Hanging notes?

Welcome to the forum! That’s good to know. Definitely confirmed as a bug (by Elektron themselves), but I’m all for trying this as a workaround until a fix is in place :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m losing hope… :disappointed_relieved:
Why does it take so long ?
Do you really think they will actually fix this issue ?

Just to be clear, I’ve never had hanging notes when using the internal sequencer (not sure about other people), just when feeding it Midi via Overbridge. So you should be fine to go ahead :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I can confirm I’ve not had any problems using the digitones built in sequencer stand-alone or clocked from ableton (the main way i planned to use it from the start). There are better synths if you’re sequencing externally

I also wish they’d forget about overbridge but I think they’ve made too many promises in that regard and expectations are too high

1 Like

Awesome. Hydra looks cool. Enjoy that!

I didn’t realise you wanted to sequence in Ableton as well. And I’ve got to say there’s no advantage in sequencing DN from DT to be honest. The only reason I use OT to sequence DN sometimes is because of its crazy random midi arp!

1 Like

Yes I know, but its actually nice to use the Digitakt as main brain so to speak. The Master of everything. :slight_smile:

It’s why I bought it, because of the 8 midi tracks, next to the 8 audio tracks.

But lets hope Elektron gets their act together soon and start fixing the issues with their hardware, as the Digitakt also has some annoying bugs that needs to be squashed.

The first note skipping bug is plagueing the Digitakt for 2 years now and still not fixed.

2 Likes

If the internal sequencer is used, no problem.

But if you want to use the Digitone as an external synth, you may encounter this hanging note issue, as shown there :

It’s because the Digitone doesn’t understand the basic MIDI CC #123 “All notes off”.

All the sequencers using this CC when muting a MIDI part won’t be compatible with the Digitone. So, if you wanna use the Digitone with an external sequencer, be sure this sequencer doesn’t use the CC123.

An update of the Digitone would make it compatible with ALL the sequencers, but I don’t know if Elektron will finally fix this problem…

2 Likes

does shifting the first trig not werk for you?

Right…not what I asked. I asked if shifting the first trig (of each track) was not fixing the missed first trig.

Also try removing the midi cable and see if the hung notes stops. You might have conflicting settings. If disconnecting midi helps with hung notes, then perhaps some midi filtering and organization of settings is in order

I don’t get hung notes. And if I miss the first note in start, I nudge. Sometimes it just Logic being in the wrong playback setting.

Dang, when it’s broken down to be such a simple problem like you show it really is infuriating that this issue exists at all. Is CC #123 used for something else on DN? What’s the logic behind leaving this command out?

That’s not the only issue - there is also an intermittent problem of hanging notes when the digitone is sequenced from ableton via usb (I don’t know if this happens with other sequencers or via actual midi)

Hmm, I’m assuming Ableton respects the standard implementation of CC #123 all notes off, so essentially it’s the same problem, as far as I can tell :woman_shrugging:

Not as far as i understand it, I’m talking about individual note offs. All notes off is only important when using midi mutes surely?

1 Like

BTW I should mention it’s a long time since i tried using the digitone in this way and it seemed to work ok if I didn’t use overbridge (sticking with simple midi over usb)

I have had it happen when I change sounds while a sequence is playing. I’d never do that while recording tho. Just previewing diff sounds during play. Using Logic. I don’t think it’s an Ableton thing.

So… not ideal, but…

I have been working arround this…zero hangs and OB working…I have OB opened on one midi port in FL (port 60) and then I have also enabled the DN as a midi device (send only not recieve) on a seperate port (port 61)…then i have set up 4 midi tracks in FL sending to port 61…I have to add a slight delay (75%) to time align…

This way i can control all parameters and save etc. with the OB plugin, and send midi notes with zero hangs as they are not through the OB plugin…so no hangs with 100% function.

Once it’s fixed all I will have to do is change the 4 midi chanel ports to port 61 and set the midi delay back to zero and all projects will be intact and compatible with the OB plugin…

Another benefit I found is that the DN will record the MIDI from the DAW this way…! So I proceeded to set my A4MKII, ARMKII, DT & DN up this way so I can easily draw midi in the piano roll and copy paste it to any device or the midi out of the DT and DN with a simple control c then control v, and hit record on the Elektron box if I like it…then go to town with the sequence in the Elektron sequencer…

Its a work arround…but it’s no deal breaker by any means working this way…

1 Like

I’m encountering this problem as well, some midi notes recorded via ableton are set to “lenght 128 steps” while they were obv not pressed that long (doesn’t matter if via ext keyboard -> usb -> ableton -> dn or ableton computer keyboard -> dn…

This together with the bug that clears recorded notes once you start live p locking, is quite a heavy amount of bugs to encounter within your first week of using the device. Might have to consider sending it back if there are this many unstabilities

1 Like

Definitely open up a support ticket or two on Elektron.se to make sure these things get to an engineer who can actually do something about them. And maybe avoid OB for now, just because it’s not a finished product yet. We all want to see DN become completely stable as it is just so damn awesome when it behaves.

you’re absolutely right. Just requested my support ticket tonight, so still have hopes :slight_smile: It’s definitely an awesome machine when it does work. Not using overbridge at all by the way! Just a Motu MIDI Express 128 to the dn’s MIDI in, don’t think anything weird should occur there.

1 Like

Ah nice one. I assumed OB because Ableton was involved. It is odd behaviour for sure. I get hanging notes all the time with a guitar midi pickup but I thought it was because of using OB. Sounds like all external midi is mishandled in some strange way :pensive: