Help my memory

Last summer I was listening to some podcast about music (as usual), and here I find the first gap because I don’t remember which podcast or with whom. in any case it was about an album that I later listened to and (second gap) I don’t remember anything except:
The artist was a man
The artwork was red
It was a sample base music

all the tracks were composed of very small samples of very famous songs rearranged to form a completely new collage of sounds, the samples were long enough to remember the original song but mixed in a messy but organic way. it’s difficult for me to give more information, if anyone can help me I thank them very much :partying_face:

Maybe it was Canadian
Maybe it was in an interview with Scanner

Could it be this release as I’ve often spoken about it in interviews, etc.

" In 1993 Oswald released Plexure . Arguably his most ambitious composition to date, it attempted to microsample the history of CD music up to that point (1982–1992) in a 20 minute collage of bewildering complexity."

He’s Canadian too so this all makes sense :smiley:

51VsyN6bgUL.UXNaN_FMjpg_QL85

12 Likes

Reminds me of when I was a kid in the early 80’s doing pause mix cassettes by tuning radio to random channels, wish I still had those tapes now.

2 Likes

Haven’t listened to that yet, but does it contain samples of Bobby Brown, Garth Brooks, and The Boss?
The cover is intriguing. Reminds me when me and friends would drop acid and make college’s with Nat Geo and junk mail. Those were the days.

3 Likes

This work contains more than you could ever imagine!

01 - Open-Bo No Ma-1.Suck-2.Rip (0:00) 02 - Urge-Marianne Faith No Morrisey-1.Slow-2.Slice-3.Blink (1:27) 03 - Manifold-Bing Stingspreen-1.Philosophy-2.Phase (3:14) 04 - Blur-Bolton Chili Overdire-1.Moment-2.Wow-3.Nest (4:51) 05 - Zoom-Sinead O’Connick Jr.-1.Alone-2.Gogh (6:41) 06 - Cyfer-Depeche Mould (8:01) 07 - Compact-R.E.M.T.V. Hammercamp-1.Phase 2-2.Snap (9:46) 08 - Worse-Anthrax Squeeze Factory (11:26) 09 - Mad Mod-Jello Bellafonte (12:43) 10 - Temperature-Beastie Shop Beach-1.Tempus Amoré (Hyper Love Time)-2.Tempo Pact (14:10) 11 - Massive-Ozzie Osmond-1.Hazzard-2.Warning-3.Treacherous (15:57) 12 - Velocity-Aretha Vanilli-1.Tremendous-2.Tremulous (18:13)

2 Likes

When I read this, I immediately thought of John Oswald, though I couldn’t connect the “red” clue. I’ve never seen the cover of Plexure until looking at the embedded thumbnail here, but I had some of his works for a while. I was alerted to the 2-CD compilation Plunderphonics 69-96 (2000) by the UK music magazine The Wire, and I found and purchased it at Amoeba Music in Berkeley. It was usually impossible for me to find anything the magazine talked about, so this was somewhat of a coup. It was packaged as an awkwardly-shaped box set, too big to fit nicely into a regular shelf, so I put it on top of the Ikea bookcase which held my CDs. I don’t know if anything from Plexure was included in there; the artist credits were all anagrams, and I am terrible at those. Later I found a used copy of Grayfolded (1996), a more reasonable-sized double CD, which was created from dozens of bootleg recordings of “Dark Star” by the Grateful Dead. I am not really a Grateful Dead fan, so this was somewhat wasted on me. Neither of these survived the First Great CD Purge of 2013 (moved from four-bedroom house to two-bedroom apartment) as I admired them more than actually listening to them.

1 Like