Heat vs strymon deco?

Heat for me is replaceable with plugins imo. It doesn’t have a “sound” to me, it’s a tool.

Deco on the other hand has a sound I can’t replace itb.

@JamesM can you elaborate a bit how bad it is and how do you handle it / to what extent you consider it a blocker?

I also have Subsequent 37 and planned to pair it with Deco
Already have issues with clipping using it with Source Audio Collider - had to tame all preset volumes and control master volume appropriately (keep it around half)

Thank you

For me the Moogs are just powerful signal wise.
I never ran into any clipping issues with the Deco.
I ran it as a send effect.
Volume knob about 1 o’clock.
Would send all kinds of stuff through it at once.

I ran the Deco as an insert effect on the Big SiX; it was hard to get the gain staging right as you could only send it up to +8db without clipping. V2 boosts that to 10db, and makes it easier.

baton, make sure you’ve got it running on studio mode.

1 Like

Good to know.
I sold my V1 when I got an AH+FX.
I miss the Deco sound, it’s ultra silky and definitely fun to twist the Lag knob while playing stuff.
The AH+FX warble is nice, but very different.
I really liked how the Deco kind of glues stuff together.

2 Likes

I have a deco v1 and AHmki

I’m keeping booth.

The Deco however never gets tweeked, i ran every synth through it, on every setting. I settled eventually on aux outputs of an 80s rompler (Roland JV1080) that has rom patches of 70s keyboards. The subtle edge it adds to hammond, rhodes and clav type sounds is perfect. Slightly overdriven and warbling but all the dynamic expressions of the sounds are retained. It just sits there now doing its thing and the only reason i remember i have it is that i have to manually turn it on with the foot switches.

The AHMKI however gets tweeked everyday, i have tried it on every synth i have, and still haven’t touched on every combination of potential settings, it can be subtle or completely fuck your signal in a good way. It has much more to offer sonicly. Im saving for the +fx but will still keep the mki. I find it sounds particularly good on bass guitar.

I ran the sub37 through both and wouldn’t recommend either, there is already like 2 layers of overdrive built into that synth and adding these 2 didn’t add anything different enough for me to find they did nice things to the signal. For extra beef that didn’t completely ruin the sound of that particular synth i use a darkglass alpha omicron blended subtlety with the mix knob. Also set and forget.

2 Likes

Just didn’t sound useable.

I used the SA Ventris on it and it clipped less than the Deco.

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful. The only fx that I’ve not had problems with on the Subsequent 37 is the OTO machines, which have very good input attenuation.

This is good to know. I know after 1:00, the signal gets driven by the mixer on the Grandmother and the Matriarch. Is the Sub 37 the same?

1 Like

Not sure as i don’t own the later…i think from what i have read however the sub is more distorted however…

1 Like