Help: I can’t hear compression!

…I mean, unless I’m smashing drums or something. Then I’m good. But whenever someone talks about “tightening up a mix” or “adding glue” I’m hopeless.

I was watching reviews of bus comps. Every one of them they’d play some A/B tests, and then cut back to the reviewer who’d be on the ground and shaking in fits because of how expanded the sound stage was or how it really thickened up the low end or some such.

I’ve got good ears. I’ve got really nice headphones. I couldn’t tell you the difference if my life depended on it. I guess I need to learn what to listen for? Like it’s an ear training thing? But then also, if it sounds good, it is good… and if you have to really work to hear it, maybe it’s not that great?

So please help me, fellow Elektronauts. Anyone have lessons or examples they used to get good at hearing and recognizing compression? Is it even worth it? Or is it all an elaborate scam to sell $4k mastering hardware?

16 Likes

I am not an expert and I am right there with you. When I want subtle compression I make it extreme and back it off until I can just barely hear it, then maybe turn it down one more notch. If that makes sense.

I dont think electronic music needs a ton of compression on individual instruments and prefer saturation on busses.

Compression is just making the quieter sounds louder…
lowering the threshold squish’s the sound more…

It can make a sound more powerful because the quieter bits are louder…
It’s good on drums to make them chunky or beef up a sound if it’s getting lost in the mix

Just lower the threshold right down and turn up the ratio and you should hear it,
It flattens out the dynamics by making the loudest and quietest sounds closer together.

8 Likes
39 Likes

i had exactly this in mind :thup:

3 Likes

Was just about to post that Kush video. Snap!

4 Likes

The FabFilter C2 has the option to actually hear just the compressed elements of a for example drumbus, or what ever you put thru

comp c2

and you can see it within the plugin

get the trail-version, it is quite good for learning how compression works with your eyes and ears

9 Likes

Oh wow, that video… so much :brain:!

Thank you all!

1 Like

This video helped me a lot.

I also use the TDR Kotelnikov compressor that has a “delta” function which lets you hear only the bits that are being compressed.

3 Likes

Don‘t give up
When I was using a compressor the first times I was also not able to hear the differences - it will take some time

Now I don’t wanna miss compression on my tracks

Also I can recommend Gaz Williams Video which helped me a lot: (yeah it‘s the AH but the basics are the same)

He is using the envelope Follower as compressor

2 Likes

that is a smooth video. I really liked that! only missed a glass of wine to accompany

2 Likes

This is great. It really sums up how I’ve always used compression on, say, a single track or instrument. But I see people putting compression on the master of an already completely squashed mix getting maybe 0.5db GR and saying “Hear what a big difference that makes?” and I would swear they’re making it up.

Like, if I stick with it and really work at training my ears, will I be able to hear what this guy is going on about? https://youtu.be/cC9nJ03CmhE Do any of you all with better ears than me think mix after compression notably different? Improved? Is something this subtle mostly placebo? Or is is actually not very subtle and it’s just a lack of practice that makes me think so?

After seeing that guy I’m confident the name of the company might be connected to the wacky tobaccy

5 Likes

He sends monthly samples to all his patreon subs.

This is maybe a better starting description for a limiter. So much of the art of using compression goes into the attack/release times and the ratio/threshold. The difference between 1.5:1 compressor doing 6dB of gain reduction with 10 msec attack and 150 msec release and a 20:1 compressor doing 6dB at 50 microseconds attack, 10 msec release on the same material is massive.

Don’t sweat the 0.5dB stuff at first, learn to hear the obvious things and go from there. Here’s another vid of Greg, if you skip to 6 min in he demonstrates completely changing the groove and emphasis on a drum track with two different settings on the same compressor

4 Likes

Pretty much what I said can be applied to sub mixes to flatten out the dynamics, which can result in a louder mix when applied to all sub groups…
don’t get hung up on compression and limiters, they get overused these days.
If you have ever heard of the “loudness wars” over compressed and over limited tunes sound awful to my ears, Making a good tune is more important than just making it loud.

1 Like

Compression is also a bit of an overhyped tool, honestly a lot of the times you’d think you need master compression you should just gain stage or volume automate your tracks. It’s like using an axe when you need a scalpel.

7 Likes

It’s very often overused, especially by people without experience who mistakenly think that large amounts of compression are a “magic fix” for bad mixes.

Personal preferences:

I default to the UA LA-2A for vocals. Perfect combo of warmth and presence while preserving dynamics.

I also like the subtle use of an SSL bus compressor for that “glue” on a mix. This, to me, can add a layer of cohesion, and make it sound like the instruments are in the same room together, if that makes sense.

For sidechaining, my choice varies, but I rarely go HAM. I sometimes apply just enough to give a little subtle pump and more headroom to up the overall volume a bit.

There are exceptions to subtlety, when the style calls for that over-the-top compressed pumping wall of sound like big room EDM.

I figure the more obvious and extreme the compression is, the more I’m “doing it wrong”. I like compression as a surgical tool on music that already has a good sound, not compression as a chainsaw.

YMMV

1 Like

There are moments when he looks exactly like Bob…

Now if we could just have the log lady explain phase alignment and Dale Cooper explain delay loops that would be great…

No seriously great video…

5 Likes