Green alternative to vinyl, but will we accept it?

No, I don’t have his scratching skills unfortunately…

This is not true.

It’s the sad, raw, uncooked truth that upsets people or even infuriates them.

no, it’s simply not true. vinyl as a format has inherent qualities (some would say deficiencies) that make music mixed and mastered for it sound a certain way.

Out of curiosity, have you ever played a record mastered well on a nice system?

I’m not going to attempt to argue about the musical qualities of vinyl because I frankly don’t care, but listening on a physical medium and looking at the artwork, included extras (if any), etc is a different experience to listening to an MP3/wav/flac. While I rarely buy records these days for various reasons and I won’t pretend that streaming is super green either, I also don’t care for shitting on them/ the people who like them.

Also for anyone interested this thread had a ton of great discussion on the subject of records’ and streaming’s environmental impact. I’m also working my way through Kyle Devine’s “Decomposed: the political ecology of music” to better understand the impact my favorite art form has on the world, and so far it’s a bit of a bummer.

No no no no! I will only accept sound made by decomposed dinosaurs. Second place goes to Dino playing a stegosaurus tail like a xylophone.

to be fair, I’d absolutely pay to see someone playing a stegosaurus tail like a xylophone. Maybe a mastodon ribcage too.

so you pay for their imperfect kinks?

I’m not an “audiophile”. As an artist, and maybe because I was born in 83, I just feel like the physical production of my music on a tape cassette or record (along with the visual artwork that goes into it) is the ultimate manifestation of my art. MP3 is a degraded manifestation, and CDs just feel lame to me. I admit it’s all psychological but that’s how I feel. I remember the feel and smell and visual stimulation of the physical products I grew up with and that’s important to me, experiencing something with as many senses as possible.

2 Likes

Just so you know, I am not shitting on anyone. I am just presenting a different way to look at it. Sometimes we develop “false gods”. I personally always seek such conflicting opinions about things I feel I start to believe in mindlessly.

I know, that of course it’s fun and cool to collect and play these vinyls on overly expensive audio systems. I’ve done that myself. I’ve spent money on this hobby. And some people buy these Magic the Gathering games just to look at their shiny artwork.

But deep down you have to admit, that this is no way an essential need that deserves to be machined and manufactured only for your very specific taste in pleasures. Because you can get that fix in many other ways already. It’s a bit pretentious, even lavish.

And the idea that streaming or listening to MP3s is more wasteful than making physical things out of petroleum is just ridiculous. Of course it’s not true, it’s illogical.

1 Like

It really feels like you’re inventing an argument here. Nobody is claiming physical records are necessary, of course we know they’re a luxury good.

As to your final comment, Check the thread that I linked. It’s unintuitive, but certainly not illogical. There’s a lot of information in there that shows that streaming isn’t exactly great for the environment either. Between the data storage devices, Internet infrastructure, etc. the incremental environmental impact of all of it starts to add up. Especially given the massive scale in the billions of streams that happen every day. I know but it’s covered later in the book I mentioned as well but I haven’t gotten to that point yet.

Looks great, I just wish they told major labels to go fuck themselves though, even though it makes sense from a business perspective not to.

1 Like

lots of people do, and they love the format because of them. and many artists, too.

I have multiple records and tapes that aren’t available in any other format.

Depends, we went thru this in the other thread. Downloading MP3’s is the smartest way resource wise, streaming and CD’s are about the same. Vinyl isn’t that wasteful when you consider that it stays playable for decades, longer than other formats in use.

2 Likes

In my life I’ve had my music go through records, 8track tape, cassette tapes, CD’s, MP3’s on iPods and computers, to streaming and on-demand.

Now I’m supposed to consider another alternative material for an existing medium?

They can take their enviro-friendly magical feel-good discs and shove it where the MP3’s don’t shine.

Im heading out to fill up my Jeep and I’m going to drive my dog to the park on the other side of town, passing 3 other perfectly good and closer parks on the way.

Why, because I hate trees? No, because my dog hates trees and likes variety.

1 Like

Say what now?

Umm, what? Isn’t that a bit like saying why use the ancient medium of analog synths when you can do it all on a ipad?

It is just preference.

I don’t really buy many records anymore, and I never did buy many aside from in my 20’s, my music does get released on vinyl though, and currently there is a 18 month backlog, which is largely down to major labels releasing stuff on vinyl cos its “cool”. I’m against that, but stuff like this could be a way to reduce the waiting times.

I’m not gonna argue about the environmental impacts of physical media. They’re well known but I will say this about digital. You’re centralizing control over what you have access too and moving that to a third party who may decide at any time that they don’t want you to have that album anymore. And the idea of keeping music around forever in the digital realm is also problematic.

1 Like

besides, streaming is just stupid when people could just download the music on their devices.

3 Likes

Once again, I am not trying to moralise. And I am not trying to put myself into some kind of higher place morality-wise. I am just inviting to think, the rest is up to you.

All I am saying that you have to admit that your pleasures are a bit too pretentious to justify looking for a “greener” alternative. Your behaviour can be “greener”, but not material possessions.

You’re wrong and your opinion is based on false pretenses.