Headphone Recommendations?

akg 712 are the best hp since 3-4 years 4me:
-very light weight, they never press unpleasent
-very linear sound
-good for mastering
-sometimes without hp amp not loud enough

also bought the olloaudio hp
-also fantastic linear sound
-more isolated, good for details, but not so suitable to wear it 6 hours or so.
don’t know there are possebilities for some finetuning
-loud enough without hp amp

1 Like

Have a look at the Roberts Pillow Talk… you can get them surprisingly loud without disturbing your partner, and it’s way more comfortable than using in ears.

1 Like

I’m seeing a lot of audeze older models hit the used market these days, is everyone trying to upgrade to the L5?

That or the MM-500. The MM-500 is a noticeable upgrade

1 Like

gotta check those out

I have the mm-500 and they are endgame headphones in my opinion. Don’t think I will ever have any reason to upgrade. Before I got them I hated every headphone I tried for mixing but these translate great to my genelec monitors. I also think for mixing and studio use they are better than the lcd-5 which are very finicky with how you position them on your head for some reason (maybe the difference in ear cups?).

how are you driving them?

They don’t seem to need a heavy duty headphone amp (like my sennheiser hd-600 did for example), so once I got them I sold all my headphone amps and I am just using one of the headphone outs on my audio interface (a prism titan).

1 Like

They also just announced a cheaper variation called the mm-100.

Same for me with the MM-500. Never looked back and easy to power.

thanks for the tip

Looking for some open-back headphones that won’t break the bank. Would love some of those MM-500s, but that’s too much.

I’ll be interested in these new MM-100s when they are available. Anything else in the sub €300-€400 range? For studio use only, maybe a bit of light listening. Open-back essential, as I don’t like feeling closed in. Currently using Koss Porta Pros (!) just because they are open.

I am fan of the Sennheiser 6XX. I use them both for listening and mixing.

2 Likes

it becomes important when taking into consideration the fact that most audio interfaces, phones, and computers have terrible headphone amplifiers, which often distort driving anything with moderate power needs

don’t need anything crazy for most headphones, but if you’re producing and want to use higher-sensitivity cans you’ll want some sort of amp, namely for use from an audio interface. i’ve been using an old fiio amp that’s very clean, runs whatever i’ve thrown at it just fine and has been since I was a teenager

2 Likes

Great price for an industrial standard. I think Ive own three pair over the last 20 years. Need to sport a tshirt with just an image of them.

1 Like

Honestly I would just continue to use the Porta Pro. Of course you need a corrective EQ to fix the high frequency roll-off, but the beauty of them (other than being open backed) is that they’re on-ear as opposed to in-ear or over-ear.

I posted a dedicated thread about the KOSS Porta Pro the other day but deleted it shortly after. I thought peeps might think I’m taking the piss with them having such a crazy roll-off, but with a corrective EQ for mixing I really like them.

Also I was a teen in the 80s so maybe I’m biased, but I absolutely love the physical design as well. You can buy the same model today as was launched back in 1984 (the one with blue driver vents and a standard stereo cable).

Bert, Grover and Santa Schwarzenegger made a nice review video about it and even threw in some history. It’s a fun half-hour and you just might find you no longer wish to replace them.

Seriously, just stick a corrective EQ in there, that’s what I do and I freaking love the things!

1 Like

The MDR7506 or V6 are a really good inexpensive choice.

If you pick one of these up I highly recommend you also get a pair of the Beyerdynamic velour pads (https://global.beyerdynamic.com/edt-250v.html) that will make them even more comfortable and less sweaty.

2 Likes

I would love to see this thread

Just dropped in to tell people to stay away from AKG K702.

Lacking in lows with exaggerated, harsh tops.

2 Likes