Hardware for DnB

Hi guys! I was wondering what hardware do you see fit for DnB production.
It would be also nice to discuss “how to” topics on this thread.
Thanks!

(The thread wants to be about what each uses for hardware DnB production and eventually with some audio/video examples… and also what everyone thinks he/she needs to make even better DnB production… better tools…etc.)

1 Like

It really depends what dnb sound you’re searching for, there’s old styles like Techstep where an emu sampler and old Mackie desk will get you there nicely but the modern hyper-modulated and processed stuff might be easier in the box entirely.

I’m a hardware fan though so very interested in this thread.

For me personally, I always loved the sound of a sampled mono synth being twisted up inside an Emu along with the nice saturation from driving the emu outputs hard and then desk gain. My ‘secret’ weapon is some Feedback Pre Cr eurorack modules… Gets that desk gain without the hiss from a full mixer and there really isn’t anything like that sound.

10 Likes

from 2010 to 96

3 Likes

Polyend tracker for sequencing, though you might want to pair it up with a sampler with a bit more RAM for chopping up breaks. Or just get one of the MPCs if you like the interface.

Something like a Hydrasynth might be good for lead sounds, as it has a fuckload of modulation options.

Yeah, probably like and MPC Live 2 and a Hydrasynth might be all you’d need.

5 Likes

Or go leftfield - Pioneer Toraiz SP-16 and Pioneer Toraiz AS-1. Chop breaks in the SP-16. Sample notes from the AS-1 to make fat chords. Boom.

2 Likes

Amiga 500.

6 Likes

MPC Live/2 or MPC One and I’ve seen people use the Digitakt and Octatrack too.

1 Like

two favorites, two very different techniques:

8 Likes

Modwave, Digitone? …for those basses

Yeah, they’d work too.

Was just thinking hydrasynth cos it has 5 LFOs and 5 envelopes, so can get you those mad DnB lead sounds.

1 Like

I’ll just add that I tried the whole emu sampler workflow and there’s a reason people that used to do that stuff just use daws now.

Sound is good, but not magical. Can emulate mostly with TAL sampler for the lofi qualities and soundtoys filterfreak can do most of the filtering/saturation stuff on basses you might need - it’s variable distortion algos are almost better than decapitator in some uses I think.

But mostly just using a daw and resampling everything is the way. Pick good samples. And simpler is better

1 Like

I recently sold my Virus but I think it is still king (outside of sampling) for hardware reeses.

For example (not my soundpack):

3 Likes

The same letter and number I reply with in most threads.

M8

6 Likes

? Whai is that

I think the most important aspect of this is whats your budget, you can make dnb on pretty much anything if you really want to, I’ve made dnb tracks on everything from a novation circuit up to Ableton and loads of kit in-between like maschine and mpcs etc… it’s all totally doable within the constraints of your budget and whatever device you choose…

5 Likes

I think it’s more difficult if not impossible to make complex neurobass and other similar type of sounds on machines with not enough features for that: like Model D vs Digitone as an example…
The thread is more about what each uses for hardware DnB production and eventually with some audio/video examples… and also what everyone thinks he/she needs to make even better DnB production… better tools…etc. :slight_smile:

Virus tends to be apart from expensive, kind of muffled in frequencies and hard to insert in the mix.
So you guys also said Hydrasynth, Mpc…
I wonder if a fm synth (like DN) or wavetable synth (like Modwave) can make those neorobasses and complex leads… even a Nord Lead 4?

Last year I made 2 DnB tracks. These are not modern sounding DnB, but this is the kind of DnB I like to make.
I used:

• Deluge for sequencing, drums duties, sampling other machines, playing various fx samples, and playing few ambient synths on both
  • Blofeld for distorted bass on both
  • Micromonsta 2 for kindof acid sounds on both, and hoover on Corrupt.sys
  • Wavestate for epic orchestral pads on Unstable and I sampled multiple presets on Corrupt.sys for some other sounds
  • I sampled Mc101 for some mid lead on Unstable, and sequenced it on Corrupt.sys for trancy sounds, some pads, and distorded guitar sounds.

Both tracks are played live.
Blofeld audio going in Deluge audio input, Deluge and other machines audio go in Bluebox mixer.

Unstable has been mixed & mastered by a friend of me, Corrupt.sys is recorded raw.

I really would like to have more time to make more DnB but I don’t, and I can’t stay focus on DnB only, and lose myself in many styles of music :smiley:

17 Likes

Korg EMX1 for jump up/ ravey type DnB.

OT/Tracker/MPC for anything involving breaks.

1 Like

Yup. That’s a solid choice for sure. Break sequencing works great on an M8 Tracker