Help me decide: Octatrack or Akai MPC One?

to the op, do either the octatrack or the mpc have specific features that you need that one has that the other doesn’t, for example do you need the sample freeze per pad feature of the mpc or do you need the conditional trigs of the octatrack… if so then your answer is clear, otherwise buy the octatrack and if it turns out to not work for you sell it make some money and buy an mpc one… and do it quickly I don’t have all day! :nerd_face:

1 Like

Thank you for your reponse. I think i will go for the MPC after watching the video above :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Not sure if you intended to quote me on the looper, but yes the button combos on the mki are really adding to the easy to forget factor, the mkii is really a big improvement on that.

The cv out is nice, didn’t know it has that feature, not that I need more cv out.

The move is buy the Octatrack first. Get frustrated and quit and then switch to MPC. And then come back to the Octa and study it… and realize it’s the GOAT.

3 Likes

:shushing_face: no spoilers ; -)

1 Like

That OT price is really hard to pass up that’s a great deal.

1 Like

For me the answer would be simple - buy the Octatrack. Why? Because you’re unlikely to find it for such an inexpensive price when you do decide you want it. The MPC One’s price is unlikely to change any time soon (it just went up in the US). You can always sell the Octatrack if you don’t get on with it and the MPC will be available when you do.

Now, any other time, I’d ask about your experience and then, if you had not much, I’d say MPC One. It’s a pretty easy interface, despite being deep. I’ve got an MPC Live MkII and an Octatrack. I almost never needed to open the manual to the MPC, but almost always have to look into the Octatrack’s manual - this despite having owned one for six years or more.

You can make complete productions on both instruments, but the MPC feels more like an all-rounder to me, whereas the Octatrack has “a very particular set of skills”, and pretty much no other piece of hardware can touch it for those functions.

Now, if it helps at all, let me say that I can easily envision a world without my MPC, but would never dream of ditching my Octatrack…

12 Likes

people down beat machines up…

All right, I haven’t been reading a whole lot, apart from your question so I might be duplicating answers here.

OT is not a daw, you will need some sort of a daw to complete all function of what the MPC can do.

I feel the MPC workflow to be more akin of a laptop, so if you like using a laptop you’ll like the mpc workflow.

OT doesn’t have pads, so if you like finger drumming then it’s not for you.

The OT for me, becomes the souls of the music. You don’t see it, it’s just there, behind the sample, behind the synth, behind the controls. It’s like your ‘chef d’orchestre’. It’s like your creative juice manager, once it’s setup it just works. Of course you have to set it up for your needs.

The MPC one is there, right in your face, it commend you attention and you play with IT, I find it more ‘present’ and commanding of your energy/time/mind. It’s good when you want this kind of attention.

I personally like to play with my synth, I like to play the flute mic it, trough an effect, then in the OT. Have the OT manages my work, while I create on other tools. I also have a Vs-1860 as my DAW (not on the computer) so I can record multiple tracks of what I am doing. I went away from the MPC line a while back (I played with the mpc-1000 for a while back in the days) and the mpc one is too close to the computer workflow for my own creativity.

Also - buy the OT and try it out. You’ll be able to resell for more and then you’ll have the right experience.

2 Likes

I owned both. They’re very different devices. I second the statement that the MPC ist more like working on a laptop, and despite the fact that it can do a lot, I found it to be quite cluttered sometimes. It didn’t inspire me at all tbh.
The Octatrack is much more unique, might be more limited concerning the specs, but it can put out really crazy stuff, maybe more like a mixer with sampling/looping/sequencing/FX stuff. On the downside, it’s quite complicated to use, you have to spend some time to learn it and you have no single outs (hated that). On the other hand, it always almost leads you to new discoveries.

For 700€, I’d buy the OT - it’s a no brainer. You can still sell it for even more if you don’t like it.

2 Likes

I am not so sure about buying a friends ot for 700€, and then sell it for more short after.

1 Like

Buy and try the OT.
If u sell it, Drink a lot of beers with your friend :wink:

You don’t get to decide if you want an OT. It chooses you. The MPC is more an adoption that you choose. No seriously. If you haven’t the money get the cheaper option. Both can make great music in the right hands.

2 Likes

This is a good point. He is a close friend so if i sell the OT later he will for sure notice

Yeah… It was like a calling… OT saying ‘‘GET ME’’.

Yes that is correct. I considered buying the LIVE II but i read that they use the same RAM.
I have the TAscam model 16 so connections are not a problem.
I have a lot o vinyls and vintage ones. For example i have the complete series of ‘‘Storia della Musica’’ on 45 rpm. It is like a documentary including all sorts of ancient instruments and various chants from around the world. I thought that would be a very creative experience to chop samples and mangle them. When i see the workflow of MPC it looks very hands on and easy.

Thank you for your words. They really helped me decide.

I had an Octatrack, then I sold it for the Live and now I’m settled for the Force and I would not go back. Sampling on the MPCs tales no preparation, it’s always one button away. Also, having tons of tracks as opposed to just 8 (7 if you want master effects) is a blessing.
Plus everything you put in one of the Akai sounds like gold, not sure why.
And it takes zero time to learn the workflow.

Cons, they are less ‘Sophisticated’, and don’t support signatures other than 4/4.

My suggestion would be to go for a Force, cheaper than an OT and clip mode is just great.

1 Like

Interesting suggestion. Does the Force need a computer to work? Are there any unique features that the MPC One doesnt have?
I know i can read these informations online, but i want to hear from an experienced user.
Thank you in advance.

If you like setting everything up with no accidents, surprises, or anything like that. Then pick the MPC, it is very cut and dry.

If you like random chaotic things and being able to express yourself in the music as you’re playing it, then pick the Octatrack.

I’ve had both and I wouldn’t buy an MPC again if I had to pick one or the other.

1 Like