High profile OT users?

Nicola Cruz with MK1

Karen Gwyer - Against The Clock

4 Likes

Ian Williams of Battles:

3 Likes

Anyone knows the reference of the solenoid midi controller (or relay) Barker uses?

dada machines makes a set and also Polyendā€¦ those ar the only two commercial ones iā€™m aware of. the polyend one is apparently more accurate or has more features or something and the dada machines is more affordable but not as much control i think. thatā€™s the run down i was given last i asked about them.

http://polyend.com/perc-drumming-machine/

4 Likes

Always wanted a six-piece unit that fits on a guitar neck like a capo and does hammer-ons when trigged.

Be great if it could be slid up and down too. Iā€™m not going DIY, but if someone released exactly that (pref with MIDI in) id be interested

1 Like

youā€™ve seen the squarepusher robot stuff right? music for robots?

2 Likes

Axel Willner of The Field (Kompakt Records) uses the OT a ton. he even lists it (among other Elektron devices) in the liner notes of his latest LP. my understanding is he went from trackers to Ableton to OT for his writing/loop-mangling purposes.

3 Likes

Anyone know how theyā€™re getting those sounds? Iā€™m thinking creative routing and pedals. If thatā€™s the case, iā€™m going to have to get myself an Octatrack. :panda:

1 Like

Another option is the Highly Liquid MIDIWidget. You can use it to convert MIDI to 24 5v logic outputs, and that might be enough to drive a bunch of 5v solenoids right there, although I donā€™t know how much current it provides so you very well might need to add some kind of active buffering to the logic signals to actually drive the solenoids effectively. Still, even if you paid someone to build the driver circuits it would be a lot cheaper than buying two Dada Machines Automats, and thatā€™s the cheapest off the shelf alternative that would give you a comparable feature set.

Iā€™d probably just get a bunch of 5v relays and use the logic outputs to trigger the relays, and the relays to gate the power that actually actuated the solenoids. Probably not the most elegant or cheapest approach but it would have a pretty low part count, probably just one solenoid, one barrel jack and maybe some jumper wire per channel.

1 Like

Thinking about Cherushii today, who died in the Ghost Ship fire in Oakland a few years ago. Apparently she was an Octatrack user:

ā€œLike most Elektron gear, learning to play it is an ongoing journey that you definitely wonā€™t complete in the first few months. But its ability to sequence both audio and MIDI makes it a great machine for live sets, and you canā€™t beat its compact size for travel.ā€

9 Likes

Pete Townsend with Octatrack MKII and Digitone (last pic).

9 Likes

Jamie Jones. High profile to me))

1 Like

I was gonna say Alan Braxe, but in searching for a pic I found a more recent pic where it seems like heā€™s moved on to the MPC X.

hereā€™s a pic of his studio with the OT:

5 Likes

HOLY F_CK

9 Likes

Just spoted an Octa in Klimnetā€™s studio.

3 Likes

Whatā€™s that big machine on the left?

I think itā€™s an Oberheim Xpander: http://www.vintagesynth.com/oberheim/xpander.php

Looks absolutely massive

3 Likes
2 Likes