Have you given up on being successful?

But, are many influencers actually seen as respected musicians, or seen as successful as musicians even by a demographic that we likely don’t fall under? I can’t even bring myself to listen to the music of someone who has made a name out of reviewing gear but I do listen to music by arguably successful musicians who are of the same generation.

Probably by some, but not all. However by their own measure they might see themselves as successful, monetarily or otherwise.

But yeah, I can think of very few youtubers whose music I’d listen to, and none whose music I’d buy so far at least.

3 Likes

YouTube influencers to me have the same stigma of a fine artist trying to sell their art on Etsy.

I don’t judge, but the kind of music I like isn’t the kind of music they make, simple as that. No doubt some of them are very talented, but most are also very mainstream, because that is what gets the clicks.

1 Like

Sorry if this sounds too much like an inspirational cat poster… but here goes…

Find something you love to do and do it. Learn as much as you can, find some like-minded people who share your interests and collaborate and make things happen. If you want gigs, put on some events. If you want to release music, start a label. Every major scene started with a few people making things up as they went along. If all you do is create a small scene locally and build a small community and share some great experiences along the way, count that as a success. Stick to your vision, be inclusive and collaborative, ask for help when you need it, and pay it forward when you can. Along the way, enjoy the journey and be grateful for all that you have. Success can be the journey as well as the destination.

4 Likes

But aren’t those things pretty much intertwined? For me, a person’s motivation to express themself even if I might not know what it is, is an important part of what makes me want to listen to them.

I know record labels don’t have much influence these days but for example lets say Warped (I haven’t a clue if people still care about Warp anymore) is looking for new talent, I think they wouldn’t even consider signing an artist that spends half their time hawking gear, in the same way that a gallery wouldn’t consider representing someone trying to sell their art on Etsy.

I did 15 assorted shots at a bar in the Phillipines a long time ago. Woke up in the sea.
There are reasons I don’t drink anymore.

5 Likes

I have been victim of many free bars in my time and sadly think I’ll never learn my lesson

1 Like

I have a friend in his 50s who has a clothing line that is somewhat successful who gives me a similar pep talk, about finding your tribe, etc., and I do find that helpful. The world has all these factions, and the world is full of a lot of people so, it’s not a stretch to think that you can be successful (in a financial way even) from something which might have a limited audience as that audience could be a few hundred thousand people (speaking of music), even if that number is small compared to the global population. I think with how the music business, etc., has changed their are ways to do what you love and make money, but you need to do something a bit extra, and maybe that bit extra is just another layer of creativity.

2 Likes

Hmm, I guess sometimes it comes from them realising where there biggest audience is, same guy one gear channel, one music channel.

image image

3 Likes

I think a lot of famous artists split the difference. Make stuff for themselves half of the time and consciously try to make more marketable stuff the rest of the time. I might be exploring that avenue unconsciously … my latest track turned out shamelessly mainstream EDM (for me, anyway).

Though I might revisit it when I get some files from a guitarist friend.

Who needs success when you have musician friends and are productive? I mean, I’d like to live off of this and not be famous… that would be the ultimate for me.

3 Likes

What of Wolfgang Voight? He seems deservedly successful and makes really incredible music. I guess he made most his money from his record label which afforded him the space and means to focus on his art in an uncompromising way.

1 Like

I love the quote by the great Eddie Van Halen;
“Rock stars come and go but musicians play till they die.” or something like that.

Don’t overthink just get after it!

1 Like

I’ve bought music from Hainbach, Jogging House and Jeremy Blake and will likely buy more from all of them in the future. Maybe it’s all in what perspective you have as a consumer of music versus the feeling of participation in a community. I came up in the punk/hardcore music scene and see buying music from artists/influencers via bandcamp as not much removed from buying demos or 7" records from bands that came through town on tour. If anything, I’m a bigger fan of the way the internet and YouTube has democratized the way people can access and consume music as opposed to the obstacles and barriers to entry that existed pre-internet. If “influencer culture” is a side effect of that, it’s acceptable for the other benefits that come with it.

For this example id say righty so

That’s data that could be interpreted in many ways though.

People are on youtube primarily to consume the kind of content Benn puts out on his talking head channel. In fact I’d say 10k subs for a musician that most people have never heard of is pretty damn good. If I hit 10k I’d have far surpassed my notion of success.

Well… that music certainly helps to reenforce my previously stated biases!!!

It’s been wild watching the already wealthy shill worthless, ass-ugly JPEG trading cards and unregistered securities instead of music.

Anyhoo, I am enjoying artistic contributions to a group as a measure of moderate success, I am less successful at trying to stir up local musical collaborations. Which I ought to focus on to push myself forward and complete more concepts, seeing as it’s tough to find locals with my interests and aesthetic that’d enjoy sharing the creative process.

I’m not out at clubs or venues these days as often to network or meet new electro-weirdos, which does put a hamper!

1 Like

I gave up (regarding music). No regrets.
Still make music all my spare time

I’ve made a success of being unsuccessful.

4 Likes