Have you given up on being successful?

Sure anyone can put their music out there now, and that is great, more so on platforms like Bandcamp though rather than YT - YT still has the same mechanisms of old, push the mass appeal stuff and bury anything interesting/too different in (relative) obscurity, because ad revenue. IMHO.

To the first point would you have bought their music had it not been on youtube and you had heard it elsewhere? If so then YT is irrelevant in that decision, if not then you bought it for reasons other than simply liking it, presumably because you like their tutorials or whatever. To the second point there are scenes everywhere, like this forum and other forums, YT isn’t the monopoly on supporting a scene you like or participating in a community.

Please know I am not criticising your decisions, but just saying about how I make mine, specifically the part about perspective as a consumer of music, I don’t actively avoid synth youtuber music, but it is not generally my cup of tea.

Surrender doesn’t mean you’re done.
It means you’re free.

2 Likes

I consider myself successful. I’ve DJ’d for small crowds here and there. They enjoyed the music, danced and had a great party. I played my own tracks some of the time. I have a house, pets, three-ish jobs (most of which I’m using my degrees for), a life partner (and on occasion additional partners), friends, family. The little time I get to spend on music just isn’t enough for much more musical success, but I’ve got all kinds of other success. Playing with beats and mixing records is relaxation for me.

Point being, maybe you’ll have to adjust your definition. We all know it isn’t all about talent, you need that for sure, but luck, connections, figuring out how to live while you dedicate yourself completely to becoming a success which needs to include more than making music. Sitting in a room making music and uploading it is great, but you are unlikely to be on Fresh Air and Letterman in the same week doing that alone.

1 Like

YouTube musicians are a joke

1 Like

Yo hawking gear on a social media platform owned by Google for a living isn’t very punk rock…

1 Like

Haven’t you read Maximum Rock n Roll recently?! DIY now stands for Do It on YouTube!

1 Like

:rofl: I wondered if someone was going to scoff at that. I can see their perspective about the community vibe though.

Even with another main channel that had 150k subs? I’d be disappointed with that conversion rate (15:1)

But maybe he chooses not too promote or link his music channel on his main channel though, don’t know I don’t watch his channel. I’m not knocking the guy either, just saying that he obviously knows that there is more money to be made doing content than putting music on YT.

1 Like

I really love your aesthetic intuition @Fin25 you’re a succes to me

1 Like

Did we tell you the name of the game… boy… we call it riding the gravy traiiiiineeeeaahh

This makes me want to start an Anthology of quotes from Elektronauts.

3 Likes

I personally have never had a goal of succes in music to begin with. I imagine it takes a lot of dedication to practicalities like touring mad schedules that would not make me happy. Apart from if I could achieve it, it’s not what I want at all, living on airplanes and out of suitcases.

I’m really happy I’m talented enough to enjoy making music. Full stop.

1 Like

Great idea! There should be a “Thread of Wisdom”

1 Like

I use YouTube exclusively to stay in touch with the Dr. Steve Brule community.

I bookmark so many things here.

No.

In my old age I have become a burning furnace of ambition.

2 Likes

It feels like that actually :sweat_smile:

Reminded me to bump this old thread.

What can I say, really?

I wonder if that guy from U2 ever successfully learned how to play bass 🥸

2 Likes