Granular hardware : options?

Bastl Microgranny is also an option. It’s pretty basic in the way that it’s only one grain at a time, sort of like when you do granular on a DT or OT, but if that’s the sound your looking for i would say it’s a pretty cool little device.

Zoia does granular too, if you dont mind the very minimal interface.

Still hoping for a dedicated Elektron granular someday, even did a mock-up some time ago :wink: :
50b24adc86d277785df71fda5a59d8f090e73fbe_2_690x478

3 Likes

Digitakt :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I highly suggest both Borderlands and Samplr for the iPad. A few others are Spacecraft and iDensity (as mentioned above). All 4 allow for live-input granular tweaking.

3 Likes

Nothing groundbreaking here, but after reading this thread I did some experiments on my OT to get ‘granular’ style effects. The intro (and outro) to the song is a sampled drum loop. I cut it up into tiny pieces and looped the samples, then used an LFO to modulate start times. In addition, I added comb filter and modulated pitch and feedback

6 Likes

Clouds sounds like complete shit, not tried Beads yet but Clouds really is out of date dude.

1 Like

I sold it because it was distorting pretty fast, indeed. But it does not sound bad, you need to really know it to find your way to a nice sound, I’d say.

I really dig Microcosm, it fits my needs in term of granular.
Haven’t mastered Beads yet.

Fair enough, I suppose my opinion is that it was an exciting concept - granular in Euro, six or seven years ago, but things have moved on a lot. I know the lady who makes it was never happy with the sound quality, which is one reason why she remade it.

1 Like

She thought it was just a weird, one off module. Not the gamechanger it became

I think it’s still relevant in a lofi sense. There seem to be a lot of people still taken by it. Beads is very, very different; it’s doing a disservice to both modules to call it a Clouds 2 imo (not that you are, just that so many people approach Beads that way. And then are frustrated when they find out how different it is.)

1 Like

That’s not the case for folks who are not into eurorack or music tech in general (aka the majority).

If I show my wife or a random friend what Beads or an OT can do to live sound they get really BIG blinking eyes :star_struck:.

1 Like

Sorry, poorly-phrased. I don’t mean conceptually it is not exciting anymore, I mean the technology has moved on in that short period of time, so the same genius who made Clouds a decade ago, has far better tools at their disposal to implement what they actually wanted to implement then.

2 Likes

To quote her when someone asked before Beads release what would be the difference: “Now I know what I’m doing.” :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Ok
What do you suggest then? What’s the cool, hip, trendy “now” thing?

I just could not get into it. I tried. It seems like part of the allure of granular is that you have more control over the samples and grains, isn’t it?
The Microcosm just kind of does what it wants. That’s cool sometimes, but everytime I put something through it, it was like: “ok bro, here’s what I got for ya”
Also, the filter stepping was intolerable for me, I could hear it everytime, then I couldn’t un-hear it.

1 Like

It’s not about

the point is, since the release of Clouds, and considering how popular it became, the implementation of granular in hardware has come a very long way, esp considering sound quality. Which is not to say things like Clouds and Phonogene are unusable - they are not, people still adore them both - just that the OGs of granular are showing their age in ways. But again, as samplers prove, that doesnt make them irrelevant.

Check this post by Emilie to get some idea:

3 Likes

I said the same thing about cassette tapes a few years ago. Now I’ve got mud in my eye.

Anyway, what are the alternative suggestions?

They’ve all been mentioned in this thread, I think. And, really, they’re all very different, so I’d take a hard look at them all to find out what’s best for you.

Well, ok. I spent half the night on YouTube last night watching demos and reading manuals of the devices mentioned here and came to the conclusion that the one that worked for me is Clouds/MicroCell, at least functionally.
The Instruo one is badass, but I’m not spending $650 on some niche effect module. That’s a little silly.

If the MicroCell is trash, then throw out one better that isn’t triple the cost.

If Microcell moves you, go for it. The power of suggestion is real.

I’ll ignore the sarcasm as I’ve already explained it has nothing to do with being hip or trendy it has to to do with Mutable herself discontinuing Clouds as she wasn’t happy with it. Having owned one myself I always felt the idea was great but the module didn’t sound good. I recall before I bought it someone on here comparing it to sounding like a broken digital delay pedal, and that about sums it up.

As I say I have not tried Beads but have read some people saying it isn’t really Clouds 2, it’s a different beast, but it is still granular.

Other more contemporary ideas in Euro would be the new Addac one, Instruo Arbhar or even Nebulae 2. Morphagene also loosely in that bracket.

What about the 1010 Blackbox.
I’m not so into granular, but on the Blackbox I always get some “musical” mileage out of its granular shenanigans