Handsomeaudio Zulu

First demo. This was a seven bar loop i built in live. EPS sample had a loop going on at 14.9 x 6.25 into Xdesk and into zulu. After 7 bars I turn the Enhancer knob slightly. Lo-fi tape mode, Low headroom Bias moved up one click.

1 Like

Cool, hard to hear the subtleties on my shitty iPad at the moment but can hear the snare gets a nice smack to it as it progresses through :+1:
How are your first impressions?

Overall itā€™s a good subtle machine I will use at the end of the chain. I think for most people using a soundcard to the Zulu and back to the Soubdcard will get most bang for their buck. If you expect this machine to get to extremes like the heat then move along. Now you can make the left side sound like a tascam 4 track while the right side is an Ampex 456. I was just doing extreme case testing and found it to be a well rounded tape emulation.

3 Likes

Sounds pretty cool on that demo, subtle though like you say and volume matching would have made the comparison to dry a little easier.

Do you have a tascam 4-track there/past experience to compare? Just not getting that vibe a lot from the recording you made. Though Iā€™m probably missing hiss/warble etc and the built-up effect of adding it to multiple tracks/bouncing like Iā€™m used to hearing when working on cassette. Guessing used on a bunch of individual tracks + master itā€™d be more apparent/vibey than on a mixed loop.

Do you feel like ā€˜wow, this is tape in a pedal!ā€™ or ā€˜nice, this is another decent tape approximation. A different flavourā€™?

Always wanted a Tascam 4 track. If you want some hiss on the next demo I can do that by raising the bias knob and adjusting the headroom knob too. Next demo Iā€™ll build will have a dry version followed by the Zulu version.

Iā€™m impressed with this box so far. Iā€™m glad I took the gamble with 419 dollars to buy in early. The hi fi mode sounds great to put at the end of a mixdown. With lo fi mode , adding bias, and enhancement it can also be easy enough to overlook your recording. I was doing double hits with the same drum kit I made with demo 01 and double snares were too agressive and eating the other sounds up in the mix with the other sounds in the loop.

Next demo should just have a machinedrum and analog keys as the two instruments lets see what we can do.

2 Likes

Greetings all!
Been a minute. If you would like even more extreme sounds, try using a gain stage like a mic preamp between your DAC and Zulu. Extreme sounds are pretty easy if you lower the Calibration more to MX or TK. Try Deck on Pro, Headroom on Pro or LO. Enhance on 0. If you use the mic pre into Zulu or a line level device, you can go extremely hot into Zulu. Subtle gets left way behind once you start doing that.
Analog Heat and Zulu cover very different applications and territories. Zulu focused primarily on tape and tape electronics, AH focuses on a wide variety of sounds. I actually want an AH :slight_smile:

Spend some more time with Zulu and make sure you push the signal with it even on mixes. Internal components and circuitry are complex and original designs. $750 for a stereo unit is actually quite cheap. This device works exceptionally well during tracking, not just mixing n mastering.

So far the reviews have come back extremely positive and Iā€™ve been extremely busy keeping up with all the new orders!

Iā€™ll link the manual here.

Thanks
-L.

5 Likes

Morning L.

Yea I made a mistake when recording from Zulu to Clarett. The mic preamp line volume was turned down to 0. Once I raised it up I was amazed. This thing breathes life into the stock sounds of Battery 4. You can get thick and you can get warm. Iā€™m still exploring each of the way. I will also be trying from Clarett to Zulu to Xdesk and back to clarett as a recording chain. I can only imagine what I can do with a machinedrum when I set it up.

750 for a stereo unit is affordable considering one portico 542 is 750USā€¦ Two portico 542ā€™s and you are down 1500.

2 Likes

How you feeling on this unit after honeymoon? Still stoked on it?

Yes i still use it at the end of the mixing chain from my SSL. I just did a big amount of vinyl shopping yesterday so I will start to use it for recording. I will also use it as a recording channel for my 2000xl to track into.

Overall this is an everyday box I use into my workflow.

1 Like

:dancer:t6: Zulus are back ! :woman_cartwheeling:t6:

back? how?

I heard there are new versions of the Zulu coming this year, a rack version etcā€¦

Just back in stock :wink:
I would really love one but itā€™s way to pricey for meā€¦ Whatā€™s your source about a new version of it?

Kinda wish I had got in on this during the cheap intro price but tbh the look of the box and the ownerā€™s comments gave me a heavy snake oil vibe. Glad to hear itā€™s the real deal!

2 Likes

IIRC the owner of the company said new form factors are coming this year? probably from a thread @GSā€¦

I havenā€™t used my Zulu box in a while due to desk space in my practice area. The main thing I like about it is turning it to HQ Studer 80 mode with headroom turned up all the way. The enhance knob gives you the ability to saturate your source some more. If you track with the Studer 80 sim and headroom cranked up then you add that ā€œsheenā€ to your recordings.

I am glad I jumped on the early price point though.

2 Likes

Let me know if you grow tired of it !
:tongue:

1 Like

Donā€™t forget you can mount the Atlas AD11 on the bottom to place it on a mic stand!!!
No need to use a table top if you can throw it on a straight stand or a sturdy arm.

Thanks
-L.

1 Like

Guys,
Is anybody owns both Zulu and Heat?

I know they are 100% different things - but I want to buy something for end of the chain a little bit of mastering tool.
Please tell me you thoughts if you have such experience

1 Like