Groovebox for live performance

Create a template with preloaded synths and samplers and a few fx busses. And just use that as your palette for a few months. Then tweak it a little to taste. That way you don’t use all the other tons of futures. The only thing you’d add sometimes would be an EQ or compressor etc.

As others have mentioned, digitakt would suit your wishes perfectly. And it adds the fun of adding your own home made samples from, your home :wink:
And once muscle memory kicks in and you’ve build up a project with useful samples it’s very quick to work with.

5 Likes

You are right. 8 tracks (kick, clap, perc, HH, HHo, ride, pad/atm, lead). Some FX and parameters to tweak. Session view. APC for building some arrangement. I have everything I need. Just make music.

1 Like

Also, as a hybrid approach, those Digitakt midi channels make for great controllers for Ableton Drum Racks… perfect for macro control.

1 Like

Ableton can do anything, but you have to prepare the project, map midi controllers and think things through. There’s also a real chance to get lost tweaking endless EQs, compressors and effect chains (which often happens to me in a DAW).

I have two separate hardware setups for different styles of music, one based around MC-707+TR-8s, other around Digitakt+Digitone. Both are great for live performance (and techno). It’s just a different approach that leads to different results.

I only know MPC from reviews and to me it looks more like a (limited) DAW in a box than machine for live tweaking. For this workflow I’d rather just use Ableton (with some willpower to hold myself back from going berserk on plugins).

2 Likes

Yeah, this is my issue. I have an RD9 and a DB-01 sitting here and I’d much rather find a way of using these for jamming away.

Love that Phara performance! I was happy when he announced he was doing that one. He’s got to be pretty close to top of my list right now, in terms of music I listen to frequently.

Seems like everyone pretty much has you covered here but ill add: one thing you might miss using only Digitakt for performances (if you chose to go that route) is the amount of effects some of the other options have - like the emx1. Currently I get around this for my jams by using an Erica DB01 through a Korg NTS1 for effects, into the DT ext ins. Its not “one” groovebox, but that combo is fantastic. Substitute any easy to control synth you like instead of the DB01. Or any multifx box instead of NTS1. Also frees up your “lead” track from your 8 mentioned earlier and you can break pads and atmos into separate tracks.

Another downside of DT is you have to get your samples set up ahead of time, but you may be better at that than I am haha. I always dread setting up samples. Much rather be in the synth space but with 909 samples too….

1 Like

So you have basic drums and bass covered, you just need more sound variety. Sampler like Digitakt could be perfect addition. It has very advanced sequencer, audio inputs, can be used as a monosynth (I was quite surprised with this actually) and it’s possible to quickly access all sound parameters with a push of a button for live tweaking. Also has cool performance features like fill, control all, temporary pattern saves/revert to saved state etc.

MC-707 is also good, compared to Digitakt it has more audio inputs, more effects, more powerful synth engine and stereo samples, but you can only quickly access 3 sound parameters per track in live use without additional midi controller (they can be different for each track though and you can tweak multiple tracks at the same time). Sequencer is not nearly as advanced as Elektron, although it does have some cool performance features of it’s own, like various play modes (fwd, rev, random…) etc.

The only issue is that the Rd-9 kick really needs to be used on it’s individual out otherwise it sounds weedy…

You could sample RD-9 kick into Digitakt.

1 Like

I was thinking if the device used must look the part for a performance too.

So, I’ve come round to considering the octatrack. I had one before years ago and it overwhelmed me. Maybe this time, with a specific goal in mind, maybe it will be better. Let me outline my intentions and then maybe an expert could put me right as to how doable it is.

• track 1 is kick using a kick sample chain
  • track 2 is hats using hat sample chain
  • track 3 is perc
  • track 4 is rides

So, all the left hand tracks, 1-4 are my drums.

• track 5 is pad/backing track sample
  • track 6 is audio through for DB-01
  • track 7 is sampling track for transition trick
  • track 8 is master track for master FX

Does this seem doable? Once it’s all set up, how do you think I’ll manage making patterns and improvising on the fly? The plan is probably to make drum and pad patterns beforehand and then improvise with the DB-01. With this setup is it easy to use the DB-01 sequencer and then sample a perfect loop and have that play immediately while I make another pattern on the DB-01?

Am I making a bad decision as this is all too complex compared to a more straightforward Groovebox? :exploding_head:

This is actually very close to my ideal setup as well, pretty much the exact same layout on octatrack as well. The DB01 has a simpler and faster sequencer for improv than a lot of grooveboxes out there, purely for its random generation and the way it uses it’s “layers” to change up the sound.

I don’t think it would be too complicated once you get used to the workflow. Added bonus you could set up the OT cue outs to preview your new pattern while the old loops.

To add: yes it’s more complicated than a single groovebox but it gives you a lot more control in a live setting than a single groovebox would.

2 Likes

Roland SP 404 MK2 with latest firmware update is a solid portable groove box!

2 Likes
1 Like

My latest thought in this - a hybrid approach. Use my laptop for drums (pre-programmed and ‘played’ using session view) and then have my db-01 and 303 feeding into my looper where I can jam sequences in on the fly. This way I get the drum sounds that I like and I get to twiddle knobs.

Has anybody watched this set? How is he doing such smooth transitions using only a single box?

which set?

https://www.youtube.com/live/VKV1sdt4qRY?feature=share

From opening post.

1 Like

I watched about fifteen minutes of it and I didn’t see anything inexplicable in terms of transitions. He’s just very good at it. The EMX-1 has nine drum tracks and five synth tracks, so a lot can be done with muting/unmuting within a given pattern. He’s not doing much with the Xone:92 mixer next to it.

1 Like

Do you think that he plans all the patterns in advance and so has elements that are the same in consecutive patterns? (To aid in the transitions)