Hania Rani & Machinedrum

I just saw Hania Rani in Seattle. It appears she’s using a Machinedrum on tour.

12 Likes

If you want to know more about her setup there is a nice interview on Headphone Commute:

6 Likes

Here’s a liveset where she’s using a Machinedrum. I listened to parts of it some time ago and I’d say the MD is used in a very subtle way here, which was probably expected in this kind of music. Still, always nice to spot the MD in the wild. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

That was a great listen… I’ve always enjoyed her work!

2 Likes

I agree, a very subtle use of the MD. I saw her two weeks ago in Montreal. Great show, great performance, a shy and funny presence on stage. She invited a special guest that night, Patrick Watson. They performed back to back. It was a magical moment.

4 Likes

Saw her last night in San Francisco. Several portions felt similar to seeing James Blake live.

I saw her in Luxembourg a couple months ago, and I agree with the subtle use of MD, but maybe it’s just what she needs for her music. I remembered one track a bit glitchy from the subtle drum side, and another one remembering Christian Loffler’s music (kind of deep minimal techno). So I think MD could fit good in those context.

1 Like

Hey there… what could be these two boxes in front?

Greets!

Black Hole Symmetry and Nocturnal
from Collision Devices

6 Likes

She was using MD at the start of her new NPR Tiny Desk concert as well:

8 Likes

Want to try to recreate the drum sounds from the first song (thin line) on my ARmk2. Any idea how the cymbal/hat/shaker thingy is done?

As an acoustic instrument player i totally love her style and musical compositions/soundscape. I had also noticed the use of MD in her compositions so it’s good she found her way into the nauts.
Hope she continues developing her style.

1 Like

Thanks for this link, great performance.

1 Like

I would put my money on a sample, actually. Some cabasa or even jazz brushes pattern looped.