Help plz. Simple audio edit on iOS

What I’d like to do tldr
Sticking to a single waveform I just want to make a selection within it, copy, and then paste somewhere else overwriting whatever’s there for the duration

I have a bunch of iOS audio editing apps plus DAWs and others with audio editors built in, but can’t do this seemingly simple thing I used to do on Peak on an old old Mac…

Been doing my editing in Auria for ages, but in that app this simple thing is long-winded and can give glitches as a result of splitting into regions and you have to bounce again to get a single waveform

So I bought Neon - it pastes as an insert, it pastes with a merge, but if you choose paste and replace the whole waveform is trimmed down to what was on the clipboard

Then I bought TwistedWave. Its ‘paste over’ function is really a merge

In both of those you can’t even do the workaround of silencing the target portion first because you can’t retain the selection length

I have a ton of apps with waveform editors but no luck so far.

don’t want to make another purchase without knowing.

Just tried in Cubasis3 (quickly remembering why I rarely use the audio editor in that) & Hokusai (though I don’t have Hokusai pro)

Maybe I’m missing something in one that I already own. Maybe I have to buy Auditor (can that even do it?!)

Thanks for any tips!

Not sure if this is useful but if you’re still hard up for a fix you can do something of a workaround in audacity (might be able to transpose the method into your existing software) or there’s also a paste/replace plug in that someone developed but I think the clips need to be of equal length.

Workaround discussion:

Plug-in dowload:

1 Like

Thanks @shigginpit

I’ve used those steps in audacity before - didn’t know about the plug-in though.

I’m back in Auria for this now

I had a thorough go with Twistedwave, Neon and Wavebox. In those last two there are workarounds but an issue is that they depend on keeping the selection length intact and moving it about which isn’t possible when the ratio of selection to overall waveform is too great - you just lose or end up resizing the selection.

I’m up for another purchase (either Hokusai Pro upgrade or Auditir or…) but this time I need to know upfront

Auria has the distinct advantage of having a transparent overlay of what you’re about to ‘paste’ - so you can line up peaks easily.

Weird that (seemingly) no iOS audio editors have a basic ‘paste and replace’

1 Like