Hermod+ & Hermod, Eurorack sequencers from Squarp Instruments

I’ll answer here for now, so when its transferred we have the right ‘flow’ of posts.

same as original hermod, so any videos showing will be applicable.

theres a bit of confusion in terminology of ‘sequences’ and ‘patterns’ , as they are basically the same thing.
so you can program 16 sequences (aka patterns), and then the song is a flow of these sequences.

so, this is NOT the same as hapax.

see above…

yes, as you can have cv input (a-d) as input on any track.
the only ‘drawback’ here, is you’d have to use a v/oct & gate pair (I believe), as Im not sure it’d trig off a mod input.

Ive never really experienced this issue… so cannot really comment on this.
probably since I always use external sync if Im trying to match tempos etc.

you cannot guarantee MCU speeds, one reason, why sync is necessary… (or RTCs etc)
given its a new MCU, it’s very likely to be ‘different’ but that does not mean better or worst :wink:

note:
also as mentioned before… in other topics, I dont tend to program sequences in more than one location…
so if Im using a DAW, typically, Id program the (notes) sequence for the eurorack there, and then typically the H+ is used as a midi <-> cv interface. so really the clock is not that important.
similarly in a hardware setup (e.g. hapax/octatrack) , Id tend to do the programming there.

really, I tend to only program sequences on the H+ when its just eurorack, and Im not using another sequencer… and if Im using the OT, then Im using really only for audio recording/fx etc.

I get others have different use-cases, but for me external sync has been fine for my purposes.

note: with respect to song modes etc… you can see from above, thats its unusual for me to use H+ for this (in practice, other than testing ;))… as Id tend to defer this ‘song’ mode to Live or Hapax, as thats where the patterns often live.

Thanks for the answer!

I’m confused indeed… On their website:

Patterns : 16 per track

So I thought that you could have different patterns per track.

And:

Song chain length : 64 sequences

But perhaps, I’ve been using the Hermod wrong haha.
I always thought that for Hermod sequence = pattern.

In the manual they indeed write something a bit different:

In Hermod+, a sequence represents a collection of 16 patterns (P1 to P16). These patterns are variations of the same track.
For example, SEQ1 holds all the P1 of the 16 tracks.

and on the site:

Build your song structures using up to 16 sequences per project.

so, well, anyway, it’s not different from Hermod this time then?

Then here again, this is on their website:

Double project architecture : yes

I know you can’t play 2 projects at the same time but it seems you can load a 2nd project while playing the first one and the 2nd project will start automatically:

After loading a project, the project you were working on will continue to play, without interrupting your performance. A popup will appear, asking you to swap the project in sync (at the end of the bar). You can choose to update the BPM of Hermod+ with the loaded project (press Y ) or to keep the previous BPM (press X ).

I see. Using an external clock was fine but I’ve been used to the Elektron boxes being so tight with my DAW. Will see by myself when I get my hands on the Hermod+ :grinning:

exactly… this is how it is… and as I said, same as original Hermod.

which is why using the two different words for the same thing is a bit daft :wink:

basically
a sequence (/pattern) is the collection of notes/moduation for all tracks.
a song then chains these sequences.

yeah this was not something I heard about prior to release…

I think the idea here is, its the changing of projects can be done much better due to the new MCU being able to have two projects simultaneously…
i.e. the original hermod (and pyramid) both tried to do this ‘on the fly’ project change, but it had alot of limitations, due to memory constraints (etc)
so I think this an ‘under the hood’ improvement on the Hermod+.

as far as Ive seen though, the Hermod+ does not give the user access to both projects (unlike the Hapax), so you cannot do transitions you can with Hapax.

of course, thats not to say, they could not add this later… as obviously the fact they have both loaded at once means it technically feasible. (though no dedicated button, like the Hapax)

note: I should say I need to update my H+ firmware, with release version, just in case of some last minute additions … that Im unaware of !
( I was busy just before, and right after Superbooth, so fell a bit behind)

1 Like

ok, well, that’s indeed confusing. The QuickStart architecture image with the “Patterns: 16 per track” sentence really made me believe you could use different patterns per track (a la Hapax?).

all is good anyway, I find the Hermod way being closer to the Elektron way helps my limited brain.

Yeah, that’s why I wondered what it meant in use so would love to hear a bit more about it if you can try with the released firmware!

1 Like

So I had to contact squarp to get the 1.0 firmware, and took opportunity to double check my understanding re dual projects etc

And can confirm, what I said was correct.
It’s done ‘behind the scenes’ to get a smoother transition, and have a synchronized change.
but you don’t have same control as on hapax, due to smaller form factor.

And yeah, sequence = pattern, as before.
They are aware of some confusion, partly due to how some other sequencers label things, terminology is not consistent in this space … so hard to be clear for everyone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for checking with them, that was fast!

1 Like

Since quite a while now I am using a 104hp setup and as the “modular brain” hermod.

I am super excited about and I am really looking forward to hermod+.
Bigger screen and direct selectable tracks … same hp already sold me.

I’ve been using an MC 707 to sequence my 2 eurorack voices…I thought about getting a modular sequencer but just never thought they were powerful enough as I use my modular like my regular synths…not all bleeps and bloops. I’ve tried a lot of them and just dont like them too much.

This might be cool though and If I can send midi to my MC 707 I can use the little guy to sequence some of those MC sounds…hmmmm.

I don’t understand the lack of time divisions per track. We screamed and screamed until we got this on Digitakt as it was sorely missing. Now here we are again, and surely the problem is magnified as its more midi focussed and will be driving outboard gear running pads and chord progressions.

