Help Wrap My Head Around RYTM+Overbridge

I’ve been pouring over the forums and read the Overbridge manual, but I’m having trouble understanding the point of Overbridge. I’m on a Mac using Ableton. All software is up to date. Disclosure: I am fairly new to working with anything involving midi connections. So there could be a lack of knowledge on the subject prohibiting me from wrapping my mind around this way of working.

I like working inside the RYTM box, but run into some issues with the sequencer. I’m recording my beats live on the pads without quantizing (for a more human feel). I go back after performing a beat and tweak via Micro Timing to reign in any too-far-off mistakes interrupting the groove. However, I run into issues when I record a second, contrasting beat in terms of Beat A flowing into Beat B seamlessly. And Micro timing two different beats to flow together is just irritating/workflow-stealing. Perhaps it’s just a matter of me working within the RYTM sequencer until it becomes second nature. But if I can increase my workflow by supplementing the box with my DAW, I would like to.

I set up Overbridge in hopes of being able to use Ableton to control the RYTM sequencer, or even just fly my patterns into an Ableton midi track and edit from there. After reading up, it seems this is not possible with Elektron machines. I decided to see what I could get out of Overbridge anyway. So I get a pattern looping on my RYTM and record it into an Ableton midi track and nothing shows up in the recorded clip. No midi notes or anything. And when I turn off my rytm that clip is blank and without audio. There must be a lack of understanding on my part. I guess you just use Overbridge to control the RYTM from the DAW with more expansive visuals? Then when when you want to record the beat you have on the RYTM to the DAW you just record your RYTM audio signal into an audio track? IF that’s all it does, it just seems like it would be better not to mess with the extra technology; instead, just work inside the RYTM until you’re ready to commit audio to an Ableton track.

Is there something I’m missing? Any thoughts on how best to use RYTM in conjunction with Ableton?

Yes, the Rytm does not send midi from the sequencer and OB is used as a visual editor and a way to record multitrack with only one usb cable. It is also used to be able to modulate rytm parameters from a daw. I don’t use OB and not sure if midi can go the other way from DAW to Rytm, or if there’s other uses I didn’t mention…
There is a per track quantization control in Rytm somewhere that works as a percentage, you can maybe use that to semi adjust your beats towards quantized without fully quantizing them…
For many the main use of OB is multitrack recording without an audio interface or audio cables…

1 Like

I see. Seems strange that Elektron didn’t figure out a way to be able to at least edit the sequencer from Overbridge. Maybe it’s a hardware limitation.

In terms of working in the box, the per track quantization control could be a help. I’ll look into that. Thanks

1 Like

Well, if you want to work primarily in your daw, it’ll sequence the Rytm just fine. You can also hit the pads to record a beat in the daw. Just no midi from the playing sequencer.

1 Like

Yeah I’m gonna give that a try and see if it may solve some of my personal sequencing issues