Hardware fun vs. DAW productivity

Sad to say that you must do something wrong then :wink: Cant you monetize your Videos? Does your Channel not meet the requirements yet? I heard that YT changed something in the past in that regard …

Yeah, well YouTube is a window shop for sure, and it’s not the least bit interesting to me. If I see another video of someone reviewing a music product or playing a dub techno set live turning knobs in their studio I’ll grow moss on my head.

One wonderful consequence of the saturation of music in today’s world (which I totally agree on) is that live music is worth more. That’s where the future is, local experiences IRL! With music, visuals and decor, and other people! Or, as someone wise said, all you need is a basement, a red light and a feeling. Well, until we all download our souls on to a usb drive and live in VR that is…

2 Likes

obviously :slightly_smiling_face:

i hope not USB.
USB protocol was not designed with a human soul or even MIDI/audio streaming in mind, so despite its ubiquity, it’s just horrible inside. i don’t want jitter issues with my soul :alien:

4 Likes

First time i heard of Hemingway method. It forces you to get better at the original idea and in the process find new ideass. Mind is blown right now.

1 Like

Why do you need to monetize. Its so lame. ADs are bs.

Ive turned ADs off on my youtube thang.
Do it for fun not for fame.

13 Likes

yeah that’s cool.
none of my elektrons have individual outs, and I tried to avoid a mixer.
I have individual outs on my A4 via OB. Once it works for the DN I only have to record the OT tracks individually. Will save a lot of time.

Post of the month!!!

1 Like

Its most definitely a great option, for sure! Pre YT-Times it was probably also the only option to get known i assume. But im not sure.

Either way: Getting the Stage in a Night Club to perform and interact with the Crowd is not that easy - at least its not here in Germany - and im almost sure its not that easy in other countries as well. If the Clubs dont offer applications for Indie Producers / DJs to perform for a specific Event, they most likely dont book you just because you ask them for :slight_smile: And even if they do, you would still have to show them what you do and what you are capable of. And which platform is most likely best suited to showcase this? Right: Youtube :slight_smile: Here we go. Circle closed :smiley:

4 Likes

Steve Albini has a really interesting take on this. If you’ve never read it, his piece on the music industry from back in the 1990s is legendary. Well worth the read, now more for historical reference.

https://www.negativland.com/news/?page_id=17

He has revisited his thoughts on the subject and the changes in the music industry in recent years, and believes the system is much better now for artists. Whether or not you agree with him, it is still worth a listen IMO.

4 Likes

LOL.
as i can see, in last 10 years it became even better for publishers and even worse for musicians (except for mega stars).
with all these fancy online music services, don’t even think your costs of recording are going to be paid off in any form, if you’re not a mega star already. so, the bottom line is: new monopolists are significantly worse than old, if we compare, say, with 90s.
well, Steve Albini looks at industry as a person who works with mega stars, so of course he’s right from his point of view.

Who cares. Theres always been a shitload of musicians. You just get to know about all of them now because of the net.
Its just as hard or as easy as it has always been for musicians.
So, you have more chance of getting heard now than before, but on the opposite side of the coin you have more competition.
Bottom line is…it is what it is. You cant change that.
Make music for what ever reason you wanna make music. Spend more time on that than worrying about why things are the way they are, how they were, and how youd like them to be. (You meaning people, not you specifically)
Me…i just wanna make one…ONE tune that i like. THATS IT!

11 Likes

good point.
moreover, i prefer to invest only in myself and my rig.
not in relic things from 70s that don’t work well anymore, e.g. studio recordings :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Listen to his speech before jumping to conclusions. He’s talking from the perspective of a guy playing in bands not on major labels. He’s also well-known for not overcharging bands to record with him:

“ At Electrical Audio in 2004, Albini earned a daily fee of US$750 for engineering work, and drew a salary of US$24,000 a year.”

Even glance at his Wikipedia page. You clearly don’t know much about the guy.

“ Albini is also known for his outspoken views on the music industry, having stated repeatedly that it financially exploits artists and homogenizes their sound. Nearly alone among well-known producers, Albini refuses to take ongoing royalties from album sales, feeling that a producer’s job is to record the music to the band’s desires, and that paying a producer as if they had contributed artistically to an album is unethical.”

6 Likes

Doubtful…gigging still exists. I havent seen a drop in the number of live shows. Infact, i see a lot more shows listed than i used.

Please point me to your evidence.

As ive always read and understood, bands never really made money from record sales. Cept’ for the Madonnas and U2s. The label does.
Bands made money gigging and selling merch. This online sales crap is new. And if you dont make money that way, thats no surprise. No one ever really does. Theres millions of people doing it. And its lazy as hell. You get out what ypu put in. No following gained from an online presence, unless your some 7 year old opening toys on youtube (1 in MILLIONS, might as well be Madonna).

Get out, play live, sell shitty t-shirts and get followers. Earn the money. Or just post shit online with the other millions.

Again, you get out what you put in.

5 Likes

Wondering about modular lately too in this regard

Really feel like modular is the flavour of choice for the last decade. And in an unspoken way it’s sort of the current ‘legitimate’ as far as compositional and performance tools go

On the one hand modular is quite experimental, offering tactile and variable ways to explore sound. On the other hand, I’ve often seen artists with huge setups begin to compose ‘music’ on modular setups. Sometimes, that music is amazing. Other times, it barely encroached on the kind of accomplished work one could compose with a daw or perhaps a suite of all-in-one hardware devices.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, modular seems to be the legit way to explore electronics these days. A DAW is pretty much looked down upon. I can think of times where I’ve been at gigs and peers have mentioned the artist was ‘only’ using Ableton. As if patches written in Max or something were more legitimate. But I can remember when everyone being behind a laptop was the coolest thing you could do on stage, it was only once everyone started to tire of that kindve static performance that a tactility seemed to be demanded, but I honestly can’t see much difference between being hunched behind a modular rack or laptop, but it obviously does give an audience something more to hinge on. Still, I dig how artists such as autechre buck the trend and still stick behind a laptop and serve out their sets in the dark

also you feel like modular is part of some gnarlier culture of buy sell swap. the latest modules. soap boxing things. whereas a DAW is a pretty unglamorous and meek way to make tunes imo.

I think hardware boxes are a nice middle ground, but materialism can easily creep in their too.

a lot to be said for just making tunes on a lappy, and an instrument or midi controller Or two, maybe output to a desk for some physicality

I dunno though I kinda love minimalism / less is more etc

It’s amazing what you can do with 4 or 5 tracks

1 Like

MBM use ableton live…live :slight_smile:
Ae use max live

Two of the best live shows ive been to.

2 Likes

I’m old, who’s MBM?

Meat Beat Manifesto comes to mind.

And I too am old, as is Jack Dangers.

And yeah, to anyone here talking trash about Albini without knowing his work, all I can say is: shame! You need to go listen to Big Black.

1 Like

Im older… :wink: im pretty sure :sob:

Meat Beat Manifesto. They actually started up in the late 80’s…saw them open for 808state in 1988…good then, good now.

They run their set in ableton. Audio and the video as well. A tweaked version for the video.

2 Likes