I also don’t understand Squarps insistence on calling a “group of patterns”, which run in parallel a “sequence”, the very word itself describes a sequenatial timeline. Silly conigits.

Is the OG hermod compatible with the hermod+Os? Cant find a link to the old firmware.

1 Like

This does look very tempting. Could potentially free up a lot of desk space.

How do people feel about using it for envelopes. Do they “feel” good?

64 steps(4bars) vs 256 steps(16 bars) so I guess we’re missing the 32 bars from the 1/8 speed setting but we have a very precise sequencing level for 256 steps, that’s quite nice imho. I never used the 1/8 speed setting though so I’m not the target I guess.

I highly doubt it, it’s using a new MCU, and the surrounding hardware is different.
(you’d have to ping Squarp for definitive answer)

thats not to say, at some level they have not created an abstraction that allows them to have some level of compatible in source code… but I suspect that unlikely.
… my bets would be, as OG Hermod is EOL, and will be managed separately, so get bug fixes etc.

different approach, the Hermod is quite a linear sequencer in many ways… more daw like (e.g. piano roll). on the Hermod you do different ‘rates’ on tracks by ‘zooming in’ e.g. program 1/32 notes rather than 1/16. sure, this doesn’t allow you to change the rate later… apart from that its similar.

this has been the case with ALL squarp sequencers (pyramid -> hapax) , so unsurprising.

they have messed with this a bit… over time.
Hapax recently got the ability to play tracks in reverse, so perhaps this might come to Hermod, and they might be getting a little less linear.

also the Hermod has an interesting step mode which allows you to advance playhead with a trig, but its for all tracks (due to only having 4 cv in?) … its a fun mode, though feels like it could do with a bit of love to improve it.

I do wish that Hermod had a mode where external trigs could completely drive an individual track… like an analog sequencer, but its not really that kind of sequencer.

will it change?
I don’t know, it’s been a common request, so perhaps its on a ‘future feature list’ somewhere… but Id not ‘expect it’.

also lets remember, Hermod+ was primarily created because component issues meant the OG Hermod could no longer be produced… so its focus was a hardware upgrade, and addressing users wishes around the hardware.

as Ive mentioned above, whilst the firmware has been extensively re-worked, its functionally (and focus) is the same as OG Hermod… though its been done in a way to be allow more changes later … but we have not been told what these may or may not be :wink:

(but as always, only buy for what it does now, not what you hope it might do in the future !)

do you mean with external trigs, or for programmed sequences?
for external trigs its a bit limited, since you’d only have 2 inputs (you’d need to use cv/gate mode for a/b , c/d)
but for programming sequences, it’d be quite good… e.g. to do a sidechain like effect.
if you go to the squarp forum, you’ll see peoples experiences using them on the hapax.

( think for me, its a bit like the LFOs, Id use them on ‘spare tracks’…
this is where Hermod is quite good on small setups… it’d not be the first place Id go for envelopes (Id use stages), but if I need more, or your system is very compact they could be useful.
its also quite interesting that these envelopes can be used over both midi and cv (via mod output).

as I say generally, the Hermod FX are quite fun/creative depending on your use-case.

2 Likes

Had my Hermod + for a week now. It’s got issues. I will have to try and update if there are updates.

The midi FX will stop working all together at times until I restart. The volume from my modules randomly goes down like 40 percent. A restart fixes it.

All sorts of issues. Again I need to check if it has the latest 1.0 update.

I like it quite a bit but need only a few small issues, not ones where I have to restart many times each session.

Yep, never had an og hermod and I’m enjoying this one quite a bit, but the fx seem pretty buggy at the moment. I’ve noticed that switching sequences resets the scale effect sub category to default, and have had other ones randomly stop working. I submitted a bug report.

I’m hoping they’re quick on bug fixes at least, I can do without new features for a while, but I’d like what’s there to function as expected.

I see, thank you for the in depth answer :blush: seems like I won’t be interested after all then. I was thinking it could be sort of a Swiss Army knife kind of thing so I could use it for whatever I need in the patch.

Sure, as I said you can.
Though you have to think about by comparing to
other options eg for envelopes you can use dedicated modules ( which are inexpensive) or mutli function modules ( like disting) … there’s a lot of choice.

Hermod’s main focus is sequencing and midi<->cv , so really to get most value ( / or justify hp) , you’d have to need that, at least in part :wink:
( otherwise disting/OC would likely serve better?!)

Thanks😊 sure I am aware of dedicated modules. It was more about the potential of switching out dedicated modules to get additional functionality in the system (2x104hp). Personally I can’t stand disting and ornament and crime but there was something about the H+ screen that made me think maybe it would be a good fit. Will probably just stick with what I have already though😊

1 Like

Anybody get one yet? The more I’ve thought about it the more appealing it seems. I was thinking of just getting a MIDI to CV module but having the functionality to be able to sequence both midi and cv functions from one spot seems appealing, mainly for my gear that does both.

It would go in my side skiff which exists mainly to extend the features of my Matriarch, but I have a Grandmother, Taiga, Hydrasynth, and A4 over there as well. So it’d be nice to be able to sequence the matriarch’s midi functions as well as the CV in one module, but also sequence the Hydra, Taiga, and Grandmother as well.

But anyways, I guess the main thing I have a question of is how well does it work as a MIDI-CV module. Does it work well with ableton to use ableton as a sequencer if I want to do that instead?