Headphones volume pot noise and other issues

Hey there, so my OTMK2 has several mechanical issues that I would like to solve:

1. the volume pot of the headphones is making noise and crackles when I turn it
  2. the trig button 1 is sometimes not responsive and I have to push it several times before it works
  3. sometimes the encoders seem to “tweak” parameters by themselves specially when I am p-locking some trig

The device is in very good state as I am using it not so often and only in studio.

Use it more ! Encoders and pots need to be tweaked. Turn them for a while…

There are also contact sprays.

I’d remove the trig button with something like a guitar pick and remove dust if any.

3 Likes

if the output crackles to speakers from audio outs and not just headphones from headphone output, the main volume pot is probably at fault? my dt has the same issue only on the left channel. Both monitor speakers and headphones.

1 Like

I have the same issue on my DT. I also get a tiiiny bit of noise at around the 8-11 o’clock position. This doesn’t cause any problems for me, but it would be nice if there was am easy fix.

Contact spray, move the pot…

All electrical contact based controls are prone to issues like these unfortunately, crackling or ‘chattering’. Small amounts of corrosion or debris can cause an uneven resistance response, contact cleaner usually helps but it’s a temporary fix.

I’d just really love more manufacturers of electronics to start utilising more contactless potentiometers/switches, hall effect/capacitive/optical. It’s certainly a thing that’s often done for switches in keyboards, flight joystick sensors, and in some music controls like DJ faders etc (the OT has an optical crossfader IIRC?). I don’t know if optical encoders are a thing, but if not they should be IMO even if the cost has to be a bit higher. A device with all contactless controls can last an extremely long time.

1 Like

normally I would agree but even before I joined the forum I was reading posts about crackling pots on elektron devices. this recent post a guy had all major components replaced by warranty service and still facing issue (on rytm)
Rytm volume potentiometer scratchy noise - Elektron Gear / Analog Rytm - Elektronauts

I’m hesitant to throw stop gap treatment at a problem that I think is hardware related but I have some contact cleaner, when I have time later today I’ll open up my digtakt so I can control the spray better and then move the pot up and down for I don’t know maybe a few minutes to really work it in, I’ll get back with the results and then in a few weeks if a fix is found today, I’ll report back to say if it stays fixed. My theory however, is there is a problem with some capacitor that elektron uses, perhaps not the pots. In analog mixers a lot of the time you don’t hear faders and pots crackle unless there is an issue with caps.

But we will see, I’ll try this later today with contact cleaner and let everyone know how the result goes.

My dt was manufactured in I think 2018 so I don’t know if this problem is more common to mk1 devices and early digis. This thread deals with mk2 so I’m guessing it’s not specific to a single time period of production.

1 Like

Yep. I also have an optical wah wah. Regular wahs can be very noisy.

1 Like

Hehe that’s what I hope, now my goal is to play my OT at least 2-3 times a week, just like going out for jogging… Anyway I’ll try to use the contact spray; do you know if it’s safe to remove the front plate without breaking some pots? I had very bad experiences with the plastic encoders of older Elektron devices like Machinedrum in past…

I think removing the knob caps suffice…

Chose appropriate spray for pots and encoders, I don’t have a reference.

My Syntakt has had a crackling volume pot since I got it brand new, so I don’t think it’s a dust or ageing issue

1 Like

[quote=“sezare56, post:10, topic:189162”]
appropriate spray for pots and encoders [/quote]
maybe asking directly to Elektron assistance should be easier

1 Like

Here is the result of my experiment with contact cleaner on the volume pot:

I believe this is referred to as a “zero-sum game”, what is gained on one side is lost on another. I notice the scratchy noise from the left audio is gone, or so much improved that I am moving the pot back and forth questioning if I hear anything or not. Before, it was audible mostly all the time, there was no question - So, this is gain.

Loss - My volume pot now suffers from pot wobble, has a loose and slightly inconsistent feel. It is not completely loose so it does not suddenly turn very fast, but it is loose as in the shaft moves slightly inside the bushing in all directions, along the lines of how you would move an arcade game joystick. Turning volume up and down, the action does not feel the solid turn as before and is missing some of the resistance against the turn which makes fine tuning easy. It is not crippling, but it no longer has the solid feel that made the elektron machine seem superior. The wobble reminds me of how I think my waldorf rocket feels every time I play it, that the machine would be better suited with more solid hardware. Perhaps the change to the digi is not so extreme as the waldorf feel, but that’s the impression I’m left with.

I did contact elektron support to see about ordering some replacement pots just in case I end up needing one for the digitakt (and one as back up for the digitone) but for now, for the time being, I’ll continue to observe and I’ll report back to this post if something gets worse or there is some other change worth note. Otherwise I suppose you can figure that it is fine to do as long as you don’t mind losing the resistance of the mechanical grease that gives the pot a solid feel when you turn it.

Just for the record, I used crc electrical contact cleaner and I did not drown the pot, I was very conservative with the manner applied and the amount used. It seems that this method which worked for me in the past on a guitar potentiometer is not well suited to the elektron micro potentiometer. That’s all for now folks.

2 Likes

So you think it is due to contact cleaner ? My A4 encoders had a lot of wobble, but appently it is possible to improve it with pliers…

well, I know it didn’t wobble before I used the contact cleaner so it’s the only reasonable conclusion. The feeling of constant or consistent resistance when you turn up or down, the smoothness is gone. It’s a trade off though, like I said, I can’t get the pot to crackle anymore.

I found this thread on a bass guitar forum but it’s still the internet so you can’t always just buy everything people cry about online as fact

Loose / Flimsy tone Pot on J-Bass (after cleaning) | TalkBass.com

in fact as I was turning the shaft to work the cleaner in, it all of a sudden felt this way. It went from one to the other in the process of, so I can only assume some of this is true. but I don’t buy that it’s done for, it works. I’ll keep it updated though.

1 Like

It was on Octatrack?
I used contact cleaner on Digitakt encoders, I didn’t notice wobble after. Maybe it induced wobble, but as I’m used to A4 and OT MKI obvious wobble…(maybe more than 1 mm).

I’m afraid you flushed away the grease from the shaft!
The grease creates a thick film that allows the shaft to turn without wearing out the material. This film also prevent dust getting inside.
So where did the grease go, I can only guess.

3 Likes

I had the machine open and everything blocked off. I know exactly where it went. there’s nothing to wonder about.

it is digitakt. not the encoders or “endless potentiometers”, only used it on the analog volume pot.

1 Like

So, the grease from the shaft is now on the carbon layer where future dust particles will stick and creates another problem?

I’m sorry to say, but I believe you ruined the pots! The mechanical consistency has been compromised.
It is possible to take apart the pots and encoders and restore them, but more efficient would be to replace them by new ones.

In the past I’ve replaced numerous pots and encoders from Blofeld and Ambika plus countless hi-fi and guitar amps because the previous owners thought to outsmart a proper service.

Please, never use contact spray. It might give temporal relief, but it is a downward spiral. On some pots you can try compressed air to blow away dust from the carbon track.
Best is to turn the knob and hope the dust particles get swiped away or else bring in the gear for service and get the parts replaced.

Hope this helps in reducing future troubles.

I appreciate your insight and thorough reading of the thread, thank you.