Groovebox for live performance

You’re describing a laptop running Ableton Live and a Push 2.
This is where you’ll ultimately end up. Every ‘if only it could do this’ is a funnel system to Ableton.
Nothing else is going to give everything.

Next best is the MPC Live 2 that you already have, or the Akai Force.

Commit to what you have and make music for a while.

10 Likes

MPCs and Force are great for production, but not really best suited to live use IMHO due to only 1 project in memory at a time, yes you can probably work around it by having a bunch of different songs within 1 project but it isn’t optimal and requires a lot of pre planning. Of course if you don’t need to play lots of different songs without loading, then the Force with its macros can be very hands on.

Personally though I think that a couple of simpler grooveboxes is better and more flexible for live use, Electribes, Circuits, Volcas, Elektron or what have you, sync a few up and you can, with a bit of practice perform long sets in a DJ kind of way. Mixing between different patterns, more hands on controls, ability to run through different fx etc.

4 Likes

I should tattoo this on my forearm.

5 Likes

I think this is a really good point and something I often overlook.

You need to start by looking at your endpoint-so what do you want to achieve (not just ‘live performance’ but more specific - what genre, where will you play, set length, portability, what workflow/how will you perform (DJ like live stem launching with limited input (need something that can play long stems), pre prepared projects that you mangle on the fly in an improvised manner (this seems to be the elektron sweetspot), or fully improvised live)

When I play guitar live I have a few different set ups, my resonator slide guitar I use in my blues band live with a small valve amp is great for that but would be woefully inadequate in a wedding covers band.

I think what I am trying to say is that the gear should be an enabler to allow you to get the result you want-not something that defines what the results will be. I think with electronic gear we are guilty of wanting it all.

Yep, I think this sums up what I am saying. This gear may not get you the absolute best ‘production’ quality in a studio if you are looking to release music, but is more versatile and better suited to playing live, so if that is your main aim, it’s ‘better’ for being ‘worse’…!!!

Yeah, that pretty much sums most of us up in terms of what we need to do… we’re pretty spoiled with great options now-which is a double edged sword!

Why not just buy another EMX-1? I bought one a few weeks ago and I love it, there’s not much out there that is as jammable live.

I have a Syntakt which I really love, but mainly for production, as I do find myself doing finger gymnastics when trying to play it live. for this, I prefer grooveboxes to have all the knobs laid out ready to grab without switching pages etc.

I picked up the SH-4d about a week ago and it does have that EMX-1 vibe. Once you’ve put a pattern together it’s really well laid out for playing live.

Here’s my latest jam with the EMX-1

6 Likes

Been going over the replies in this thread, and I realize I’ve been thinking about this all wrong. What I need is a performance groovebox/sampler that’s geared towards techno and more programmed styles. Currently considering the DJS-1000 and the new Roland box.

That EMX Jam sounds awesome!

1 Like

Feels like the elektron digi range have this pretty well covered. Lots of people seem to swear by the Syntakt as the perfect all in one programmable/performance based techno box.

I guess it depends on how important sampling is to you though-the Digitakt maybe a better fit. Or the Rythm. Pricey, and I’ve heard mixed things (never tried it) but as a performance orientated techno box I think it ticks a lot of boxes.

I’d love to get hold of one, but the price is steep at the mo.

2 Likes

In the context of techno and groove boxes: I’ve been watching some live Dave Mech performances on YT.

He can really rinse the Elektron Digi boxes and his live stuff only reinforces my conviction that I already have more than everything I need already for OTB dance music.

YMMV

1 Like
2 Likes

So far I’m debating getting a digitakt, DJS-1000 or a Syntakt. First world problem I know but it ain’t easy deciding…

Workflow and kind of genre should point to a direction to go :wink:

• sampler vs. synth?
  • sampling and synth in one box (–> MPC or MC-707 like type of groove box)?
  • “programming” workflow vs. “live performance” features?
  • use in studio vs. use on stage/club?

Genre: techno

• sampler but needs an input for an external synth

• Already have other synths, so no

• ‘live performance’ of patterns with some improv, so performance controls required

• at home ‘club’ (aka home jamming to a party of one)

I think that rules out MPC and similar boxes…

I know you have the MPC live 2 and are not happy with it, but I don’t think what you have written above rules out the MPC, in fact I’d say rather the opposite!! But you may want to rule it out for other reasons.

The MPCs are samplers that can take the input and process external synths and can also act as a hub to control them from, they can work for ‘live performance’ allowing for track muting, individual pattern muting, changing patterns, live improvisation from the pads (either controlling external gear or launching samples), and adding effects via the XY pad.

The XY effects aside you can do all of that stuff on the fly without touching the touch screen as well using the buttons and pads (on the One, Live 2 and X)

I think from all your responses perhaps when you are looking at the ‘live performance’ v ‘programming’ workflow you may actually want more of the latter-ie a elektron style work flow where by you ‘programme’ the track and then ‘perform’ it by tweaking parameters. I think the pads etc make the MPC more ‘performable’ but that is perhaps not what you are looking for.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I returned the mpc live at the weekend. It just wasn’t for me. I didn’t particularly enjoy the sequencing and a lot of the features were bloat for me. I really miss those step buttons for sequencing!

Of all the devices I have right now… MPC Live 2, Analog Rytm mk2, SP404mk2, Syntakt, Roland Mc707, TR8S, plus more I’m forgetting… if I had to choose one box to do what you describe it’d be the Pioneer Toraiz SP-16, without hesitation.

All the other devices I have/mentioned have things about them that I really like, but if I had to pick one to do a live set on, knowing it had the features I’d want, and sound fkn amazing, it’d be the SP-16.

4 Likes

Yep, fair enough - I totally get people might not enjoy the workflow, but I do often question the too many features bit. It’s quite possible not to use them!

From what you’ve said above though I’d say a digitakt is the best bet. I’d have said a Syntakt as I strongly believe that’s the best all in one techno box around at the mo; but it’s not a sampler and you seem to be clear that’s what you need. Or the SP16. Harder to get hold of now and creeping towards overpriced in my view, but if you can get one they are great.

Other alternative might be the polyend tracker? Bit left field but allows you to programme and get into detail adding ‘steps’ l, samples, but then has a great playable ‘perform’ mode.

The sp-16 looks ideal, but as you mentioned, I’m struggling to find one, hence I’m interested in the DJS-1000 which looks very similar.

I spotted one FB Marketplace last night with a decksaver for £600, which is a bargain… I was tempted to grab it myself tbh… gear I really like I end up duplicating to have one in my studio and one at home.

3 Likes

I agree with this and I consider a controller for my laptop and ableton all the time. My current thought is to use ableton for drums and samples and hook in 1 other hardware synth for further hands on fun.

The issue I always have is that I just have too many options in Ableton… where to start?!?