Help with mixer and some direction?

Recently just got a minibrute 2. I’m currently playing out of a pair of 5 inch JBL 305s using a splitter out of the headphone jack. It works fine for now. However I wanna do it the “right” way sooner than later. So I guess a mixer or something similar is in order. my ultimate goal (within reach when I financially can) would be to add a drum machines
and another synth. Maybe a mic eventually. I’m dawless and am steering from computers for the moment.

Is this a decent option for me

Or is something like a https://www.sweetwater.com/c264--Analog_Mixer?highlight=Mix12FX&mrkgadid=&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=1&mrkgcat=drums&percussion&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=&lid=58700008506359857&dsproductgroupid=&product_id=Mix12FX&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=m&network=x&matchtype=&adpos=largenumber&locationid=9031117&creative=&targetid=&campaignid=20438014553&awsearchcpc=&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1oL_mLGVhQMV8xGtBh2gSQHEEAQYASABEgJA4_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I like the idea of being able to record to tape. If I’m not recording yet though is that even helpful… to just hear and isolate and/or synch each instrument and sound…?

Ideas?

My only idea is to not steer clear of the computer. Steer that cargo ship straight towards the DAW and never, ever look back.

4 Likes

My tuppence worth…

If you’re dawless then f*ck multitracking. Get a mixer that can record a stereo mixdown or a mixer and separate recorder etc.

Then have fun and forget about recording anything for a while.

Enjoy the music, be in the moment!

3 Likes

Uhh I just want something so I can play more than just one instrument at a time. And to properly play my synth out of the audio. I’m not looking into adding a computer to it since there is absolutely no need right now.

1 Like

Like something like a tascam 12… do things like zoom r- whatever have mixing capabilities for just mixing without recording

Almost all multitrack recorders will let you monitor your mix without recording. Unless you are specifically looking for a tape recorder, I’d discourage you from using a tape multitrack as your regular recorder (or mixer for that matter). The media is very expensive, the recorders themselves have become very expensive, they’re tricky to fix and it’s expensive when they break.

I think any affordable mixer into a basic handheld zoom recorder, or a dedicated zoom multitracker, or something similar to that will be perfect for you. I have an old yamaha aw16g that I would still be using for most purposes if it had a usb or memory card, being that it only burns to cd I don’t use it as much as I used to but the effects on it are still top notch and if you can get a multitracker with effects banks I’d encourage you to consider that it’s a welcome added functionality.

Think about your available desk space and look for things with a footprint you can live with. That 8 track tascam, for example, is pretty large.

1 Like

I have a Zoom L-8. Super simple to use and doesn’t take up a lot of space. Only downside is the absence of aux sends. Though there is a workaround using the extra headphones, but I’ve never tried.

1 Like