Help with first modular skiff

For now only one voice indeed,
Could be sequenced by DT, DFAM, Steppy…
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

1 Like

Still an image, not the rack page. Copy the URL: Techno Rack BASE - Eurorack Modular System from vasidudu on ModularGrid

I don’t have personal experience with 1U modules and I don’t think they’re a good use of space, but keeping with the case constraint for now… I would lose the MIDI 1U and use a CV.OCD outside the case, which will get you lots of flexibility. You might use the space up top for mixing of some sort. Or you could put in Quadratt and lose Lapsus Os. That gets you back a valuable 10hp in the 3U row. Problem is that you’re 2hp short in the 1U row. I don’t know what you actually need to use the jacks at the very top right. Anyway, in that 10hp you could put Veils 2020, which gets you enough VCAs and playable mixing. Also enough oomph to boost line level to Eurorack if you want.

You have buffered mults in the case itself, at top middle.

Am I that bad? That’s not looking good for modular, innit? :slight_smile:

I don’t have experience with Manis, but the envelope looks rudimentary, so that’s one Quadrax channel. You’ll probably want another for the filter, or to use another channel as an LFO for it. That leaves half of Quadrax free for other modulation. I would normally suggest counting up modulation inputs and getting a rough sense of what you might need to drive them. uO_c makes that a bit tricky as it depends on what firmware and what modes you wish to use. I think this is probably a reasonable start, in that there are no major gaps, and it will let you discover if you wish to tweak it.

1 Like

You’re probably in the 99th percentile in terms of advance knowledge. Maybe not specifically in modular but your other experience is going to help immensely.

1 Like

Would I need this now as I am only going for one voice?

I have been lucky getting some really good advice here.
Seems modular animates a lot of feedback.
Much appreciated.

this is the problem. there are no wrong answers. only 436543 mostly correct answers.
welcome to modular.

2 Likes

Latest update so far

Sorry idk NE or 1U modules very well, but do you have two sequencers and you plan to use an Elektron box with it? I think that might be sequencer overkill for 62hp…

You’re definitely in need of VCAs and I always recommend something utilitywise.

Edit: ah I see the 1U VCA. I guess that’s ok but won’t leave you much in the way of modulating modulation.

1 Like

You should check out VCV rack or something similar, and plot out any signal flows for free before spending a lot on physical modules. It might not have the exact modules you want, but it will let you sketch out the basics before dropping a load of cash on stuff that might work.

1 Like

Thanks for your input.
I would mainly use Digitakt for drums and sequencing.

I would have only 1 voice Manis Iteritas.
Using more VCAs would I be able to “route” DFAM through the modular?

What would I be looking at?

I am in the process :slight_smile:

I can recommend Pam’s with midi din sync adapter for syncing with Digitakt and providing lfos, gates and resets to sequencers and other clocked modules. It’s hard to beat for clocked modulation. It can do the clep diaz thing using a couple lfos through a s+h, maybe even internally via logic. It’s the only screen-based module I could tolerate.

Quantizers are great imo, but I like melodic stuff. Scales is a lot of fun… I like sending a S+H into it to transpose my main sequence, but it can also be set as a two channel quantizer. Very flexible and immediate.

1 Like

You keep saying this. First of all, VCAs are not just for audio. They let you modulate your modulation. But even with voices: your filter has four outputs, and you might want to mix/fade between them. You’ve added Versio, that has two outputs. Each channel of Quadrax can act as an oscillator if you’re not using it as an envelope or LFO.

1 Like

If you are using mainly the DT to sequence, why the Mimwhatever and Steppy? HP is always precious, more so in 62hp (I’m in the “get-a-bigger-case-than-what-you-think-you-need” camp) I also think a CV.OCD is a good idea for a small case.

The DFAM is already at modular level so you can route it any way you want. VCAs are not only good for mixing audio but modulating modulation: attenuation and triggering modulation signals. That’s where modular gets super fun.

Since you have 1U space, I would seriously consider quadratt.

1 Like

Hence Veils 2020 :slight_smile: as you mentioned earlier in your post?

Or some VCA solution. Happy Nerding 3x VCA is only 6hp but I think it is unavailable. Smaller solutions are much less ergonomic.

You are going to need attenuverters. Happy Nerding 3x MIA is available, but I think Quadratt is a better idea.

The Versios are intriguing, but you don’t have space, and you have several very good out-of-rack effect pedals. Put this in the list for when you get a bigger case.

Pam’s is incredibly useful, not just for the Euclidean stuff (though I use that a lot) but for various gate sequences, random notes, and various LFOs. The $10 cable that syncs with Elektron boxes that can put out 24ppq works quite well.

1 Like

I see you have removed Steppy. I don’t think the Doepfer A-131 is a good idea. I would suggest replacing that and the Versio with Pam’s and Veils 2020. Then you can take out the 1U VCA. I finally took a look at the Palette case specs, and I think the fact that you have the MIDI and 1/4" jacks at the top is pushing you towards certain 1U choices, namely the MIDI and Line Out modules. If you allow the possibility of not using those (or look into what hacks are available), then you can use the CV.OCD externally for much more flexible MIDI-CV, and you can put in the Headphones 1U instead (plus a Hosa YPP-117 adapter to get you back the dual 1/4" TS jacks). That leaves you (unless I have messed up my math) 24hp in the 1U row. You can put something interesting in there like the Noise Tools, or leave it for future expansion. (All of this is just reinforcing my option of 1U tiles!)

1 Like

Or I would use the doepfer a-135-2 instead of the A-131.

1 Like