Guitar pedal connectivity?

After seeing a YouTube video seeing guitar pedals being applied to the Roland Tr8 I ordered one online immediately to connect to my Model Samples.

Now it’s here I’m struggling to connect it to my setup, I’ve got audio coming through but when I activate the stomp button the red light is activated but the audio disappears? I’ve got the TC Electronics Dark Matter Over drive pedal which I’m trying to input my Modal samples through going to an NI Audio 8 AI.

Can anyone please assist on how/if this is possible? I’ve been reading a lot about the signal from the outputs to the mono unbalanced pedal, impedance and reamp boxes, I’m so confused and I’ve already wasted £30 on cables…please help?

thanks

What kind of cables are you using to connect everything? A bit more info on your setup would help us help you!

I’ve been trying various cables, currently I’m using 1/4 mono jack splitter which runs from the Samples L/R outputs to the pedals input, from the output of the pedal I have a 1/4 mono jack cable to phono which goes into the audio interface. I hope that helps, I’m pretty new to this.

Thanks

It should be pretty straightforward, pretty much any cable should work. If you have sound coming through when the pedal is deactivated, there might be something wrong with the pedal itself… also, make sure you didn’t accidentally connected the cables in reverse (the output instead of the input).

I highly recommend the little labs Redeye 3D Phantom for interfacing your guitar gear with line level gear. Anyway you kinda need a reamp box and a di (redeye is both). Reamp box IN to your guitar gear, di OUT to your line level gear. I know some folks here like to forego these signal treatments and for sure some pedals and synths can accept a wider range of signals with fewer issues, I just tend to get better results using the right tool for the job. If you do want to go with a Redeye, note it is phantom powered, meant to be used with a mic preamp.

This for sure

I’ve played guitar for years and I’m constantly doing this with my pedal board. I kick my self hard each time I waste time troubleshooting only to discover that I’ve done something so basic.

OP, make sure your Gain and Level knobs are up on the Dark Matter. Make sure all cables are plugged all the way in. Try using a mono cable from either the L or R output into the pedal instead of a splitter from both.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response. I think Analogic has answered my query just a shame the answer involves a £300 solution. I can see why people pay the price for the analog heat now. These guitar pedals seem a lot of hassle and cost for what they are, unless I’m missing something? I see lots of people using them on drum machines and synths

1 Like

Don’t rush into spending £300 on anything. Check the basics first. This is a distortion pedal, pretty much the most basic type of guitar pedal (in terms of circuitry) possible. You should be getting some noise out of it with just a cable.

here’s a vid of the DM working straight with a TR-8 into his mixer.

5 Likes

Pedal manufacturers are getting much better at making products that interface with line level gear. Maybe seek out the right pedal before committing to the reamper/di route. My Meris Ottobit Jr. has a setting to allow either low z or high z inputs for instance.

I think this is a matter of folks chucking impedance matching to the wind and either accepting compromised signal integrity, or getting reasonably lucky with pedal in/out impedance specs.

Exactly!

You don’t need any special gear to get sound out of a guitar pedal using synths, I’ve used all of my guitar pedals on all of my synths and drum machines and never once had a no-output issue - except for all the times I connected them wrong, of course! :slight_smile:

Whether they sound good or not with synths that’s a whole different question where other gear might help, but I don’t think that’s your issue right now.

2 Likes

Yeah this is key. Impedance etc. is not your issue If you aren’t getting any sound at all.

1 Like

I don’t think this will work. A simple splitter cable will not sum a stereo signal to mono.
Try just running a mono cable from the MS Left output to the pedal, then another mono cable from the pedal to your interface.
You will lose any stereo width from your MS.
You’ll need a stereo pedal, or even a second darkmatter (they’re pretty cheap!) if you want to preserve the stereo image.

5 Likes

This. It’s called a splitter not a joiner for a reason. Don’t use splitters to combine stereo signals into mono.

1 Like

get a cheap mixer with an FX loop and use that.

It’s not always the case. As an example, you can’t use 1/4 TRS cables with Boss RE-20 Space Echo pedal.

If you just use TS cables with guitar pedals, you generally won’t go wrong. Any other messing about with TRS, splitters used backwards, cables knitted from Marino wool by Shaolin monks, will just complicate things. I bet there’s an exception somewhere where some boutique transparent boost pedal requires a cable knitted from Marino wool by Shaolin monks, but only on a Monday, and the sheep had to be facing due east when sheared. Great. But generally, guitars use TS, their pedals use TS, so if you use a TS cables, you should be able to connect anything to it.

Remember, guitar pedals are designed that even bass players can use them. They’re that simple.

4 Likes

Thank you all for responding, very helpful.

Now I have more information I’m trying a few new things, using a battery (instead of a power cable) and mono leads only. I’m trying to run the pedal through the audio interface, out through one audio channel via the pedal and back in.

Audio 8 sound card > phono to mono > guitar pedal > mono to phono > Audio 8 sound card.

Can anyone recommend the best way to route this in Ableton? I’m assuming you need to use 2 audio channels or a send/return function?

Cheers everyone in advance