Hip Hop Battle #22 - Def on the Nile - RESULTS!

We have a playlist!
I haven’t seen such a collection of bangers assembled since the closing scenes of V for Vendetta. :boom:

The voting rules:
Vote for your 3 favourite beats

1st = 3 points
2nd = 2 points
3rd = 1 point

Honourable mentions are for kudos only (but encouraged)

You are strongly encouraged to include constructive feedback for the tracks you vote for and (even better) for all tracks.

Only those who submitted a beat may award points, but you are also strongly encouraged to provide constructive feedback and general props to our brave beat makers.

Voting closes on Sunday, July 16th

HAVE AT IT!

10 Likes

Damn. Well, I guess you put quality in, you will get quality out.

I was worried I wasn’t hip hop enough, but a lot of us went really dance-y, pop funk vibes.

Niles really brought the funk out of a lot of us.

Then there’s the others. Just “I don’t care what it is” straight boom bappiness.

The business.

5 Likes

alrighty, got my picks.

1st: 03, thought this one was really bouncy and fun and i really enjoy some good stabs
2nd: 09, very classic vibe, love crowd sounds in a beat
3rd: 05, really enjoy the free floating nature of this beat, i enjoy the directions it goes

8 Likes
  1. 11

EWWWWWW!!! Stank face! I was going “Ugh!?!” the whole time. Beat is nasty.

1. 4

That organ/Wurlitzer and delay guitar is dope.

1. 3

The vocal stabs. So soulful.

HM. Number 14.

I like the sound! Breakbeat almost?

6 Likes

Just had my first listen through… you guys brought the heat! This is definitely one of the funkiest battles we did…

I’ll give everything some thorough listens before voting and commenting.

6 Likes

Great selection of beats as usual :slightly_smiling_face:
Never a dull moment in these battles

6 Likes

Wasn’t able to join in on the fun of beatmaking this time, but listening to what you all made is a nice comfort. Some incredibly creative work in that playlist!:clap:

7 Likes

Enjoying these awesome flavors with a view this morning :beers:

Dope work @everyone going to have a few more plays before picking a top 3 :older_man: this playlist is just getting better and better!

12 Likes

Not easy to choose… :face_with_monocle:

#1 - 7
So smooth track in here, love the bass line combine to the keys (and the scratch part)… groovy!

#2 - 3
Good beat, nice structure, love the use of the voices. Also, really like the bridge with the strings (and more!). Powerful track.

#3 - 9
Nice atmosphere, fell like the track is playing live. Headbanger, so classic vibe!

———

HM - 5
Really like the trip hop side in the first part, switch to the groovy rhythm in the second part. DJ Set style!

HM - 8
Love the part who start at 1’05, the filter on the guitar and the voice, so intense!

(excuse my english, it’s not my mother tongue :upside_down_face:)

5 Likes

Just noticed voting deadline is this coming Sunday, I’ll vote tomorrow once I’ve had a few Saturday afternoon beers and one final listen through :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve already got a few favourites so not an easy one

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve kept it very tight as I’ll be away on holiday a few days later and I want to get the results up and the next host selected.

It can slip if it has to, but hopefully we can keep it tight.

2 Likes

Nah I think you’ve done the right thing buddy.
I’m sure everyone has checked this page that took part by now

1 Like

Found the time to have a good listen through the playlist.

1 - Nice head nodding beat, I like when the “I believe in you” comes in. A little busy sounding in places.
2 - I love how funky and 80’s this is. I like the “oh yeahs”, love the envelope filtered guitar. The transition to the second part doesn’t really work for me
3 - Like the pitch shifted K Pop samples
4 - Solid beat. Really like the guitar bits. Not much progression. The bassline works really well -
5 - Like the digital artifacts on the intro. It’s got a cool kind of drunk, wonky vibe. The bass sounds great, great second half changeup
6 - Nice laid back vibe on this one, I can imagine someone rhyming over it in a summer based track, the “leave me alone” comes in as a nice surprise, good sense of progression. - HM
7 - Like the scratches and the big chunky bass,
8 - Free flowing beat and nice bassline, not so much progression
9 - Love the intro, dense vibes,
10 - Love the sunny, dubby, almost skanking vibe, very funky with good rhythm variations - HM
11 - Great shock intro with the “ow”, it’s dynamic and it’s got lots of drama. Def
12 - Love the scratches and the general wonkiyness, the synth towards the end doesn’t sit as well for me
13 - Love the summery cut up vibe. Sounds a little like Avalanches
14 - Tight with the strings and beat, love the rhythm change very slickly done

Top 3
1st - #7
2nd - #11
3rd - #5

HM 6, 10

5 Likes

Just today and tomorrow to get votes in:
Still to vote:
@surfacescan
@Unifono
@Yabba
@sleepside
@aarb420
@1-2
@Sleepyhead
@twobears
@malus_mons
@Maisin

7 Likes

I’ve done my first listen already, but I gotta go back and take notes

1 Like

Great stuff again from everyone.
Not easy as usual but I went for…

1st #5
Love the mood the first half sets, I would have been happy just hearing that play without the switch up, really great.

2nd #8
Nice all round beat, happy summer vibes, chopped really well.

3rd #1
Love the singing parts that drop in, addictive and still playing through my head even though I listened to it an hour ago.

Honourable mention to my hangover
And also everyone that took part.

Salute all 🫡

9 Likes

1: #1 - its got nice mixtape vibe, and the vocal sample make me feel good knowing someone belives in me

2: #6 - Solid summertime track

3: #12 - I like this one maybe the most but the (I assume, forgive me if I’m wrong) SP404 effects kinda got in the way of the track. If there was half as much those it would be my #1.

10 Likes

Been great listening to these all week, nice work everyone :clap:
Big thanks to @monquixote for a cool theme and organizing
My top three:
#1 - 9 horns, scratching and moonlighting vocals. Dope beat
#2 - 8 guitar chops, vocal snippets and baseline really worked for me
#3 - 13 I liked the small/micro chops from moonlighting, had the vibe of the track and sat nicely over the simple drum beat

9 Likes
  1. 9
  2. 1
  3. 4

HM:

Great playlist all over again! Thanks for such a great listen. My winners and HMs were all really close for me this time

Thanks @monquixote for hosting this

8 Likes

Awesome well done for getting some votes in!

A bit like submissions I’m OFFICIALLY leaving it until midnight today to vote, but I’ll compile the results on Monday evening when I’m done with work so anyone who gets in before I compile it still counts.

As we’ve had a decent number of votes in now I’ll just call it when the time comes and if anyone hasn’t voted that’s just too bad as I’m sure everyone wants to start cracking on with the next challenge.

6 Likes