Help! MD starts no more!

This tracks with my recent repair experience with Elektron. Took a good while, but after they sent the repaired MD back for the first time and it crashed after a day, I sent it back and told them I suspected the power supply board (because disconnecting/reconnecting that board temporarily fixed the issue). I believe they replaced it outright - they weren’t sure if they had any legacy oem parts left in stock. Haven’t had any issues since its return quite a few months ago. Hopefully it continues to function well for many moons to come. Also hoping my Monomachine doesn’t suffer the same fate!

rats my MD looks just like OPs picture.
I got it into test mode once but none of the buttons worked.

One of these fixed it for me, but I’m not sure which one.

1. Took it apart and reseated all the ribbon cables. Including the little one near the PSU
  2. Replaced the internal battery. (I had it apart at the time so why not)

Since then it’s been fine.

2 Likes

Adding to this thread to report that I’ve had the same looping logo screen problem recently. I went through the process reseating all the ribbon cables as some have suggested, and it seemed to have done the trick.
But then a week or so later, after I sold my MKI (thanks to a fairly good deal on a MKII), the buyer encountered the exact same problem. Occasionally it did boot normally for a while for him and he proceeded to use it, but then it would loop again. I gave him his money back, unceremoniously repeated the taking apart and reseating of ribbon cables, and everything is again, I hope, running pretty great.
I even got a new (insanely large in a very ugly DIY case) power supply in case that was the issue as some previous threads have indicated, but so far the old one is doing the trick.
I honestly don’t know how to proceed at this point. A tech examined the unit and checked all the capacitors and everything. I’m baffled.

1 Like

Just to say that my SPS MK1 just have been resurrected thanks to this tread. After the red screen of death for several months, I actually read this tread and after open it up, cleaning and disconnecting the power board it magically go as a charm! Thanks to everyone!!!

5 Likes

This reinforces my suspicion that this issue may be power related. This hasn’t happened to my MD (yet) but it happens with my MnM. I’ve had to resit some of the cables inside to make it boot several times. The last time I did also coincided with me using a better power strip. I’ve been using this power strip for almost a year and I haven’t had to resit the cables inside my MnM yet…

Anyway, not to derail the topic for the MD, but I think it’s relevant since they both seemingly suffer from the issue.