Hip Hop Beat Battle #31 I know you got Soul

IMG_0231

Something occurred to me recently…

I can’t believe we’ve done 30 battles over the last few years and we’ve never had a soul music theme.
I checked back through all the threads to make sure that was the case and it would appear to be so.
we’ve had everything from jazz to rock concepts, even children’s tv themes but no soul.

So it’s time to put that right.
In this battle we’re going to be using only soul tracks.

I’m gonna throw a few rules in there but it will be pretty open in terms of source material.

*sample any soul track (or tracks) released between the years 1965-1975
I decided on that timespan just to give it that old classic soul feel.

*drums- you can use any percussive sounds, one hits or breaks from any source but I’m sure you will find plenty of those on the soul tracks you search.

*no full acapellas
Rap snippets for chorus/scratches etc is fine.
You can also include dialogue from movies or any other source.
vocal drop-ins from a soul track are absolutely encouraged but not a strict rule.

*bass can only come from a soul track, you can take a whole bassline, chop it, filter it or even take a single note and play chromatically if you wish but no VSTi or hardware synths of any kind

*bpm restriction, I’m gonna say beat must be 85-95bpm

*please include your name in the title of your beat as this makes it easier to compile once downloaded.

Please send your beat to me by Saturday 25th May, so plenty of time.

Any questions? please ask

Cheers :slightly_smiling_face:

19 Likes

Sounds good!

1 Like

Great brief, I’m in, do we have to list sources, I don’t have a problem with that :+1:

2 Likes

Great to see you around again mate, not beforehand but would be great to know what you used afterwards

1 Like

Thanks man, glad to be back :muscle::+1:

1 Like

I may participate to this one. I’m very motivated to make some hiphop beat again.

1 Like

Would be great to see you involved :slightly_smiling_face: