Hefty new techno track : Q1T

Project started as experimenting with CV modulation from Circuit Mono Station to AH. Ended with a clusterfuck of fx, distortion and feedback.

Used AR, MD, AH, CMS (only CV source), Eventide & EHX pedals, Xone:96 (with its filters & distortions).

Feedback appreciated!

12 Likes

Also, introducing my new monniker : Artificial Intolerance :skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

Banging

1 Like

Only listening on laptop speakers at the moment (tsk!) but this sounds great. Hefty indeed!

1 Like

Like it
Bang ON
How’s your 96 behaving? Happy with it?

1 Like

Loving it! The 2 filters on it are just great. One use for them is as a kind of mix busses. Particular about is that you can completely filter out the channels sent into it but they are still sent dry to the aux sends from their channel strips. So you still have their FX processed signals and can then mix in the dry signal with the filters. Used a lot in the track posted above.

I have my 2 Eventide pedals on the 2 return channels and routed into filter 1 by standard. With the crunch I add a nice grit to reverbs and delays and roll off and modulate the high end with the filter.

I also use one cue output to send channels to my AH. With the cue buttons I choose which get sent in (one or more at a time). AH returns on channel 4. Dry signals are on the other channels. It’s fun to modulate the dry/wet balance with the crossfader.

A slight drawback is that the 2 return channel inputs are not sent via USB for DAW recording. Would have been nice but not a deal breaker in my workflow. It’s super easy to do overdubs by switching a channel source to USB.

2 Likes

A&H filters are a trademark.
Happy you are liking it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great. That was my favourite bit haha!

1 Like

I got a critique about the track only really picking up momentum in the final segment and reworked earlier parts to create more tension. End also tweaked. What do you think?

2 Likes

hefty was promised. hefty was delivered. I love this wall of sound. It’s an assault. love it.

1 Like

Have you got pics of your setup anywhere? I’m thinking about picking up a DJ mixer. Any comments on your Xone and how you are using it?

I give some info earlier in this thread and discussed it more at length in the Xone:96 thread: Xone 96 Mixer

Will post a pic in a bit.

1 Like

I moved since but setup s the same:

3 Likes

Thanks a lot. I’m trying to decide between the 96, DB4 or the PX5. Each has their own flavour but all of them look great. Tough to decide.

Cool Track!
I think it would be cool to have some sidechain/ ducking effect in the lower frequency range, especially for the reverb cloud (More bounce & groove). Don’t know how to do with the gear, I’m also looking for something like that. Like shaperbox itb.
Main theme could be a little bit louder and Filter more open.
Panning is nice.
Missing some offbeat closed hats, only 16ths. Thicker kick would work as well.
But all in all I like it!

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback! Really appreciate it when people make the effort.

Yeah so this is definitely my kind of jam!!

Sounding great, can’t really offer too much advice in that regard yet (making electronic music only since about a year now).

Regarding structure and dynamics: I agree with the feedback that it took a bit long for the final momentum to pick up. I think it’s good to restructure for that; but I feel in the second take it’s a bit too quick to definitively-full-on (excuse my weird non-native English word-vibe-guesswork).

Another thing related to this, but I could imagine this will complicate things, and maybe is also a matter of taste: I like the tension you’re going for, but sometimes I personally also like moments of release between the tension, where you get a pocket of “chorus” traditionally speaking, where you can lock in to a groove. Also with industrial f.e. this applies for me. Now it feels a bit as óne long build up; and I could use a few more moments that lock you in this hypnotic trance; which means a bit less tension and movement. For example: the part from approx 1m10s for the next half minute or so (redone version), could be the first kind of riff/hook/chorus kind of part with the new “melodic” element coming in. But the rides that quickly come in (the ones Fading in and out) are really creating tension already very quickly, suggesting buildup towards something following to come - at least to me.

Just tried to write down my thoughts, for what they’re worth. But love the track, curious to hear more.

(Was eyeballing the MD already like crazy in the recent Phase Fatale How To Make a Track, now here, f**k Im really getting curious towards that one)

1 Like

Thanks!

Structure between the 2 versions is the same. 2nd version has a couple elements added on top and some minor others tweaks. Was trying to get away with not re-recording the whole thing over. Out of lazyness really :smile: I agree with your comments if i m honest to myself. It makes a good draft (mainly a live jam) and a re-write would be necessary to make it a good composition.

The noise fx that comes in first is very heavily processed MD sounds. The rest is AR.

Check my other tracks. Plenty of MD and AR on there!

1 Like

Thanks! Love the sound, definitely will give your other tracks a listen!

And just to restate: fully positive about your work. Just made myself come up with some constructive feedback instead of just throwing you a thumbs up:)

And hahaha so funny how the tracks build up is the same. Was wondering already when I was listening the second, how much the reception of it is different just because you already listened to it in the previous version. Was half aware that it might be more similar then I thought, but really felt like the whole arrangement was changed :joy:

1 Like