Half my MD triggers stopped working [EDIT: then started again!]

Triggers 7, 8, and 10-16 are suddenly dead on my MD MK2. Their lights don’t like up, and patterns that employ them do not trigger the sounds assigned to them. I’d been running X.08 but reinstalled the last official firmware to see if there was a software issue. Nope.

I assume I need to send it out for repair, but if this sounds like a familiar glitch, with a simple solution that I am somehow missing, lemme know! Otherwise, it’s off to Elektron :neutral_face:

ty gang

Just a basic step here but get into the preboot menu for testing by holding func during power up and one of the trigs should cause those lights to come on, I can’t remember which trig though. If they come on in test mode, probably software related and keep troubleshooting. If they don’t light up in test mode, might be hardware related and probably time to see a priest. A good old fashioned exorcism may be the only option.

P.s. I thought elektron was no longer servicing MD? Is that just a MKI thing?

Oh man thank you! Went into test mode, all the lights and triggers responded, so I did a total factory reset and the trigs all came back. It’s working now.

I think it’s just a MK1 thing?? I hope, anyway…in case this comes back

2 Likes

Glad to be of service. I don’t have my smiling Uber driver meme on hand but the sentiment is there none the less. Nice work, glad it was a simple fix.

Edit: there we are.

2 Likes

The weird thing is, right before this happened, I’d power cycled moving the unit across the room, and when it came back on the screen was blank and everything was dead. Turned it off again and back on and it was fine but with those trigs missing. Dunno what that’s all about

Did you follow the 30 second rule?

(30 seconds between on and off / 30 seconds between off and on?) Just a long time precaution that I believe is also detailed in the manual. Frankly, I don’t know how much it matters but I try to stick by it.

1 Like

first time hearing this rule, can we fact check the manual reference?
i’ve been breaking this rule for many a year… and feel angsty.

fact check as in verify that it exists? I’m nearly 100% on digi’s, I thought it was in the MD and MNM as well. I’ll see if I can verify.

digitakt manual:

let me see if I can grab a MD manual real quick like.

I’m not going to read the whole pdf but I searched a number of keywords and didn’t get a hit in the MD manual which calls it out specifically like digi products do, so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I have seen people mention it in regard to legacy products, but the inclusion in the manual doesn’t seem to date back that far so probably not an issue.

it would make sense to reduce pressure on the ageing caps.

2 Likes

To err on the side of caution with that which is difficult to replace is fundamentally a step towards it’s longevity and continued use. That said though, I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it :slight_smile:

1 Like