Hardware for DnB

Portable tracker device.

8 Likes

Something from the Virus series for leads, twisted bass lines/mid range sounds, pads…then do everything else in a top tier sampler.

Or honestly…use Serum but feed sounds into a sampler if you want to work w hardware. You’ll spend a lot of time and money getting DnB synth patches from hardware

1 Like

I really like both of these tunes! I’m enjoying the whole album on bandcamp actually!

Could you describe a bit how you got so much movement in the bass patch? I have a similar synthesizer (the Microwave XT actually), and I have been struggling a bit to get something so “alive” sounding out of it. Any hints or patch detials you might have would be very appreciated :slight_smile: cheers!

1 Like
6 Likes

An ARmkii using the tempo loop trick works really well for DnB. 2 of the middle tracks for tempo locked breaks, i have about 10 loops created in a DAW and after the beat is programmed into the ARMKII you can use the scenes to change the perc and and break samples for interesting variations

Track 1 kick
Track 2 high pitched snare
Track 3 dual vco synth part A
Track 4 clap
Track 5 sub bas sine wave sample
Track 6 4 bar break sample tempo sycd
Track 7 4 bar percussion sample tempo
Track 8 vocal sample
Track 9 closed hh
Track 10 ohh
Track 11 ride
Track 12 crash

5 Likes

Thanks a lot for your kind words :slight_smile:
I don’t remember exactly, I have to take the Blofeld out of its box and check.
As far as I can remember, I created one patch, then created 2 or 3 variations of this patch, and use them through the track in multimode.

I’ll have a look on this more deeply as soon as I can, and will come back soon to explain.

4 Likes

PERFECT!
great stuff there

Thank you!!

My recent release had some DnB influence. Used M8 tracker for sequencing and Squid Salmple as the main sound source, Waldorf M sampled in for stabs and pads. It’s the type of thing I probably could have done on M8 alone but I sort of wanted a modern version of the amiga + rack sampler workflow and that is what I came up with. I did sort of skip out on the bass part of the DnB though. :joy:

2 Likes

Back in the day (20+ years ago) the E-MU E4 series was what the top guys were using. We had two of them. The z-plane filters and insane modulation matrix were the special sauce.

Also a Sherman Filterbank (v1) was our go-to to mess anything up in the analog realm. And the Studio Electronics SE-1 for basses (Stakka&Skynet clued us in to that…)

6 Likes

Sorry for late answer, couldn’t go back to my Blofeld yet, but another D&B topic made me remember I have to check it to answer you.
From memory, for the bass patches on Blofeld I used 3 osc, 2 are wavetables.
A lfo modulates one or two wavetables, don’t remember exactly.
I use 2 filters : one LP modulated by lfo, the other one is bandpass modulated by a different lfo for different speed. This brings slow movement, looks like a bit like flanger.
I also use filter distortion on LP filter, and if I remember well, a fm modulation on this filter, to make it “yell”.
On the fx side I used chorus.
I definitely have to take my Blofeld out of its box to check for better details.

2 Likes

Whenever you have time it would be great the details. Thanks a lot! Your stuff rules!

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your words :slight_smile:

I’ve made a few dnb tracks, mainly with the machinedrum for drums, because you can tweak and modulate the mix so well to create breaky styled glitch sounds. The synths in that example coming from the Digitone and the Minilogue XD:

8 Likes

Real nice vibe here, remembers me some Klute’s tracks

1 Like

sounds great :fire:

Nice work :+1: