Has the pandemic killed the golden age of synths?

Hasn’t / hadn’t even started yet.

The future is bright in certain ways; but also not at all in other ways.

2 Likes

I’m sorry but what is any of this based on?

1 Like

My uncle Clive posted a Facebook live about it, he said Moog have only sold one prophet 5 all year.

Makes you think…

8 Likes

And he should know, he touched a Korg Synthi once.

Both of them

1 Like

The golden age of synth died shortly after this video was made

7 Likes

The high peak of Synth.

1 Like

man, I was writing nearly the exact same thing, then deleted it

1 Like

That leap/stab combo at 0.37…

It’s like the synth version of the sax solo in my lovely horse…

2 Likes

He’s a true wizard.

1 Like

It’s the opposite, used gear prices, especially pedals have gone up a lot since people have so much money to spend. The pandemic was a boon to music gear manufacturers.

1 Like

This worth a meme in the music meme thread.

1 Like

Did you add the Elektron Syntakt yet? :yum:

1 Like

I keep seeing this thread and thinking “The Golden Age of Wireless”, which tells you about how old I am

1 Like

Sales went up because non-touring musicians and those new to music spent all their time at home.

Instruments are getting delayed because the people making the parts are restricted by covid, and the shipments of the parts are restricted by covid.

It hasn’t killed anything but hardware industries are suffering from massive logistical / supply chain issues.

I’d be interested if virtual instruments and plugins have seen the same increases.

1 Like

any golden age wouldn’t last forever, because at some point the market gets over-saturated.
so pandemic probably prolonged current golden age, delaying that over-saturation.

1 Like

All we wanted was enough synthesizers to feed the world!

Now look at what we did to synth the nursery!!!
:sob:

2 Likes

can confirm. I have some friends and acquaintances at pedal manufacturers. they saw sales numbers they’d never gotten to before. it’s funny because their numbers explode in the winter every year due to people being shut inside more and working on music/buying new toys. the pandemic was that on crack. people got stimulus payments for one, but they also had less things to go out and do, so more money in their pocket to have fun with.

there’s lots of industries that saw and are still seeing massive sales. same thing happened with backyard pools; prices are through the roof and stock is scarce. and you can wait weeks/pay double the normal price on supplies like chlorine because demand is insane. likewise with outdoor furniture, etc… people are staying home more so they’re making home more enjoyable.

6 Likes

I can confirm.

My wife designs and sells pools for a living. It’s something like 6-9 months between signing the contract and your pool being finished.

1 Like

This seems to be generally true of luxury hobbies.

Outboard motors are all but impossible to buy new, and used outboards are going for crazy prices. My '04 Corolla has probably double in price during the plague, but new cars have gone up even more, in absolute terms. Most boating related stuff is more expensive or just unavailable compared to pre-plague. I’m astonished at the prices my old eurorack and photo gear is commanding, so I’m digging through my old stuff and listing everything I don’t need right now.

My guess is that the underlying cause is severely limited vacation travel for everyone combined with office workers who are now working from home and just aren’t that busy.