Hailstorm - sample and drum synthesis sequencer

The Algorithm brought this:

Hailstrom, a four voice sample and drum synthesis sequencer played with capacitive touch strips. Created by a one person company (I have nothing to do with and just discovered today).

Interesting!

EDIT: wow the history of the creator:

12 Likes

want

1 Like

his website is blocked by my firewall, though
any idea how much this costs and when it is released?

1 Like

5 Likes

Norton says it’s a known dangerous site and blocked it so I couldn’t get to it either, but I have no idea what that means in practice or what actually triggers it.

Cool device, a little small for my taste but some people probably prefer it that way. A little pricey but it does do a lot of different stuff. Somehow reminds me of something from the novation circuit series but it might just be that neither has a screen.

2 Likes

There is not much said in the video about the internal sound engines (vs samples). Does anybody know more about that?

1 Like

No problems loading the website for me…

$8 USD shipping cost withing the US. I checked Germany: $35.95 (plus customs, most likely).

Well, it’s a new and innovative product with a mobile form factor produced by a new one person company with demonstrated experience building original synths. Saving money won’t be the driver for this purchase. Then again, I don’t think a big brand would sell it much cheaper given everything it offers?

1 Like

I haven’t read the manual, but there is one (if you can’t download it, send me a message and I’ll share it with you):

(But after a quick glance, I don’t see details about the synths.)

1 Like

Indeed, I cannot access it either

Strange there is no details about the synths

Since I’m not really into samples this would be important for me

1 Like

Hey all, I am the creator of Hailstorm. I was just told about this thread so feel free to ask me anything. I’m looking into why some folks can’t access my site. It’s strange that it seems to be only happening for some people. I just wrote a response on the video regarding the internal synth engine so I will repeat that here:

The internal synth engine is a simple kick, hi hat, snare, fm noise. Changing parameters like pitch and decay act as macros that control various aspects of the synth drums. The kick is a couple sine waves with pitch envelopes, hh is basically hi pass filtered white noise, snare is a mix of white noise and sine wave with pitch envelope, the fm sound is a simple fm voice with self modulation and modulation from a noise source. These internal sounds are meant to be a basic drum kit for when you are using melodic sounds for the samples. That way you can mix the two. I do so in the video at about 1:55

13 Likes

Thank you for answering here, @otem_rellik! Any chance to see the Hailstorm at Superbooth? (and well, to see you too, but first things first). :smiley:

No problem! I would love to go to Superbooth but I’m afraid it’s not going to happen this year. Maybe next year!

1 Like

@otem_rellik this is really cool, great work! Looks very intuitive and the performance effects almost remind me of the MPC XYFX or a KaossPad.

Thanks! Yeah, Kaoss Pad was definitely an inspiration for this. I used to have the mini red one.

1 Like

Since when do you own that domain? It’s possible that it has been used for something malicious in the past before you acquired it. Then it was added to some blacklists and some stupid “security” company uses that blacklist without checking the domains. It’s probably up to you to contact them in order to get your domain removed.

Is there any chance that the people who have problems to reach the site use the same software? Someone mentioned Norton… I’d ditch that anyway and stick to the windows firewall. It’s actually more safe to use these days…

Edit: Bingo: Safeweb

Norton doesn’t like the page for some reason.

1 Like

I bought it in June of last year. It looks like that safeweb link just changed from malicious to safe. Can folks who had an issue retry it now and let me know if its still blocked?

3 Likes

Works for me now :slight_smile:
(and used not to)

2 Likes

I clicked on “Submit Dispute” and said that it wasn’t malicious - at least they were responsive!

1 Like

Thanks for doing that!

1 Like