Great reverb wanted

Hi, I tried a CXM 1978 and liked it. Unfortunately it had been damaged in transit so sent back. It was a real step up, addictive, compared to the inbuilt in my XR 18 mixer or other pedal I use for guitar.

I would buy a CXM 1978 again, but, for the money, I can get a used lexicon pcm (not sure which I’d choose).

It’s for home fun at the moment, mostly on keys and voice. Good enough quality set up to notice good quality gear.

Do any of you experienced people think I should get a Lexicon PCM over the CXM? I know its one of those questions but hey, I’m interested in views and it helps me make decisions…

I think a lot of the CXM comes from Meris Mercury 7.

4 Likes

Yes I saw that too. I’ve no reason to give why I’m not so sold on the Meris 7

Haven’t heard the CXM but I have a UA Golden Reverberator and Plate B is the best reverb I ever heard. Maybe not experimental enough for you though.

4 Likes

You might like OTO Bam…
I love mine

8 Likes

Yeah - I was gonna say UAFX Golden too if it’s the vintage Lexicon sound you want. It’s absolutely stellar

2 Likes

If you have room in your studio for a huge rack device and patience to find one and get it recapped as needed then Lexicon has made some very nice reverbs.

Eventide Space is a great bread & butter reverb. There are plenty out there, so used prices can be very good. Eventide’s after-warranty service is good. The Space’s sound can range from very conventional to full Blackhole.

I had a Lexicon MPX500 (upgraded to 550 via a ROM swap). That was a good reverb, but I really love the knobiness of Space (and TF).

2 Likes

+1 for Mercury 7 and Golden Reverberator for CXM fans. Also, if you can find one, the Doctor A by Audiothingies.

4 Likes

These are all brilliant answers thank you. I was thinking of going big, top dollar though. I think its come down to CXM 1978 or, if it is a better reverb, a lexicon PCM. I guess that is my question.

These answers are already helpful

1 Like

I haven’t been able to compare many other external hardware reverbs - but I can warmly recommend the eventide space.

1 Like

I have the Eventide Space and love it.
I also enjoy the Empress Reverb a lot, it’s IMO cleaner, very capable, smaller, and as hands on as the Space.

5 Likes

For me, then, the deciding factor wouldn’t be sound, but age, maintenance, and tweakability. I think the CXM wins on all those counts and sounds good enough. But I’ve only had negligible, second-hand time with a PCM80, so grains of salt.

1 Like

I haven’t heard the Empress in person but I will say that the Room and Hall reverbs on the Space are very good.

I did some direct comparisons with the space and the Lexicon PCM versions. The Space can make things sit just like the PCM stuff. I feel like it’s on the same level honestly.

When people think of Space they think of Blackhole, but it’s much more than that.

5 Likes

Yup. That is really useful. I assume I would get a good lexicon but of course I might not. The CXM was, as I said in my OP, addictive. I kept meaning to go to bed, then not…

I have to assume you want hardware since you had a pedal and you want something similar but good.

I always feel like the “Dawless” are missing out on a lot. Even if you just use the computer as an effect rack you could get sooooo many nice reverbs with that money.

Lexicon PCM Native bundle can be found for less than $300 (which is all Lexicon PCM algorithms from the harware).

You can get most of the Eventide hardware algorithms too. Ultrareverb (while looking like it’s from the 90’s) takes it’s 9 algorithms from the H8000. It’s not the whole package but If you’re just looking for reverb… You can usually get it for $100 or less pretty often.

I know this isn’t what most people here want, but It’s worth keeping in mind.

9 Likes

I mainly use plugins but the one hardware reverb unit I have is the Oto Bam and it sounds sooo good. One of the few reverbs I’ve heard that actually make the sounds feel like they are in a room to me.

Also just love how the distortion works on it. Didn’t think I’d use a reverb unit as a distortion effect.

3 Likes

A further candidate is the strymon NightSky. However it needs some time due to its deep configurability.

1 Like

I totally agree with @Airyck, that the “dawless” are missing out. With the current sale going on you can get all the Eventide plugins for less than the price of a CXM 1978.

Also, that’s a crazy price for the lexicon bundle. They’re great too.

3 Likes

Ah, I play music with people that use DAWs, and I can assure you they are not as quick as I am to get something running ^^
I totally see the interest of a hardware pedal that works flawlessly and works as soon it’s on.

But yes, some great reverb on the software side for way less bucks, for sure.

4 Likes

Personally I like the old Lexicon stuff a lot. You can still get them cheap if you’re lucky.
Not so sold on plugin stuff. Guess it just depends on taste.

If I had to go for a pedal than the Empress Reverb that was mentioned is a really nice one.

1 Like