Help - Recording the 6 MIDI tracks in Ableton Live

Hello,

I’m faced with a problem when trying to record the MIDI output of the 6 internal MIDI tracks (sequencer or trig buttons) of the MnM into Live MIDI tracks.

Strangely enough, everything works all right for tracks 1 - 4 but tracks 5 - 6 only output MIDI data on the base channel instead of channels 5 - 6 :thinking:

CONTROL OUT1 : everything Int+Out

MIDI CHANNELS:
Base Channel: 01
Channel Span: 06
Multi Trig Ch: 07
Multi Map Ch: 08
Auto Track Ch: 09

My MIDI tracks in Live are all setup the same, and each one is routed to its own channel (1 to 6). Tracks 5 and 6 are configured the same as tracks 1 - 4, and these are recorded all right on the respective channels in Live, so I guess the problem doesn’t come from the MIDI settings in Live.

Has anybody met the same problem and found a solution?

Thanks in advance

(And I use a MIDI to USB cable to connect the old MnM to my computer)

On the face of it, everything is set up OK. I don’t remember hearing of this problem before and I almost always use the MIDI sequencer tracks rather than the internal tracks to sequence other gear.

You might try:

• checking your MM firmware version number to ensure you that you are on 1.32B
  • ensuring that your MIDI sequencer track channel numbers don’t overlap with the channel numbers 1 to 6 that you have set for the internal tracks.

Thanks for your input.
Yeah, I’m using the last firmware and my MIDI (only) tracks are routed to channel 10 - 14.
It’s really strange because track 5 - 6 do send data, but on the base channel only…
I thinks I’ll create a support ticket.

1 Like

I recently had my MnM upgraded with a +Drive, but I don’t see how that could affect MIDI output

OK, really strange, but for posterity - in case this happens to anybody else - when I erase the full pattern, tracks 5 and 6 start outputing MIDI on the proper channels again…

This is a bit annoying because I use complex arpegiators on all tracks as modulation sources, and I need to set them up again

But whatever, it works now, no need for a trip to Sweden

1 Like

It’s probably of interest to very very few people, but I found out the issue came from the arpeggiator: whenever it’s set NOT to trigger the amp (i.e. just the filter and LFO), the whole track outputs MIDI to the base channel instead of its own channel. It’s quite strange, I find. Yep. Now wrote it, I feel better… Nerd mode: Off.

2 Likes

interesting find!

my bigger interest is how you got the +Drive upgrade in the year 2020?

Ask Elektron:

Yeah, they still do it. I wanted to have this done quickly because I’m afraid they stop one day soon. It was quite swift and they even changed the glass screen to reflect the +Drive addition. It now indicates SFX60+.

1 Like

I wonder if you figured out this long-standing issue with the MnM?
I recall having the exact same issue long ago, created a trouble ticket but was told to factory-reset it.
Also had similar issues with internal Tracks 5 + 6 too, plus have read posts over the years reporting the same.

oh wow, i thought they stopped doing it! don’t know why…

incredible news