Groc from Oddment Audio ( Granular Synth )

The description here is a little vague, no sense giving away all the secrets so early, but i like the idea if this means “playing notes” from shifting granular material. ( While still being able to do ambient granular stuff too. )

Also looking at the time line of the development so far, this looks quite early and still fluid with the hardware design. Would make sense for them to take feedback at Superbooth, and lock down hardware design after that, and maybe target end of '24 for release.

Oh, I didn’t even check — I assumed that they had separate L and R jacks. Technically, TRRRS 1/8" jacks do exist and you could have stereo balanced audio on a minijack, but they’re very rare.

1 Like

Looks nice, I wonder what price it will have.

Indeed, that’s why I mentioned it.

I mean, either it’s a typo, or you’re going to need a specialty cable… Not ideal.

If I were a betting man, I’d say it’s a typo.

I suppose it’s possible that they don’t know the difference, but that seems unlikely for anyone capable of bringing an instrument like this to fruition.

Anyway, I’ve got no vested interest in this box, that detail just caught my attention.

Cheers!

New Videos :

I really like the sounds in the first video. I think the second is to show some improvements in the UI.

I like that they’ve got the stuff to just show it raw like this without the skins.

2 Likes

Lovely :slight_smile: keeping an eye on this one.

They are adding a barrel connector as an alternative to supplying power over USB-C in their next prototype circuit board.

This is confirmed as the target release date.

Also they are giving the external control signal ports each a separate connector, or may keep them TSR connectors and go to 8 input / output signal ports.

Work continues.

2 Likes

A couple more demo videos.

First off notice the rework of the enclosures.

This video is labeled:
Groc - from train announcement to wavetable synth

This one looks at some basic controls on the granular engine. Shows the clarity and quality possible with their algorithms.

They report they are having good success with their development, and have hired another on to their team. They are building units for the beta testing that will start in July.

The two founders are headed with Groc to Superbooth ( thread ), where they will no doubt be picking up a little more notice.

4 Likes

I really like the color and design. It’s also small and can fit on my desk easily with all the other stuff. Definitely keeping an eye on this.

I must add I wish the usb cable was black or yellow…

1 Like

Really liking some of the sounds I’m hearing in these demos, seems like it’s going to be a very interesting and capable little device. The wavetable-esque stuff is nice.

Should be at Superbooth apparently.

2 Likes

They read your post. The cable is black now. :smiley:

2 Likes

Someone used my last name for their synth… Should I ask for some perks? :slight_smile:

Definitely reach out for legal representation!!!

1 Like

Perfect job for Jackie Chiles!

1 Like

The granular processing sounds great, but everything seems to be mono… does it keep the stereo field of the recorded samples when processing? And can the grains themselves be panned?

Pre-orders now open, $795 is the price -

2 Likes
6 Likes

^ I think this is the first walkthrough with narration, going from a basic sample and building a sound from some of the parameters. Worth a watch if you’re curious about how the synth works.

2 Likes
2 Likes