Hiphop Beat Battle #15: Voting and Feedback

I feel you there. ive only “competed” in one battle and i felt the same way.
All i can say is there is most likely no better place to engage in a Battle atmosphere as its veeery positive around here. we like to lift eachother up in this little corner of the world.
anyhoo

7 Likes

The good: 3
The Bad: 13
The ugly:10
HM:15
At the feeling

6 Likes

The Good : 3 gun break is dope
The Bad : 13 WuCone Vibe,
The Ugly : 9 oppressed

HM : 6 excellent lofi vibes

5 Likes

Hard to choose again. I may change my mind again tomorrow, but here is my vote :

The good: 05
The Bad: 12
The ugly: 13

HM: 03, 07

5 Likes

The Good: 03. I hope this doesn’t sound glib, but I wanna watch the Toonami show this should clearly be the theme for. Killer sound design, future west vibes, and smooth transitions between a variety of flows
The Bad: 19. “The casual brushstroke of the master.” Gorgeous bass. The shifting panned hooks. The confidence to toss in great sounds at the bookends, just letting them have their moment without requiring them to hook back into the main beat. I love this.
The Ugly: 05. This knocks and clatters! Love the dnb blips of course but also how loose the main beat is, the sped-up congas (cajon?) for accents, the filter sweep moments… Nicely done!

Honorable Mentions:
07. I immediately liked this bold track. Drums so hard, dialog percussion, the mood shifts, the mournful horns… Incredible, and almost my 3rd pick
10. Every element of this is so well arranged and mixed. Special shout out to all the rhythmic layers, as well as the echo of the hook between vocals and strings.
11. Tour de force of arrangement (even getting a noose creak to work for the beat), plus the Morricone-style cinematic crescendo structure. Can’t wait to hear what you pull off next time! However, at more than a full minute over time, I don’t feel comfortable voting for it

Full List:
01: I really like the soft-gunshot-as-snare, and the way you’ve processed the whistle sounds so smooth. Lovely start to the comp! To me, the gunshot snare blunts the impact of your louder transition gunshots
02: I love the piano and that bassy riff (repitched woodwind?) Bass drums sound so good! Classic boombap
04: 808 toms with the Spanish guitar was a great choice. Love the shifting rhythm.
06: The Doom That Came to West Texas. That piano is so menacing. I wish there was some kind of switch up, maybe to further build that tension?
08: Slick East Coast productions with some of the smoothest drums here. Great vocal hook. For my own taste, despite the horn sample, I wish I’d gotten a bit more Morricone
09: Pure drama! I would love to know how that complex string/horn/wobble combo came together. I wish there was more development beyond that initial loop (and that it stayed closer to the 2:30 limit)
12: Love the whistle hook and guitar one-shot. That triplet bass has a funky modern vibe I dig
13: Max respect for the choice movie quotes, scratching, and wild freakout from 2:06-2:16.
14: I really like the weird (granular? stutter?) effects on your leads, the atonal whistle chop, and the harsh snare. It’s a sparse feeling track, and I sometimes wished there were a little more to fill the sonic space.
15: Love the bass and the shuddery filter sweeps. Drums are very understated in this one
16: The horn riffs and that rattling kick are immediately striking. I wish the track had a longer break from those horns just to keep them fresh in my ear
17: Horns have that high lonesome Morricone vibe, and the clip-clop rhythm is fun. This one also feels a bit too sparse, especially in lead-up to your horn climax
18: Those drums switch-ups are killer, and I’m jealous of the repitched guitar riff you have. I wish you had an extra hook or layer here to bounce to and from.
20: As always, love a spooky beat, love that organ and desperate wiry guitar. For an instrumental showcase, I wish there was a bit more variety, but this would be fantastic to spit over
21: One of the more experimental beats here, but that groove is still strong under the static. Sounds like channel surfing, which, as someone whose grandpa used to watch westerns on cable all I time, I appreciate.

11 Likes

The Good : 10. I really like the use of strings sample around the drums. Can be used for a Sergio Leone’s movie.
The Bad : 11. Love the use of the sampled voice and the multitude of samples used…and the final!!
The Ugly : 5. Very nice intro and great vibes. I like the whistle sample in the second half of the song!

HM: 19 It a special rearrangement of the Morricone’s songs. Great job.

All great tracks people!! Nice done.
:gun:

8 Likes

G: 13 fun adventure
B: 10 on the money
U: 8 slummed me out

HMs: 16 grinding that trumpet 17 really nice 18 raw beats 9 monstrous 7 banger 11 sweet as

5 Likes

A genuine picture of me currently working out who hasn’t voted yet and who’s got what points.

