Height adjustable studio desks (Flexispot ESD1/other)

I need a new desk for work, and figured I might as well try to make it a studio desk, with a shelf for the monitor and for a MIDI keyboard etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally I’d like it to be motorised height adjustable as I’d like to try sometimes using a standing desk.

The one option I’ve seen which I thought looked quite good is the FlexiSpot ESD1 Studio Standing Desk ESD1| FlexiSpot – it seems like exactly what I had in mind, and I’ve heard a few people recommend Flexispot (for non-studio desks).

Searching on here turned up one person who has this model so I asked about how they are getting on with it (#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year! - #3392 by tdmusic), but would love to know if people know of other options I should consider!

I’ve no specific recommendations, but definitely get a motorized one.

Bought my wife a hand crank one from IKEA. It’s not been adjusted once in the last two months.

2 Likes

I‘m using an IKEA table that‘s adjustable called Bekant. It’s great, lots of space and a net underneath that can store all of your cables. Doesn’t have any folders or extra storage thingies, but I‘m sie you could add them somehow. It’s about 600€ and motorized.

1 Like

Nice thank you, I’ll check this out too!

One thing I noticed is the weight capacity of the Flexispot is only 50kg, some other models are much higher - will have to roughly work out how heavy my stuff is!

For some context:

2 Likes

An alternative is to go with a more generic and portable option, e.g. K&M Omega Pro: 18820 Table-style keyboard stand »Omega Pro« | König & Meyer

It supports up to 80 kgs, has tabletop options for each of its two extra tiers and its base. There is plenty of space, plus you can add a support for your laptop or tablet. Price range is around 500 EUR when fully upgraded, which is steep but worth it, given the portability and flexibility of the thing.

There is a motorized version for adjusting the height, which is obviously far more expensive, also heavier (and IMO not really portable) and probably geared towards professional use.

Ah wow that’s nice! Yeah the more I think about the ergonomics of a three level desk, I’m not sure if it’ll work well for me (I’m also a software developer so having a good ergonomic typing setup is probably more important tbh)

I am in the same situation. After months wanting to buy an Output Platform (they have been unavailable for like forever) I am considering a height adjustable desk. I have done quite a bit of research and atm I am leaning towards Flexispot E7 or Ergotopia Deskotpia pro (more expensive than the Flexispot but sturdier according to several reviews, not sure if it is worth the extra costs though). I have discarded the ESD1 for several reasons, the main three being: 1- no enough real state for my taste, 2- the keyboard tray is not lockable when extended, which means there is no way that is comfortable for playing keys, and 3- esthetics/look. I also think it is not the most stable desk while on standing position. Other downsides (as well as advantages) are well explained on this video.
So at the moment I think I am gonna get either the Flexispot E7 or the Ergotopia and put two 2U custom made Racks on it for my equipment (I don’t have plenty and I want to keep it that way) and to place the nearfields on them. I will only put a Sequential Take 5 on the desk and a pedaltrain nano with 4 pedals on it, my other synth (Sequential rev2) will have to stay on a stand.
My 2c.

1 Like

This is my current version of a modified Ikea desk. I also went for the one with the crank (which acts a headphone holder when not in use) and actually I also don’t adjust high very often. But the crank is not the reason for it, it works just fine and without much effort. And weight wise it didn’t fail on me yet despite having changing setup variations and with rack gear already a good amount of base weight. There is a slight tilt due to the weight though…

1 Like

I have an IKEA Bekant, but it really lacks shelving for additional layers, you will have to go DIY. Old pic (without monitor stands). For anything in the Digi chassis, I highly recommend looking into VESA arm mounts. There are some out there that are sturdy and won’t give you wobble. My issues mostly stem from the form factor of the Digitone Keys.