Hardwares don't require menu diving during the jam

I started a thread discussing workflow that requires menu diving on a small screen is like using computers

Here I would like to explore hardware options that don’t require menu diving during the jam/performance/production.

Please skip all modular and semi-modular devices as we all know they mostly don’t have a screen, thanks.

Devices could have a screen but only for parameter value/program number during the jam/performance/production. Or Menu diving only happens before the music starts.

I start first with the devices I like

1, Novation Circuit series, no screen no menu diving, here is an OG Circuit

2, Sonicware Liven series, no menu diving screen for 4 digit value only, here is a 8bit warps

Can’t wait to see more suggestions!

2 Likes

Off topic but is it ok to secretly love menu diving on hardware devices?
(Sometimes I wish there were a few extra sub pages…)

even further off topic

i tried to play on words maso-synthe-chist thinking “masochist” maybe latin combo of maso-chist and wanted to know what maso meant, but no, not latin. ended up here and learnt something new and interesting, that you might enjoy, or might waste your time.
Leopold von Sacher-Masoch - Wikipedia

5 Likes

Feel free to discuss on my other thread to express you love to menu diving when the music is flowing.

Roland SH 01a. Or just any other knobby hardware synth really. But this one has an interface that perfectly balances option and limitation. And the sound is just so damn nice.

To just get something going, Elektrons are great. No menu diving if you know you can change those sounds later on.

1 Like

Nice, any good video to showcase this device?

Polyend Play has a lot of knobs and not much menu diving. Each knob controls 2 parameters and the workflow is pretty fast and fun.

2 Likes

Thanks for the details. As long as the the menu diving not hurting the music flow that’s a workable device to me.

YT recommended this video and I found this Yamaha RM1X Groovebox interface seems an excellent example of a fully hand-on control along with a small screen with NO menu diving/digging.

It has 4 knobs each pairs with a function key to directly control I guess 8 parameters on the little screen. And the most funny part is, the “menu” is “printed” on the right hand side of the box.

Seems this menu design doesn’t require menu diving as there is only 1 layer per subgroup and each subgroup has its own dedicated button. It’s an old box and not in production but the interface design is fairly cool imo.

Hope you enjoy these boxes with well designed interface that help avoiding/reducing menu diving when the music is flowing and make better hardware purchasing decision.

1 Like

It’s based on the Roland SH 101, you’ll find loads of videos on it. I’d suggest this one for starters:

It’s not a groovebox though, only a synth. It has an interesting 100 step sequencer and an arp though, some people can make a lot with that.

1 Like

At the risk of sounding like a broken record. The Microfreak. Just add a decent reverb, or as here the excellent and versatile zoom ms-70cdr

1 Like

Thanks I watched it and I like the inferface. Good stuff! I personally prefer faders over knobs. Just there is no controller on the market with enough faders :joy:

1 Like

It’s hard to beat Microfreak at it’s price point. “If” I go hardware Microfreak is my choice too.

…i played/performed quite many shows with the ot and some various but always limited external gear attached to it and i can clearly state, if u know ur shit, prepped it right and rehearsed a little, u can fly pretty hi, stick to any plan while but also always stay free to totally improvise, while never loosing oversight, never getting lost in menus, just twiddleling knobs, do some famous swedish klak klak zak zak workflow, enjoy and stay in THE moment and just whiggle ur ass off…

nothing’s more boring/unsexy than “electronic LIVE acts” that come across like reading emails on stage, looking stressed out…

2 Likes

Well said. I believe knowing the gear inside out helps.

What I prompt is first principle approach. Kill the problem from the beginning instead of overcome/fix it afterwards.

Sure no one can well planned as god, but to certain extend, most issues can be prevented imo.

…end of all days, electronic hardware with no menu diving, truuly LIVE is nothing but a looper, interacted by a human beeing…
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/KDPLm4_ExZA

What i really like about gear with a lot of dedicated knobs:
You can tweak 2 parameters at once. You can do this with a menu system with several knobs per page but if the 2 parameters are on different pages you can’t.

It’s a different level of exploring or playing a synth/groovebox/drum machine if you can freely tweak around knobs and listen to what comes out. With menu’s, even if it’s a flat page system you still have to think what to do next.

The DT for example is very hands on but i still have to switch pages to control filter cutoff and lfo speed.

Nice thing about Elektron devices is that they tend to have pretty comprehensive MIDI CC control implementation. Get a MIDI controller or two with a bunch of faders + knobs and suddenly you’re able to spread out some of the system and get immediate access to things.

2 Likes

Very true. That’s why i have 2 midi controllers hooked up to the DT. Such a different experience.

1 Like

Of course Perkons needs to be mentioned here.

And yeah certainly the digi sized Elektrons. But during performance any of the Elektrons can be a total flow machine.

4 Likes
  • Vermona PERfourMER
  • UDO Super 6 or Super Gemini
  • miniKORG 700FS
3 Likes