Great reverb wanted

@Airyck or @obscurerobot an I use my DT as the audio input? With MBP on USB?

2 Likes

Itā€™s a good thing to try before you buy anything.

You could try doing it with a free or included reverb that you may already have. Thereā€™s a some freebees at Valhalla you could try too.

By using what you have you can try it out and see if itā€™s going to be something that works for you.

Then if you like it, you can buy better plugins and an audio interface with multiple inputs and outputs. The more inputs you have the more separate FX you can apply to your external hardware.

You may even start using GarageBand/Logic as a multitrack tape recorder. Or get into mix engineering in your DAW.

Either way, itā€™s better to get a feel first before investing money and deciding you hate it.

2 Likes

I have the OTO Bam and Golden Reverberator. Love both and they donā€™t overlap much, if you are reverb crazyā€¦ā€¦which I am.

I keep telling myself I need to add the CXM, but between the two above, I get plenty of lushness.
Still feel the pull of the CXM, but the Golden is very close.

Consider a Meris Mercury 7 and Golden Reverberator for less than the CXM and youā€™d likely be quite pleased with that dynamic verb duo.

1 Like

+1

2 Likes

4 Likes

So what does the extra Ā£Ā£ for a PCM or CXM get me? Iā€™ve a Blue Sky which I like but never found doing anything more than ā€˜putting some reverb onā€™ despite lots of experimenting.

Arenā€™t the other newer pedals like Specular Tempus, Source Audio and UA much the same as the Blue Sky? The CXM had me playing keys for agesā€¦I may be answering my own question to be honest, just the cost difference is pretty big

Because pedals sell much better?
Because the 19" is for studio owners while pedals are madefor a much larger group of pro and hobbyist musiciansā€¦

1 Like

Yes pedals sell better, but why not sell both? I thought it was weird that they went into Modular.
I think 19" rack units will sell a lot better than modular modules but I could be wrong.

1 Like

Iā€™d only buy a Meris 19ā€ rack unit if it was multi fx.

1 Like

Audiothingies Doctor A

3 Likes

Or even 19" half rack like Boss and others used to do. Pedals are largely a pain for me.

2 Likes

I love pedals. Maybe a guitar player thingā€¦
Maybe there is a market niche for a 19" enclosure for pedalsā€¦like a eurorack.
Customizing the aperture, all cables and power supply in the rearā€¦

1 Like

This is the direction I plan to go. Got a few UA plugins when I need a good reverb for recording. What I need is a good reverb for my modular. Trying to decide which Strymon I want.

2 Likes

Strymon have their own, a bit sterile sound.
For modular I would prefer OtO BAM.

1 Like

That was my take on Strymon pedals too.

I was originally looking at CXM before getting talked into OTO Bam. I donā€™t regret it.

I also have a Mercury7 but am contemplating selling it off. I love it for itā€™s plate setting. Itā€™s seriously my favorite but I can get the same sound with UVIā€™s plate plug-in. I donā€™t the use the long lush reverb it was intended for but it does small spaces just as well.

2 Likes

it depends what you are trying to achieveā€¦to some extent. Things like the Eventide Space and Strymons sound good (i own a Space) but they are more of an effect and they donā€™t disappear like the old Lexicons do. (I donā€™t have any experience with their plugins) And by disappear i mean they donā€™t seem like they are added on top - more embedded if that makes sense. I have the Lexicon PCM 81 and PCM 90 and they are class apart for mixing IMO. The trouble is they are not serviced any more so if anything more than the power supply fails you are on your own.

ps the MX range does not have the Lexicon magic.

1 Like

Have you tried programming your own reverb sounds with the Room or Hall Algorithms on the Space pedal?

I find that they can do the disappearing trick like the Lexicon PCM stuff if you do it right.

The Lexicon PCM stuff can be heard as well if you program them different from the presets. I really think the Space pedal can be on that level too.

Also wanted to mention Iā€™m a happy OTO BAM owner, but thatā€™s for itā€™s characterful reverbs that are heard on purpose.

3 Likes

If by programming you mean tweaking the presets, then yes, but I havenā€™t had so much success, of course that might be because it wasnā€™t immediately apparent what was possible, so I moved on because I had other options. I never tried the other way because (for subjective reasons) i never want to ā€˜hearā€™ the effect.

2 Likes

I mostly dug into the room and hall algorithms when I found myself exploring some of their higher end rack units. Like usual I try to achieve it with what I have first.

I have the Lexicon PCM bundle and was interest in how those (Space) algorithms held up against them.

I want to say I maybe had to adjust the high/low settings to get it to equal or better the PCM stuff.

After some tweaking I even preferred the space algorithms in some cases. Audibly invisible but in this particular case, worked better than the PCM stuff.

I really should make some presets of this stuff on the space pedal for quicker use.

2 Likes

I replaced OTO BIM & BAM with Lexicon PCM 92 and Eventide Eclipse over the last couple of years. Different animals for different scenarios. Personally, Iā€™m more into ā€œrealā€ acoustic spaces than obviously simulated, ā€˜90s Warp-esque reverbs, and the Lexicon in particular is good at that. Just not as good as a Bricasti.

1 Like