Help with Midi Loopback on Digitakt!

> Blockquote
I’m determined to figure out how to do the things described in this video- specifically the section on “Double Midi Loopback” the time stamp for that is 6:00 in, the section titled FX Scenes, Loopback Redux…

I have my midi channels routed and set up with the correct CC’s for each of the 3 channels used in this technique but when I make the trigless trig for the resonator effect (in the FX master loopback channel) following the instructions at the end of that section and hold my finger on it while pressing yes the only thing that happens is it triggers a note for all the track sounds…

When he does the same thing in the video it triggers the resonator effect or whatever combination of CC’s and lfo are assigned to that trig.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong? I haven’t really used trigless trigs at all before/ this is my first foray into the midi loopback thing but now that I know what’s possible I have to figure this stuff out and incorporate it in my music!!!

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated 🫡

@Humanprogram should give the best answers !

1 Like

I looked back and found 2 solutions. In the video, I had velocity turned all the way down for the midi track set to trigger audio, which triggered a very brief blip of silence. The better way is to turn off Note Receive in the MIDI > Port Config menu, that fixes it altogether.

I hadn’t used this template again since making the video because changing scenes requires looking up all the CC values all over again, while FX scenes and sound macros are both fuller-featured and much more straightforward on the Syntakt, which I usually use alongside Digitakt.

3 Likes

Ok thanks for that insight- I’ll try it out and report back asap 🫡

Hey so I’m running into a couple issues…

1. I have the trig probability on the FX channel master control midi channel C turned to 0 so I can trigger fx but they will still trigger anyways? Unless I turn them individually to 1% and then they still will obviously trigger by themselves every now and again.

2. There seems to be an fx reset happening when the pattern turns around that is specifically ruining the 1 bar looper effect

Everything else seems to be working though with some finessing around the pattern I’m using it on though (haven’t tried the chorus effect yet so idk about that one)

If you turn down the probability on the track itself instead of the individual trigs (on the Trig page without pressing any other buttons), the probability setting goes to 0%. For individual trigs it only goes down to 1%, so best to set the track instead. Another approach is to mute the track using global or pattern mutes.

If this is happening across a pattern change, try using Settings > Global FX/Mix > Delay. That keeps the delay settings across pattern changes. Otherwise, you probably just have a trigger activated (try muting the track with global or pattern mutes).

On Digitakt I’ve started using Control-all for a simpler approach for 1-bar and 1/2-bar loops. Set the delay to desired length, feedback 100, then from Amp page of one of the tracks, hold TRK, turn Delay send to max/127, wait the delay amount (4 beats, 2 beats), and then, still holding TRK turn VOL to 0.

And, for chorus, I realized it’s so much easier to double a sound across 2 tracks, pan and detune with an LFO, plus changing the filter envelope or other settings between the 2 sounds can create interesting stereo movement.

1 Like