3 Likes

I’ll vote later tonight!

2 Likes

yeah but 4 winners is too heavy, i think :nerd_face:

1 Like

Hmm I only make it 3 :thinking:

Back for a recount!

good: 10 - slow-burn, very clean, best captured the theme/assignment.
bad: 3 - etherial, atmospheric. I like the constant evolution of the beat.
ugly: 7 - hard-hitting, creepy, unsettling, but all in the best ways.

up there for most difficult source material I’ve participated in thus far. led me to learn a few new features of my sampler! always feels great to submit and partake.

thanks to @Yabba and @1-2 for this challenge! shout out to everyone, especially those not in my top 3. each beat either contained something I can learn from or sparks a new creative idea moving forward.

3 Likes

Difficult choice

The good: 10
The Bad: 13
The ugly: 15

HM: 9 and 12

The playlist is really cool
Congratulations to all beatmaker

3 Likes

will try to closely listen and vote later today, but don’t wait for me.

1 Like

No rush Wednesday is the final day unless all vote before then :slightly_smiling_face:

This battle made me realise I have to step my game up again… every track made me more ashamed of the beat I submitted for this battle haha. There was no weak track here, and I love hearing all the creativity this theme brought out, both with the western references end the Westside referencing rap vocals. Again, I learned a lot from both doing this battle and listening to all of the tracks! Here’s my favs, and my notes on all tracks:

The Good:
Track 8. Mannn the drum sound on this is phenomenal. Very laidback, oldschool boombap sounding. Brought me back to early Reflection Eternal, or the french producer Dela. Def something I would like to add to a playlist to listen to on repeat.

The Bad:
Track 10. Great melody and buildup. This would be a perfect background for a storytelling track about something very emotional. Very solid track overall.

The Ugly:
Track 13. wow this sounds great, and unlike anything I’ve ever heard I think. Something like madlib on (even more) drugs in a good way… The drums are great, as are all the atmospheric things going on in the background.

HM:
Track 3. Love the sound of these drums, they’re massive and crisp sounding at the same time. Great fx and breaks in the beat.

1 Great intro, love the western vibes and gunshots. This is what I imagine when thinking of morricone hiphop.
2 Basic, Solid boombap. I like the different parts in the beat.
4 Cool percussive sound. Love it when the snare comes in. The guitar melody is dope.
5 Banging intro, very deep sound, and very cool buildup.
6 Dope! Very dark cinematic vibe. This kinda reminds me of the intro ‘the coast’ by Statik Selektah/Evidence. Not sure if its using the same sample. Very dope overall.
7 Somehow this gave me flashbacks to the game of thrones intro. The how the drums come in.
9 Very eerie, cinematic sound. Love the snare hitting this hard and the kind of unexpected drum rhythm.
11 The crows are ready to feast… very Morricone sounding, a bit of a wutang vibe going on. Do I hear some octatrack fx? I really like the buildup on this one.
12 Nice atmospheric mix with the vocals in the back. I like the bass and the drums fills going on.
14 The drums/compression make this one sound banging, which is a very unique combination with the abstract understated melody and overall sound. Very original and skillfully made.
15 Another one which I would love to hear an MC rap over. I like the bassline coming in.
16 Haha this intro made me chuckle in a good way, l envisioned Alvin and the chipmunks dressed up in cowboy gear, only for the beat to turn into a very banging, serious track. Great chops, and nice drums. The bass is massive.
17 Great bassline. I love the percussive rhythm and the way the whistling fits the beat.
18 Dope drums! The sample coming in at 50s is very nice because it feels frail and unstable throughout. This would be perfect as an interlude on any album.
19 This would work as the end soundtrack for a modern reinterpretation of a classic spaghetti western. It somehow makes me feel very happy and satisfied, like watching the end titles of Samurai Champloo.
20 Love the way you chopped the sample here. This track has a great buildup without it sounding in any way illogical or forced. Would work great for an MC to rap over.
21 By far the most abstract of the bunch. It sounds like you took a Morricone cassette tape sampled it while it was played from a broken down boombox. Love all the little things coming in.

9 Likes

I think the forum mangled your list numbering at the end. I had a similar issue and had to replace all the periods after the numbers with colons to fix it

2 Likes

Or he fall asleep after track 17…:content:

1 Like

Haha yes it did… I took out the winners so it messed up the rest… lemme fix it!

Fixed! Sorry for giving weird, confusing feedback to everyone for an hour :joy:

3 Likes