that over time I’ve come to appreciated the AR circuits for what they are, obvi having all of these different engines is great too. Initially I wasn’t completely sold on the sound though. All in all a pretty incredible machine none the less.

2 Likes

A New one I did today!

Tried to really get that boombap sound by pitching the sample down and chopping it using samplestart parameter locks.

11 Likes

I tried a more traditional soul sample flip on the AR. I’m getting quicker with sample chopping, the workflow is actually pretty cool if you get used to it…

9 Likes

this got me fired up, made me end up blasting some Ghostface, that One track.

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeah that track is dope… would love Ghostface to rap over something of mine haha.

1 Like

I made some boombap to celebrate the first warm days of the month here in Amsterdam!

9 Likes

Your music sounds Dope! What do you use for the basslines?

1 Like