Help with OT recording samples quietly

Hey yall - long time since I been on Elektronauts, but bumping this topic because I really believe I found a quick answer to this problem after it happened to me recently.

Make sure you reset the Recording buffer.

In the Audio Editor, on the ATTR page, make sure that Gain is set to +12.0 dB. This will make your recorded samples playback at unity to what they sounded like while monitoring in via DIR. This was driving me mad because I couldn’t figure it out. Turns out I was doing loading in samples from the CF Card onto the Recording buffers and messing up the association, but that automatically switches that Gain setting to 0 dB. Probably as a safety measure so you don’t ever accidentally blast a normalized sample +12 dB out the mains. Long story short: don’t muck about too much with loading card samples into the Recording buffers unless you’re ready for insanity.

I swear, the Octatrack has more hidden lore than Dark Souls…

7 Likes

Hi @lopodyr,
hi all,

I just ran into that problem too… .
I called another OT user I know and he confirmed the issue.

Issue: Loudness of recordings from Input CD is very low.

Searching on Google didn’t help and the manual assumes that Input AB and CD are equivalent regarding recording.

So I assume it is a bug.

Maybe sb with an old firmware (below 1.40b) could evaluate this issue.

1 Like

Welcome.

Could you record AB and CD with the same source (can be OT Cue outputs, simpler imho) so we can hear the difference ?

Are you sure it isn’t a gain or playback level problem ?

Hi @sezare56,

thanks for the reply. I assume you’re refering to my post.

Unfortunately, I can’t provide you with audio samples today. I’ll catch up on that tomorrow.

I did to the full extent record from the same source to A, B, A B, C, D, C D.
Judging by monitoring the direct input (DIR) and the Input Level LED, the input signal between A, B and C, D was comparable. (I recorded a loop from my DAW)

By recording on C D the recorded signal was in the range of the noise floor.
I assume that because the normalized signal is heavily distorted. And the original recording is too quiet. (In the audio editor you have to stretch the y-axis of the recorded signal similar as lopodyr showed in the post from Dec '21, picture 6)

My first thoughts were:
-A B is for recording line-level
-C D is for recording pre-amplified levels
but I didn’t found hints on the manual.

What I did so far:
-record to ABCD with the same signal -> C, D & C D are quieter then A B & A B
-Created a new project -> same issue
-Recorded louder (hotter) to C D -> same issue
-switched between 16 and 24 bit -> same issue
-I (OT mk1) called a friend (OT mk2) and let him do the same -> same issue
-I tried various recording buffers -> same issue
-checked my firmware: 1.40B

I am just a bit puzzled because there aren’t that many post on the internet that address this issue.

Yes. Recordings would be interesting. You can also compare DIR AB and DIR CD in the Mixer : set a scene with DIR AB (XDIR) and another one with DIR CD. Switch scenes to compare : different levels ?
(You can use a dual mono signal plugged on A and C, then on B and D.

Are leds reacting differently with a dual mono signal ?

WHAT! I didnt know you could do that… thats awesome! Thank you!
(I have no such problem as posted above, just reading along…)

1 Like

Are you sure that you’re recording from CD (as opposed from AB)?

I had a similar issue, until I realized that to sample from inputs CD one has to press REC2 (CD) button. And I was pressing REC1, which resulted in an inaudible recording, but there was a visible waveform in AED when fully zoomed-in (similar to the pics that you posted). I guess there’s a small crosstalk between the inputs

3 Likes

Good call. You can hear CD with AB inputs (not sure of English expression, bleeding ?), hence record it at a very low level.

@offcourse, how do you record CD ? If you press REC AB, you’ll record AB, whatever your REC SETUP is…

1 Like

That is the solutionI recorded the crosstalk!
When I tried start the recording with the right record button (under C—D //OT mk1) the OT didn’t pick up the trigger… just an mechanical failure of my fingers or the OT (10 years old…)
I never recognized it because I usually set a recording trigger on tracks to record AB &/or CD and that worked fine.

I can’t believe that I was so blind … thanks for your all of your help @sezare56, @provoda !!!

I feel so embarressed only the black knight can understand it :no_mouth:

3 Likes