Headphone Recommendations?

shouldn’t be difficult, in general once installed it should be available as audio device on system, so you choose it as the audio device for the os, then in the software you create as many outputs as you want, when choosing interface as an output it should list all available outputs so you can select the ones you want, after that you apply a headphone profile. I only have 2 outputs on my scarlet solo but I imagine if you have separate outputs on the rme they should be available…

checkout this video, it might help:

1 Like

I did follow that video but unless the sound comes from the laptop there is no input signal when i use SoundID standalone app.

I guess i need to have a kind of loopback so the sound comes back the soundcard’s headphones output treated by SoundID. I might have to fight again with TotalMix, the RME software managing the routing for my BF Pro.

Anyways, i am derailing slighty off topic.

1 Like

I found a good deal on these Grado’s locally. Anyone have a pair and if so are you happy with them?

I have some new, but similar, additions to my headphone collection that I thought might be of interest.
Both of which I really like.

• DT880 Pro 32 Ohm. I have the 250ohm versions already, which are good, but you need to be able to drive them well. This new 32ohm version I’ve got is way less fussy on it’s amp supply… they’re loud. Anyone familiar with the 250ohm version will feel at home with them, but they are slightly less detailed sound wise… I think these would make a great all-rounder set for anyone who doesn’t need the spill control of closed backs. I wouldn’t have a problem tracking or mixing with these, and they’re great for general listening too.

• DT700 Pro X. I’m really liking the sound of these. I got them as a closed back partner pair to the DT900 Pro X’s I’ve been using, and liking. They feel/sound slightly MORE closed than my DT770’s, but they have much better (lower and tighter) bass response.
    I really like the mini-XLR connectors and the 2 different length cables they come with is good touch. They’re pretty sweet overall… even though I prefer the 880’s tbh.

1 Like

Hey ya’ll, Sennheiser cans are dead to me, I made the mistake of buying a set of bluetooth ones after they sold off their business to some hearing aid conglomerate who doesn’t give two shits about build quality or firmware.

What’s the best mid-grade bluetooth set that maybe isn’t full studio use or super flat, but good enough to blot out the world and stream music while working?

Recommended by quite a few folks over here, I have the Sony WH-1000XM4, really happy with them. The active noise cancellation is great, and they sound good.

3 Likes

Cool! As much as Sony can frustrate me with design decisions forcing proprietary standards or media vertical integrations they haven’t screwed me repeatedly in the “prosumer” space so I’ll give it a shot!

1 Like

Just got my Audeze LCD-X from Thomann. Question. Do you use it Sonarworks SoundID or without? I’m doing kind of techno stuff… just thinking should I fix that drop which I guess is known for LCD-X. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I use sonarworks with all my headphones.

1 Like

Does anyone have a favorite IEM style set they like for sleeping?
I’m a side sleeper, I like something that I won’t notice when my ear is against the pillow. Something very low profile? I don’t need world class sound for these. Bluetooth probably makes the most sense.

I seem to fall asleep fastest listening to dialog. My wife, not so much…

My AirPods Pro fall seem to emit a noise when I they are pressed directly against the pillow. I guess the tech expects at least a few mm of air…. They also fall out after I fall asleep. This is just a hassle when I have to find them in the morning. Maybe a pair that’s connected by a wire?

Maybe try looking into bone conduction headphones?

I was just thinking about that!
I’ll have to test when I can.

anyone use “Shokz” for sleeping?
Looks like they have lumps right next to your ears that could potentially be irritating with pressure from side sleeping.

Bone conduction headphones aren’t good for sleeping or even reclining against a pillow or headrest. The headband gets in the way.

Older Etymotics - like the long out of production ER6 work very nicely with pillows since the drivers fit almost entirely inside your ear canal. But Etymotic has moved towards a much longer protruding design since then.

2 Likes

Not something I like to do, but if it were me I’d be looking at a moulded pair like this -

That’s a last resort.
Probably won’t go there ever.

akg 712 are the best hp since 3-4 years 4me:
-very light weight, they never press unpleasent
-very linear sound
-good for mastering
-sometimes without hp amp not loud enough

also bought the olloaudio hp
-also fantastic linear sound
-more isolated, good for details, but not so suitable to wear it 6 hours or so.
don’t know there are possebilities for some finetuning
-loud enough without hp amp

1 Like

Have a look at the Roberts Pillow Talk… you can get them surprisingly loud without disturbing your partner, and it’s way more comfortable than using in ears.

1 Like

I’m seeing a lot of audeze older models hit the used market these days, is everyone trying to upgrade to the L5?

That or the MM-500. The MM-500 is a noticeable upgrade

1 Like

gotta check those out