Help Me Pick a Bass Synth

Christmas is coming up and short story long I’ve got some money to gift myself some gear. I want to get a dedicated analog bass synth to go along with my DT, DN, A4, AH, and OT. It would be great if it could do Acid but that is not really necessary. Would like it to be able to do big mean beefy lines and also more finesse stuff. Playablity out of the box is a must. I just got my OT this past summer and my A4 last winter and I am still learning those so i really do not have time to learn a new UI. Price ranger in between 500 and 600 bucks. No Behringer. Things I’m looking at.

Erica Synths DB-01

Can def do the acid and big beefy bass lines. Love the hands on controls. Love the pattern randomization

However, it has limited connectivity, no CC controls, MIDI is just note and gate length (my understanding). While i do like the pattern randomization and different play modes, again, the thought of learning a new UI kinda makes my eyes glaze over.

Moog Minitaur

Lots of modulation and connectivity. Def easy to play right out of the box. No sequencer to learn.

Sounds absolutely gorgeous but do not know if it’s really the sound i’m going for. No ability to do acid from what i’ve heard.

Also thinking about a Dreadbox Hades kit. This would give me plenty of modulation with all the patch points it has but the sound is an unknown for me. Also they are kits and i’ve never done that before. Might be fun but also might be a pain in the ass.

If anybody has any of these or any other suggestions please chime in.

2 Likes

Minitaur will definitely do Acid:

people seem to either love them or hate them. i’ve never heard anything really do sub bass in the same way, but may or may not be important to you.
It’s actually pretty versatile, does perfectly good leads too unless you are a bat.

4 Likes

If I may, you might be able to have your cake and eat it too.

3 Likes

ahhhhhh fuck i forgot about that thing

1 Like

If you can get a Minitaur, I would bite the bullet and get the Sub25 personally.

2 Likes

Yeah I kinda agree with that too.
Or even a slimPhatty if you wanna save space.
Definitely something along the lines of Moog, Erica Synths, possibly Dread Box.
Analog Solutions make some cool stuff too.
Anything that’s more VCO classic synth pairs well with elektron. Elektron boxes just don’t get in that territory.
The Tori’s AS-1 sounds gooood too.

I’ve always read the Korg MS-10 is massive for bass.

What about a Novation Bassstation 2?

6 Likes

I loved my bass station but when I got my A4 I felt like their sounds overlapped enough to sell the bass station. Of course this is a subjective ymmv kinda thing tho.

The Digitone makes massive bass.

6 Likes

+1 for the Toraiz. Loads of controllability via CC or Sysex and it does much more than just bass sounds. Small footprint too.

1 Like

I sold my minitaur after I got syntakt. Dual Osc synth is plenty versatile and BASSY. So maybe save and have even more versatility. Plus collect them all!!!

2 Likes

whoa. Never heard of this Toraiz. Watching videos now. May have a new winner.

1 Like

Dreadbox Typhon.
Vermona Mono Lancet.
Roland SE-02.
Volca FM or Bass or Nu Bass.

3 Likes

It belies it’s tiny size. One voice from the Prophet 6 with a pretty good sequencer and fx. What’s not to like! :sunglasses: (apart for the lack of controls but I guess that’s where the CC comes into the equation)

The DB-01 is quite playable (and has a really good bass sound) but the Mono (if your budget can stretch that far) is even more playable (it may be the single most fun synth I own) and more versatile. It’s an impressive debut design.

2 Likes

I also got the octa for a year now and the a4 since half a year or so. I decided to not buy anything at the moment I realized the analog four can basically most of the synth stuff and more than most other synths. My conclusion was to not buy anything and use what I have.

7 Likes

It’s a single voice Prophet 6, I’m not even joking :p, same architecture, same midi CC layout, etc.

1 Like

I know, I know, Behringer…
But I really like my Neutron.
But I like Doepfer A-111-6 into fold6 too, and Norand Mono. And Stylophone Gen-R8. And Microfreak. And single cycle waveforms. And,… And,…

In the end: you will get different answers all along :wink: You must decide for yourself.

1 Like

So does the A4. You can make 16 massive basslines at once with the gear you already have.

You’re just gassing (no problem or judgement, we’ve all been there).

My advice would be to dedicate yourself to one machine you already own and bassline the shit out of that one. :fist_left:t2:

7 Likes

Vermona Mono Lancet

If you’re in the UK mine’s for sale in the marketplace :+1:

Better than a Minitaur IMO. It’s mega creamy and more performable. Nothing beats a 24db ladder filter for that sound - although the Elektron dual oscillators are decent.

If you want acid that’s a different synth - envelope and filter needs are different, you’re unlikely to find one option that does both - I’d go for a 303 clone.

The Hades is a good shout - also only some will be kits, most will be sold assembled from what I understand. Sounds incredible. That 18db filter works magic on those oscillators.

2 Likes