Hardware fun vs. DAW productivity

not in case of these new online services.
you put in a lot of time & money to do proper studio recordings of your stuff, and what you get back is within the margin of measurement error. that’s how industry now works, and that’s what i was talking about.
before 2008, when music was sold on conventional media, it was not that bad. anyway, smaller labels just did not survive the great recession after 2008 financial crisis, so it became what it is now.

as a conclusion for myself, i build my project as live-oriented from the start. after all, music is about performing, and it does not really need all that overproduction that is common nowadays.

i know enough :wink: 80% of my thoughts about optimal production cycle were originally taken from his interviews and then contemplated in the context of electronic music.

i just wonder where industry became better for artists. because what i see with my own eyes is clearly not.

and regarding DAW-based vs DAWless rig question:
DAW-based setup is more convenient for travelling beacuse of less volume & weight. so, it’s not surprising when artists who’s touring a lot use DAW-based rigs. (convicing myself to start saving money for Pyramid.)

1 Like

Ya thats not quite what i meant. Making the music is half of it, getting out, playing live, connecting with people and getting a following is the rest. Lots of werk.

1 Like

oh, yes. totally agree.

I worked in clubs for a long time and so I talked a lot to bands (punk/hardcore, stoner, metal, blues, garage punk etc.) and the consensus was that it’s better for them now.

Services like Bandcamp skips the label completely.They built their following through hard touring, even if that means to play in front of 10 people.

1 Like

I’m thankful I can still make a living playing music, but there’s no way I’d say it’s better now. There was a time when good enough royalty check could mean a new car or a solid down payment on a house. I’m the past 10 years it’s a fraction of that.
The good news about how things work now is anyone can put out a record. It’s also the bad news in a whole lot of cases

Good news is theres more music out there.
The bad news is…theres more music out there.

2 Likes

so, it’s more & more difficult to fing something worth among new releases. because the number of good releases grows arithmetically, but the overall number grows exponentially.

1 Like

a problem is that soundcloud and youtube are oversaturated with demos, often not serious efforts

But who am I to judge…

3 Likes

And too many self made “labels”
aka bandcamp page :confused:

[topic derailing?]

1 Like

yes, but no problem for me… I guess the mods will move it soon :wink:

«Girl, the mods will move it soon».
nice idea to cover «Girl, you’ll be a woman soon».

2 Likes

Well, basically being a musician went back to where it was before recording was invented. Playing live for the audience and getting paid.

1 Like

or not :sob:

2 Likes

actually, it’s at least not bad.

i always percieved gigs, where musician interacts with the living audience, like sex, and studio job, where musician interacts mainly with own imagination, like a handjob.

between live and studio recordings, i often prefer live, with all their imperfection, and even poor quality. just because they are more energetic.

but… i suspect most people on electronic scene would disagree with me.

1 Like

Babylon. Whoo. Alright.

Then choose your promoters wisely…

One word. Itunes. The death of music!

I don’t mind really, it’s not a job for me. I choose wisely the ones that won’t bother me :grin:

1 Like

HA…a lawyer you are not :slight_smile:
“Judge…i submit my client is not guilty…i cant tell you why…you must find out for yourself”

Gut feeling or your own perspective does not count as evidence. If you present and arguemnet you must be the one to provide the details for your case.

So i will disregard your opinion until further details are provided.

Better yet…the internet.

Audio galaxy and napster kicked of the death crawl.
Itunes, soundcloud, bandcamp et-al continue the crawl.