Heat workflow - what's your setup?

Pretty sold on the Heat after watching numerous demos online, my question is how have people integrated it into their setups? I currently have a DT and Korg Monologue, ideally I’d like to be able to use different settings for different tracks as well as the clean boost on the master.

As far as I understand it’s not possible to run multiple instances of Overbridge to do this, but is there an alternative other than resampling parts with the Heat settings applied?

Thanks

I have it at the end of my live chain to beef things up and glue the mix. Subtle amounts of the tame circuits really make things come to life.

While recording a track I may record one stereo mix with Heat using the analog inputs or multi- track and keep changing settings for each track. It’s a flexible machine that has slinked its way into all my current and future productions!

Yes there is a solution.
Buy multiple Heat’s :grinning:
Although Heat looks like any other plugin you can only use one instance at a time. You will have to record each synth independantly with different Heat settings if you are wanting to effect each instrument differently.

1 Like

DT, Heat, and Monologue user chiming in and saying the same thing that heat seems to shine used subtly over a whole mix and also as a sound design tool like hearing the Monologue with a high pass filter that’s getting panned back and forth for example… that kinda thing too

I use mine at the master outs pretty much exclusively

I have my heat just for two weeks but struggle to find the perfect use for it. Right now I use it as master, but feel I can only add a tiny bit of its saturation/distortion else the mix gets too destroyed. I still miss some stronger saturation/distortion on my drums, so I’m wondering if I should use it only on my drums.
Or even as send?

Is anyone using it as send and is happy with it?

The wet/dry is crucial for getting the right balance of distortion while still preserving your transients. Also, envelope follower modulating the drive or dry/wet can achieve nice results, allowing you to only clip the transients or the tails of the sounds.

3 Likes

I snatched one dirt cheap the other day. Using it with my Volca Sample. Applying the envelopes and the LFO makes even a 16-step loop sound like it’s an organic ever-changing something that’s just full of life.

4 Likes

I wish I could put my heat at the end, but as it has no metronome, it´s a nogo for me. :frowning:

I use mine in between my mixer and my Octatrack (with cue outs going back to the mixer for an effects loop) when I’m creating (processing individual sounds), then when I’m ready to record I put it on the main outs of the OT before going into my interface (using clean boost with some added high and low eq).

I am quite happy with this workflow… don’t think I’ll ever use Overbridge. :slight_smile: